1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Morey wanted Rondo, he would have landed Rondo.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Dec 19, 2014.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Right. The general consensus seems to be that it came down to price and risk. However, I want people to realize that price just doesn't mean for the Rockets. Its making sure that other teams don't steal players like Rondo.

Of course we know Morey is a smart guy that does his homework on everything. All of these factors were taken into heavy consideration I'm sure. Point being... there was a good reason why they didn't bump up the offer.

2. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Applause for DM. Sometimes the most important trades are the ones you don't make.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

No way to know how much Morey wanted Rondo or not. But one thing that I have learned about Morey- he seems to constantly be talking to other teams about potential trades and gauging the trade value of other players. Constantly. Any time when a sports network is trying to start a 'possible NBA trade rumor', it will list out the teams that might be interested and have talked to the other team about that trade. The Rockets, almost 100% of the time, are listed in the teams that might be interested. I think this is just Morey always checking to see how he can make our team better

Most of those trades don't actually happen. But Morey is always looking for the next piece, no matter how big or small. And if there is a big trade that the Rockets aren't part of, Morey will look to see if he could possibly help facilitate the trade as a 3rd team, even if it means we only improve a little bit.

4. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

The irony here is this move for the Mav's made them better against teams like us for the short term. Rondo's skill is driving the paint and our only elite defense against that is DH. When DH is off the floor we are almost last in the league in defense around the basket. Thing is Rondo is a streaky shooter very much like Ellis and his passing skill is similar to Ellis. It seems they traded better perimeter defense and driving into the paint in exchange for outside shooting. Rondo is not the greatest fit for the Mavs (and wouldn't have been for us either). Rondo is also highly prone to injury in the vein of Andrew Bogut so odds are whatever impact he brings could be brief. Their best bench guy was Wright and Nelson is a decent outside shooter (chowder barely played)- thins out their minutes coming from decent reserves considerably. Mavs are currently 19-8. We will see what their win rate is after this deal.

5. TheJet

TheJet Member

Something else to consider. Why were we only hearing about serious discussions with Houston and Dallas. If Rondo was indeed still All-Star Rondo you'd think he'd be in higher demand. Maybe other teams are satisfied with their PG play, or maybe he's just not worth the risk for most teams. I'm not saying Dallas didn't get a good deal. It's looking low risk/high reward for them right now. But folks blasting us (Morey) for not fighting for Rondo seems a little silly to me.

6. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I agree if Morey wanted Rondo...we could have had them...but of course he will never overpay for a rental unless it was Dragic. Not sure how Rondo would fit the team on and off the court.

I think Morey was playing games and pretending to be interested in Rondo so that it would make the Suns front office re-think their intentions of keep Dragic. The Suns know there will be many teams after Dragic in the off season and they might lose him for nothing.

This was a deploy to make the Suns rethink what they want to do with Dragic and also create a market value for Dragic.

Kind of reminds of when Carmelo was traded to the Knicks...right after DWill was traded to Brooklyn. So hopefully, the Rockets will have the opportunity to go in and get Dragic.

7. wise_man

wise_man Member

with ur kinda strategy we will never win. James hardeen =playmaker/defense/point guard/scorer= injury. No championship.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Besides his dropoff due to injury, many were concerned that he will test FA and leave for greener ($$$) pastures. It is worth noting that Rondo's camp specially mentioned the Rockets and Mavs as teams he would consider re-signing with.

Only Sacramento was crazy enough to take the risk with no assurance of him re-signing but of course the price wasn't right

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Sounds pretty presumptious per the thread title.

"You know...(Morey) you're not God! You're just a GM." (clap clap clap)

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I wanted Anthony Davis. I am dissapoint.

Haren, Davis, Howard would be good with Dmo as our 6th man.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

it makes sense cause if you look at all the real teams that are contenders needing a Rondo, they all have their starting pg in place. So their really isn't a reason why rondo would be needed. Dallas and Houston as the the two main teams in discussion isn't surprising. He's looking to go to a contender not just any team. all the pg's for the heavyweights in the west are basically all stars at the least besides houston and dallas.

12. Raven

Raven Member

People are going to b**** no matter what, and the idea of going all in for Rondo just to #### block Dallas is r****ded. He was a bad fit. Most of us knew he was a bad fit. Morey also knew he was a bad fit. It's over. Let's move on.

1 person likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

ultimately, i'd rather have dragic and rather rondo not go to dallas but this makes the games even more interesting now.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Thread title is pretty apt. Simple. To the point. And obviously true. It's just funny to me that Morey's self imposed deadline lead to a trade for other teams instead.

15. joeson332

joeson332 Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ We have 3 valuable assets in DMO/ T Jones and Canaan not to mention the Lakers' TPE and New Orleans 1st round pick, ALOT better than Wrighm Nelson, and Jae Crowder to be honest. I am willing to bet if Harden or Howard wanted Rondo they would have gotten him in a heartbeat

16. Ranny

Ranny Member

Guys we dont really know how well Rondo will do in Dallas yet, therefore we dont know if Dallas overpaid or not, time will tell. Chances are he will do very well, he turns them in a contender and therefore he was a bargain, but its not unreasonable to think that for several reasons he could also fail. The centerpiece of the deal was not Wright, it was the 1st round pick, something that we were obviously not willing to give up for Rondo, and maybe Cuban wouldn't have given it up either if we would have not been involved, this is likely what Morey achieved by rising the price tag up like Woj stated. We may have been right or we may be wrong, we will see.

It has been already stated by several media outlets and pundits that Although we were interested in Rondo he was no longer our top priority and that he was surpassed by Dragic on our shopping list, and potentially at the deadline or maybe earlier we may get him on the cheap, maybe even cheaper than what Dallas gave up for Rajon, and at worst a similar deal of the Pellis pick and fillers.

Think about this, its very obvious that Cuban's hobby seems to be getting in our way, and whatever we covet he wants as well, badly! This deal just got the Mavs out of our way indefinitely in any future trades we intend to do, and that should mean that our only real competition to get the Dragon are the Lakers which have next to nothing to offer compared to us, which also means that the Suns leverage to get a big package for him just shrunk big time, we shouldnt be surprised if Morey manages to get him a lot cheaper than what the Mavs gave up for Rondo.

17. SuraGotMadHops

[​IMG]

18. Raven

Raven Member

Unless he was simply helping to drive up Rondo's price as a way to stick it to Cuban.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm so happy they got rondo.

20. TheJet

TheJet Member

Jordan, Kobe, LaBron and Wade might disagree with you. The way Harden has been playing this season it's not out of the realm of possibility that he leads a team the way those guys did.

One elite player, one very good player and a solid surrounding cast can win a title. Personally I think we're a piece or two away. And we have a lot to prove in the playoffs. And we really need to see how Jones is going to fare. Dang.