1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Morey is fired over this, I'm out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by malakas, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

I was saying bye to OP because if you’re leaving the Rockets just cuz Morey gets fired you’re not a real Rockets fan anyway. So he’s the one leaving not me lol

So nah I’m good here.

2. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Morey isn't going to get fired, but Morey should not have involved politics in his tweets IMO. Yes, freedom of speech, but someone in his position should understand that what he says and does directly impacts the organization. Tilman at the end of the day is trying to run a business, so if he believes this tweet effects his bottomline, then of course he has the right to step in and address it. If I were wrong, then the tweet would never have been removed. A great deal of corporations out there monitor their employees social media pages for similar things, including more egregious things such as hate and sexism. The reason? Because employees are a defacto representation of their organizations at all times, whether they like it or not.

jcf likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The truth to all of this is to find out what the end game is in this. Is it still sports related for Morey?

Or does he venture into politics as well, or at least trying to stand up to Silver and his 'shenanigans'?

One has to question a lot more and go the length. China's issues is just the beginning and won't be the end of it. You heard me.

The Rockets will be caught up in the middle.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

not sure u can speak in absolutes when it comes to Tilman

to me, it all depends on just how much revenue the team will lose by losing their market in China...if the drop is significant, then there’s a good chance Morey is gone IMO

I think most owners in this type of situation would do the same thing if the backlash and dip in revenue is large enough...cash rules everything

Vivi and malakas like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have 62000 posts
    I’m not a sleeper troll account
    I’m a 99er
    @Os Trigonum
    So act like this is the golden brick road
    And ease on down the road Toto

jcf likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

wouldn’t surprise me if Silver is currently working behind the scenes to convince people in China that Morey was a fool who didn’t know what he was doing...then Morey will be made to do an apology/backtrack on his tweet...that or he ends up getting fired

malakas likes this.
  7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

tinman:
    [​IMG]
    I read this place all the time since it opened, but why are you such a gatekeeper? You're so needy.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You’re probably right. But I don’t think Tillman is a moron and that’s what it would require to fire Morey for this.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Or they are forcing him to submit his resignation so they have an excuse.
    "We didn't fire him, he left on his own"

Vivi and Reeko like this.
  10. sheb

sheb Member

Morey is probably costing Tilman tens of millions of dollars

It’s bad business to keep Morey, but it looks bad from Americas pov to fire Morey

I would hate to be Tilman right now, he as to walk such a fine line

My guess is a suspension, or a leave of absence
    Morey would still be doing his thing, but would disappear from all public outings and social media

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Fight for freedom! Stand with Hong Kong and Daryl Morey!

p.s. I ain't going to lie. I hadn't even followed this issue. Now I've read dozens of articles about it. If nothing else, this has put a spot light on Hong Kong. And, hilariously, if Tillman and China hadn't reacted as they had I doubt I'd have even noticed.

joshuaao, D-rock, hakeem94 and 5 others like this.
  12. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

He had a good run.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

It's not "just cuz Morey gets fired". It's WHY he gets fired.

If being a Rockets fan means I have to abandon my principles and morals then I'm off in a second.

durvasa and HP3 like this.
  14. HAYJON02

You are a Cold War casualty. I'm sorry you can't distinguish between quantity and value. You're like Mildred from Fahrenheit 451, surrounded by "family," and always prepared for presentational photography. That being said, I could be mistaken. What's your take on the thread count around the jersey lettering? It just seems like you are more interested in hot takes than substance. Why are you here? Again, I'm sorry if I'm totally wrong.

hakeem94 and Icepiano like this.
  15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

+1

A team that fires its GM (whom he supposedly recognizes as the best GM in the league) in deference to an authoritarian regime's propagandized citizenry has major problems. I wouldn't abandon the team, but I'd abandon any confidence in the ownership.

Williamson, joshuaao, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  16. HAYJON02

Yeah, deep down I know I'm more like you. I might not go out to spend money intentionally, but I'd totally still turn on the game.

HP3 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There should be more articles on Ben Mac and Anthony Bennett........I am being serious.

Williamson and D-rock like this.
  18. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

I assume your principles here refer to the fact that Morey exercised free speech and should not be fired.

But at the same time did you think Donald Sterling should’ve been banned from the NBA?

if your answer to both is no then I can respect your opinion and principle.

But if you think what Morey said is ok but what Donald said was not, that’s where I have a problem with your double standard.

What Morey said has real consequences because he tweeted support for violent riots and murder accomplices.

So yes, gotta pick where your principles are.

desperatewife likes this.
  19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Adam Silver should take a stand here and show solidarity with the Rockets. He should put out a message that the NBA stands with Hong Kong. Dare China to ban the NBA as a whole.

20. malakas

malakas Member

LOL at equating racism with support for HK!!

I absolutely do not see the HK protests as murder accomplices but a fight for freedom against an absolute regime and human rights, like the right to elect their own representatives and the right for justice and for a fair trial.
    So no double standards.

beard4life, AroundTheWorld and HP3 like this.