1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF Melo goes on the trade block, should the Rockets get him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Absolutely,

I wouldn't give up Parsons, but a deal for Lin/Asik + Picks is a no brainer.

Carmelo can play the stretch four position with no difficulty whatsoever, can nail three pointers at the top of the key at 35-40% clip and will rebound the hell out of the ball. He is also bulky enough to defend other fours in the post or stretch fours on the perimeter. He adds an element to this team that it hasn't had since Luis Scola, which is a legitimate post player.

Beverley / Brooks
    Harden / Garcia
    Parsons / Casspi
    Melo / Jones
    Howard / Dmo

Melo is currently taking 21 shots a game. Lin is taking 11, and Jones has been taking 10 in the past five games, so I think you can find more than enough shots to go around for everyone.

2. westcoastin

westcoastin Member

No thanks. Not a fan of high-volume, low-efficiency players.

3. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO!

Melo is my least favorite player in the league. Watching him play is painful.

4. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Hell no. If you guys complain about Harden, you might as well shatter your computer now if we get Melo.

5. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Melo hates passing the ball. Harden leads the team in assists. Harden is the better player while being significantly younger. if you think the Rockets will trade Harden to get Melo you have rocks in you'r head.

6. vlee

vlee Member

I don't think Melo would want to be traded to the Rockets. He (and LaLa) wants to play in a big market. LA and NY are probably the only two places that he'll be happy with. He wants the bright lights and the media attention. If the Clippers can figure out a trade for him, Melo would most likely re-sign with them. He and CP3 have always wanted to play together. And CP3 is probably the one guy besides Lebron that won't have a power struggle with Melo. Melo knows he won't be the alpha dog in either situation. I just don't see him re-signing with the Rockets.

7. johnnytsunami

johnnytsunami Member

...really?

First of all, there's pretty much zero chance we would get Melo via trade. Yes, Asik is a starter caliber center and a defensive beast, but dude's got stone hands and little athletic ability, offensive dud -- he's essentially a one-way player (yeah, 27 is still relatively young and he could improve his offense somewhat, but the ceiling's awfully low offensively). Who else might be in the deal? Lin? I think we'd all agree the Dolan/Lin relationship is beyond repair (not really a point in going further in-depth than that, is there?). Parsons? He's good, but no star, borderline All-Star at best. TJones? Jury is still out on what he might become, but at this point, not enticing enough. DMo? Same as TJones but with a lower ceiling. Picks? We have a couple non-lottery 1st rounders and a plethora of 2nd rounders. No chance any combination of the above would be enough for Melo.

Secondly, if by some miracle the Knicks decided to trade Melo to us (maybe Morey uses his superhuman persuasive powers), why the heck would you be against it? Let me say this first: I don't like Melo. But I respect the hell out of his game, and y'all should too. If we did get Melo, the combination of Harden/Melo/Howard would be ridiculous -- in a good way (we'd have three top 15, maybe top 10 players in the league). Sure, we'd have problems: two ball dominant superstars and a superstar who constantly demands the ball in the post -- but we would have three frickin' superstars. I don't see how if given enough time (half a year to a full year), they wouldn't learn how to play together or at least play well enough together to give us a great shot at winning championships (yes, multiple). Harden already has plenty of experience playing with two ball dominant players in Durant and Westbrook, plus Dwight and Melo have played together in Olympic basketball. I'm pretty sure prospects at multiple championships would appease their desire to want the ball -- at least enough to where they can play together effectively and contend for the next 3+ years.

Of course, it ain't gonna happen, but some of y'all need to give respect where it's due.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

D12 didn't come here to play with Melo

and Melo not coming here to join Lin

9. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

This thread obviously has less to do with signing Melo, and more with getting Lin back to New York so the basketball mecca can relive the Disney movie which is his life.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Definitely do not want.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lin for Shumpert?

AB for 6th man again!

12. James88

James88 Member

In what universe does Dolan want Lin as his franchise star?

It ain't happening.

13. jason330i

jason330i Member

FIFY. haha.

i kid, i kid.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yep 3 super stars. But would you bet against LBJ 3v3? Thought not. You get Harden and Howard, surround them with a great supporting cast, and bet that you can marginalize Bosh and Wade, and then run at every opportunity hoping to wear the old guys out.

15. Possum

Possum Member

Put me down for a HELL NO!!!!!!!!

16. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Aldridge is not available, the Blazers are 9-2, holy hell this forum needs to get over LMA.

Not to mention Carmelo is probably better in the post than LMA... again, 90% of the people in this thread don't even watch Melo play and are basing their assessment of him entirely off media stereotypes.

17. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Melo or harden. Easy pick

18. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

No we don't need another player that struggles on defense lol

19. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

That's almost the Knick team from 2 years ago. F NO!

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yep. It is remarkable how often CF members want to re-create failed experiments.