1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Morey is fired over this, I'm out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by malakas, Oct 6, 2019.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Honesty apparently is not one of your principles. Morey did not express support for violent rioting and murder. "Stand with Hong Kong" does not imply he was expressing solidarity with violent criminal activity.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Upon seeing Morey’s support for Hong Kong, I can’t believe I missed the obvious comparison to Donald Sterling. One in the same these guys. I support all upcoming China sexual assault lawsuits against one Darrell Murray.

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

You're clearly a thoughtful dude, but I'm not sure double standard is appropriate here. Neither of them are facing/were facing legal prosecution. You don't see a societal expression --> economic pressure difference? If he went on Twitter and said ni**er, I think the connection you see would be useful.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

The National Basketball Association (NBA) and Tencent Holdings Limited, the Exclusive Official Digital Partner of the NBA in China, today announced a five-year expansion of their existing partnership that will see Tencent - the NBA’s largest partner outside the U.S. - provide extensive NBA coverage on its platforms through the 2024-25 NBA season, including live NBA games, NBA programming and interactive fan experiences.

Tencent, the digital media partner of the NBA in China since 2009, has streamed full seasons of live NBA games and content to its hundreds of millions of daily users under the current partnership that began in 2015. Tencent and the NBA also jointly manage and operate several other NBA services and activities in China, including NBA-themed mobile games, NBA social media accounts, and interactive fan events.

Last season, 490 million fans in China watched NBA programming on Tencent’s platforms, nearly three times the number of fans who watched the NBA on Tencent during the 2014-15 season. 21 million fans in China watched Game 6 of the 2019 NBA Finals on Tencent, marking the most-watched NBA game ever on a digital platform in China.

“Tencent’s commitment to NBA basketball in China is unparalleled,” said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. “The enormous reach and popularity of Tencent’s platforms have been a driving force behind the growth of basketball in China, and we look forward to deepening our connection with NBA fans across the country through this expanded partnership.”

“We believe that the enhanced partnership between the NBA and Tencent will take our phenomenal success to new heights,” said Tencent President Martin Lau. “Empowered by our technology capabilities, interactive platforms and content expertise, we will work closely with the NBA to further engage fans in China with sports excitement and technology innovations to elevate the passion for basketball, and to promote a healthy and active lifestyle."

The same Tencent that just banned the Rockets. I bet Silver is for sure gonna make Morey apologize and backtrack or he’ll have to gtfo.

5. HAYJON02

China is an overprotected teenage boy. One day, you'll be a man. Keep growing!

malakas, AroundTheWorld and HP3 like this.
  6. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

Thank you for the compliment. I just want constructive discussions here, although everyone here just calls you a commie if you express any support for China. Despite Yao, a Chinese citizen, being a HoFer for the Rox. We were supposed to be friends before this whole HK thing exploded in our faces

The only reason I even bother to leave comments here is bcs I care about this community having been a fan for 17 years now.

I know most people commenting here on the HK issue aren’t as involved or informed as me and they see the word “freedom” and “democracy” in the headlines and feel the adrenaline rush to pick a side.

Back to our discussion...Societal pressure and economic pressure are not mutually exclusive. When you tweet n***er your company is under both societal AND economic pressure to fire you. People will understandably boycott a company that employs a racist.

To me, what Morey tweeted also has both economic impact and societal impact. To Chinese people at least, tweeting support for the rioters in Hong Kong is basically saying it’s ok for HKers to burn down buildings and attack innocent mainlanders on the streets. both of which have become common occurrences in the “free HK” movement. Both of which should not be ok by anybody’s standards.

ivanyy2000 and desperatewife like this.
  7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Small penis syndrome

8. HAYJON02

Why should I support China?

9. HAYJON02

How old are you? Not productive or helpful. The only thing I can assume from this is that you really value big penises. lol

10. malakas

malakas Member

And if he tweeted "Abolish slavery" he would offend people from Mali.
    If he tweeted " Down with Kim Jong Un" he would offend North Korea
    If he tweeted " Gay people can marry" he would offend Brazil
    If he tweeted " Women are equal to men" he would offend Saudi Arabia
    If he tweeted " Dinosaurs existed" he would offend creationists
    If he tweeted " The earth is round" he would ofend Kyrie Irving.

So ?

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Extremely disingenuous to equate racism with freedom.

Morey's tweet had absolutely NOTHING to do with race, and you know it.

12. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

I never said he said anything racist

13. jayfree

jayfree Member

All I'm saying is.... if Brad Pitt can be welcomed back to China then Morey will be forgiven as well!

2 hour movie vs 2 second tweet

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Teenage boy with a rich, influential daddy who if you suck up to him can lavish you with gifts and take you to places you can never afford to yourself, and if you piss him off will make you a pariah with the rest of the kids in class cause they all want to suck up to him and wont offend him.

15. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

Never asked you to support China

16. HAYJON02

I wouldn't assume they were intentionally doing that. I want to hear their defense of China. Yes, violence is bad. That's not an explanation for their imperialistic attitude. Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't heard a good argument for China's perspective that doesn't sound state-ey.

17. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

Exactly. I’m saying that if you think offensive and violence-inducing comments are ok, then racist comments should be too. If you agree with that then we don’t have an argument here.

18. foggy94

foggy94 Member

As a reminder when hundreds of thousands of people are protesting against an oppressive regime that employs a violent police force, there is gonna be some criminal damage and violence. It doesn't invalidate the protest and the purpose.

19. HAYJON02

My bad. You're right. I read "our" and definitely mistook you playing devil's advocate for advocacy. Sorry!

20. HAYJON02

But, so like, where are the Chinese people? Somebody start a Jeremy Lin thread. I'm seriously curious.