1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Les really cares about winning he needs to do it by selling tickets to people who care about the

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ghost_of_Akeem, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Jail should be for those who pay for them, end of story.

2. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

That's the part I want to know

1 person likes this.
  3. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

At least people are actually there, the crowd gets involved and the atmosphere overall is much better than the Rockets games (except for the playoffs, went to 2 games vs Portland it was amazing, last year vs Okc as well).

I went to the Colts game this year and it was one of the best live games I ever attended in Houston.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Home court is a factor, but to be honest i've never heard of a superior team getting beaten in a 7 game series just because of HC, in fact for most teams they toil around the entire year to get the higher seed and then they lose the first game and HC advantage is also gone along with that. Not sure why Les Alexander has to do a screening process first to find out if fans are die hard Rox fans before he sells them tickets. :confused:

TBH I don't really understand the point of this thread at all LOL, is Alexander supposed to lose money just so they can have a louder arena? Isn't a louder arena supposed to be the point of the Red Rowdies?

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

So do you want to buy them all and sell them to those who you think deserve it?

6. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

What's wrong with the idea of the Rockets or Toyota Center staff coming up with a plan to offer discounted lower bowl seats if by halftime the original ticket owners haven't showed up?

They could come up with a new pricing plan.

Basically a slightly cheaper season ticket package for lower bowl seats. HOWEVER, if you don't show up by halftime your seat(s) will be sold. Conversely, at halftime you can have an ad on the jumobotron say something like (we have XYZ number of lower bowl seats up for grabs at $10 a piece, please logon to your Toyota Mobile app or text this number to apply).

It might take some coordination, but it could work out if planned correctly.

7. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

I think it happened in Miami during the big 3 era. There were tons of Heat fans that couldn't afford the huge surge in lower bowl prices. So every nationally televised Heat game would show their lower bowl at pretty much 50% capacity and it just further fueled the criticism for Miami not having true fans.

I'd imagine some of the franchise cities with average incomes on the lower side gaining a ton of star power may suffer from the same problem.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The problem is security shutting down any fun in the lower bowl. Just because someone has a job doesn't mean they don't want to stand and scream. You don't have to give away tickets and you won't lose any sales.

I bet this front office dislikes the rowdies. If you act like a rowdy but sit closer to the court, you will be talked to by security.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

It's the same now in Miami. That's how Miami is. That's how a lot of big markets are. (Laker, Knicks, Heat, Mavs games have a lot of empty lower seats at the beginning of games and start of 2nd halves).

But none of that matters in the playoffs. They all show up in the playoffs.

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Reminds of last year our first game against Lakers at home. I was about 5 rows behind the ROCKETS bench yelling Lakers suck every time they came down my end of the court. Security said if I didn't stop I would get kicked out. Everyone around me was like wtf? Even the old conservative fans.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe the presentation of the team is just too urban for some of these fans to understand.

12. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

GTFO!

You are the bad fan.

13. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

The Rockets home crowds are very disappointing, I wholeheartedly agree.A coworker and I were given two floorish level seats (19 rows up) for last season's OKC game where the rockets scored like 19 pts in the second half....

I was so excited to be there. I never miss a game. During the player introductions I was on my feet applauding, and everyone around me was just looking at me like 'wtf is this guy doing?'

The arena was hardly filled up. I was surprised to say the least. Luckily, by the second half it did seem pretty packed so that was cool. However, there was a group of 6 people directly behind me. Three dress shirt and tie corporate dicks with their cookie cutter wives. They were talking about anything and everything except about the game. I just couldn't believe it. Epic tickets to a great game and you just treat it like a 'sit and chat' with your group of friends the entire game?

Special kudos to the little Asian kid and his friend two rows ahead of me who were going absolutely ape **** on almost every possession. I still remember the kid screaming, "PUSH THE PACE" every time we got a defensive rebound. He didn't care about all the dirty looks. Fans like him seemed to be few and far in between.

The home crowds are completely lackluster. We seemed to have more enthusiastic fans at the Denver arena a few days back.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Some of you guys need to see what is going on with Levi's Stadium (new home of the 49ers) and will happen with the new Warriors stadium. Unless the fans are willing to shell out big bucks for the games like in the playoffs, we will continue to have an apathetic lower bowl.

15. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

I'm curious how OKC has managed to gain such a good reputation for their crowd. Their home games almost feel like NCAA basketball crowds. Especially given their multiple all-stars, I'd imagine their lower bowl tickets must be pricey as well.

Unless there are just simply no businesses in OKC whatsoever and all tickets are dirt cheap?

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It's the only pro team that town has thats why.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Best post.

18. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

I wonder if clutch can get into Les's ear and talk to him about it? Maybe even suggest something like this ^^. Or someone on Twitter can find away to let someone in the organization know...

Wont hold my breath.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That wouldn't work because everyone would just buy the cheaper tickets, it'd basically be Les lowering the ticket price and conversely praying that he makes up the difference from upper bowl fans wanting to get discounted lower bowl tickets.

Why give up a guaranteed $100 for a $50 + .50(x)?
    Having a louder arena doesn't put more money in Les's pocket.
    I for one would love an owner that loved the team more than money, but let's be real those don't exist. Even Cuban wouldn't just give away cheap tickets just to get a louder arena.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you think Les would LOWER ticket prices??
    [​IMG]