1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If not for Pistons, Rockets may have had 6th pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. 3pointer

3pointer Member

Oh man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that sux.. that is upseting to read!

------------------
    When will I reach 1000 posts ?

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Brimming over with Wrongability [​IMG]

One positive i got out of the Sam Smith article Craig Hodges: Living in Chicago and considering an NBA comeback.

Lets act now Rockets [​IMG]

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

Smegs Mock Draft

4. SmeggySmeg

Clutch,

Can't we still just do a draft day deal, we pick for them, they pick for us type of thing?????

Smegma

------------------

Smegs Mock Draft

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Not sure who you're talking about - Vancouver? That deal has to be dead because there's no reason for the Grizz to make that trade now. The 18th pick is just another pick now... they can't use it to free their obligation with Detroit.

Personally I think it would have been a great deal for VAN... they would have traded #6 for, most importantly, release out of a bad, bad trade obligation (that will haunt them next year) and gotten picks #13 and #22 to boot.

We would have had just one pick, but a good one. Griffin, Curry, Brown, and Battier are expected to go top 4. Out of Gasol, Joe Johnson, Sagana Diop, Tyson Chandler, Rodney White, Jason Richardson... if the top 4 went as expected, only one of those picks could have gone before us at #6. A shame all around.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited June 04, 2001).]

6. SmeggySmeg

I suppose i thought maybe Vancouver could draft for them with the #18 and give them the player, but i take it that is not possible.

Maybe they will do the deal anyway, and they get three first round picks this year to make up for not having one next year.

So, if i understand correctly the pick Vancouver owes detriot now has to be next year and is unprotected, if we had made the trade how would this have effected the obilgations we have with the Grizz, re Francis trade???

Smeg

PS Shouldn't you be in bed?

------------------

Smegs Mock Draft

[This message has been edited by SmeggySmeg (edited June 04, 2001).]

7. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

It was reported that Vancouver was willing to accept #18 as payment for the Francis trade.

I think we may end up with the New Jersey pick, if the hint that Doc Rocket gave comes to fruition. How about another hint Doc? Pleeeeease. [​IMG]

------------------

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

[​IMG]

That could have been a sweet deal for us. Probably our only chance to move up in the draft without giving up too much. I don't think our combo of picks will be that interesting to other teams, especially considering other teams that have some nice multiple picks as well and will probably want to move up.

As always, thanks for the info Clutch, I assume the Rockets are desperately trying to move up now, esp with the news of Chandler and Diop stocks falling.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Man!...that left a sour feeling...O well perhaps events will be better with the 3 picks.

------------------
    I eat nutria now..courtesy of mc mark!!!

10. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Man, that sucks! [​IMG]

As much as I like Dumar, I am pissed at him (them) for screwing us over (although inadvertently... or is it?).

The only way for Detroit to "redeem" theirselves is to trade their 9th pick for our #13 & #23. [​IMG]

Check out my scenario at
    Lunar Transport's MOCK ME Draft

[This message has been edited by MoonBus (edited June 04, 2001).]

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I posted something from Sam Smith's Chicago Trib article in Rocket!!'s "epiphany" thread. Looks like Detroit did all this and is set to take on Bo Outlaw and Michael Doleac (I would guess for the #9 pick) so that Orlando can open cap space for Antonio Davis.

It makes me believe that Detroit will not help the Knicks if they help the Magic. So, unless the Bulls want Rice, this might turn out to be a good thing (Webber-wise)...?

------------------

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Explain this to me like I was a four-year-old. So we didn't have the #18 pick to offer the Grizzlies. Weren't there... (quickly doing the math) 11 other picks out there between the Grizz at 6 and the Phoenix pick that they could have traded for? Surely the Grizzlies weren't entirely dependant on us to meet their obligation to Detroit. Why not trade for #17? #16? There had to be a way for them to meet their obligation this year and avoid the prospect of giving up their lottery pick next season.

------------------
    Bingbong was set up, led to an untimely death in the prime of his life for no other reason than pure malice. Things like that do not go unavenged. Sometimes it spills out onto the field of play.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Can Vancouver trade their pick next year before sending it to Detroit?

------------------
    If Bill Gates had a dime for every time Windows crashed...
    Oh, Wait!! He Does!

14. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

Don't the Pistons owe us a pick? Does anyone no what the deadline is for giving that to us. I'm pissed that Detroit screwed us but I don't think #6 was worth all 3 of our picks. Now, if we could talk "Crumbs" Krause out of #4 (Battier or Brown) then we would be in business

------------------

15. Band Geek Mobster

I guess I'm in the minority when I say I'm glad we didn't pull a 3 for 1 pick swap with the Grizz. I'd prefer a draft of Woods, Morris, and Ken Johnson over a draft of just Pau Gasol or Rodney White.

We have too many holes to trade 3 picks for only 1. The Rockets need at least 2 picks.

Like I said, I guess I'm in the minority...

------------------
    They're loud, they're obnoxious and proud,
    They are conscious but don't forget that theeeey're your future,
    These kids are accused for all the violence,
    You can't even keep them silent,
    You...thought you had...all the answers...

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'd rather pick up someone who has a much greater chance at becoming an impact player than 3 role-players. We won't have this kind of chance in a long time, as I don't expect the Rocks to be in the lottery for much longer.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited June 04, 2001).]

17. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

The plot thickens! The magic might send our #22 to Denver to satisfy their own obligation.
    http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,90~41982,00.html

Now we know why thy wanted to move up. Why did we have to give Orlando something for a pick they owed us anyway!?!

------------------

18. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Just a thought...
    How much do you think it would hack off Dumars if we sent Detroit's 1st round obligation owed to us to Vancouver with KT and Collier for SAR or their #6 pick.

Now that would be sweet....
    Paybacks are hell!

ROCKET!!!

------------------

19. Francis3

Francis3 Member

They are all screwing the ROCKETS OVER!! Im sure C.D has a plan up his sleeve to kick some ass.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

20. Band Geek Mobster

History of the Draft

Year No. 6/No. 13 Solid players in bold

2000 DerMarr Johnson/Courtney Alexander
    1999 Wally Szczerbiak/Corey Maggette
    1998 Robert Traylor/Keon Clark
    1997 Ron Mercer/Derek Anderson
    1996 Antoine Walker/Kobe Bryant
    1995 Bryant Reeves/Corliss Williamson
    1994 Sharone Wright/Jalen Rose
    1993 Calbert Cheaney/Terry Dehere
    1992 Tom Gugliotta/Bryant Stith
    1991 Doug Smith/Dale Davis
    1990 Felton Spencer/Loy Vaught

------------

I see as many impact players at 13 in this list as I do in 6.

I think the odds of finding an impact player are a lot higher when you have 3 first round picks than when you just have 1.

Also some well known 18 and 23 picks over the last 10 years are Theo Ratliff, Travis Best, Ervin Johnson, Wesley Person, Bobby Jackson, Quentin Richardson, and DeShawn Stevenson.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited June 04, 2001).]