1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

if i hear marc jackson's name one more time ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shandon Anversen, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Shandon Anversen

exactly my concern. it's nothing personal against mjax. i just wonder if he's really what we need.

2. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Marc Jackson

[​IMG]

now what happens?????

------------------

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

you lost me there Mateo

------------------

4. Shandon Anversen

i didn't hear it, i read it. now what?

nanny nanny boo boo!

5. haven

haven Member

Verse: you nailed the part about him being a power forward.

He doesn't block shots. he's 6'10. He's not extremely athletic. He doesn't have a post game. he shoots jumpers facing the basket. His defense is mediocre. That's a PF. He's played C because his shot isn't that great and he's a bit slow for a PF, and a little heavy (270lbs). Besides, the bar for centers has been sliding over the past few years.

But Marc Jackson isn't someone that's going to put you over the top. And he isn't someone who's that "last piece." I think Houston should be pursuing raef lafrentz with everything they have, personally. Perhaps Dan Issel wants Shandon Anderson? [​IMG]

Jackson had half a good year for a really crappy team... and he didn't even play that well. Oh, and his fg% wasn't that great, either.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

6. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I don't care if it's Marc Jackson or Pig Miller. The Rockets are in dire need of a rebounder, though drafting Griffin definitely helped, that's not enough. Whether it be a center who can start, or a backup PF that can share the spot with MT, next season would totally hinge on that.

------------------
    Louisville Rockets my ass

7. NJRocket

Lets all just face the facts...

1) IMO, there is NO ONE in the league that can beat the lakers in a 7 game series as of this moment. For G-d sakes, they just signed Samaki Walker (an improvement on Horace Grant) and Mitch "Sure I'll forfeit a few million for a ring" Richmond.

2) Other than C Web, there is no one that can push the Rockets to the next level needed to win the west.

3) Caproom (cash) is king again so lets see who is avalable next year instead of signing marginal players to fill a roster. Maybe we get a shot at Raef next year and don't blow it because of loyalty.

------------------

8. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Since everyone seems to be convinced that Dream will be departing the Rockets sometime this offseason, let me pose this question:

Who will rebound for the Rockets??

Cato?? [​IMG] Not likely. Even when he's healthy, he doesn't rebound worth a damn. I remember games in the 99-00 season where I'd get excited when Cato finally got a rebound in the 3rd quarter.

Taylor is a mediocre rebounder, and definitely not a 'banger'.

Griffin could possibly rebound for us if he were to get 35 minutes per game, but he'll be unlikely to get more than 20-25 for some time.

Last season we relied too much on our guards to rebound, and opposing teams are going to be more likely to focus on boxing them out this season; therefore I doubt Francis will be able to grab 7 rebounds per game like he did last season. Those rebounding #'s for a 6'3" point guard are incredible.

The point is, Marc Jackson would be a useful commodity for us, and could possibly provide immense value for the Rockets if we lose Dream. The reason being is as follows:

In 48 games played (35 of which he started), Jackson averaged the following:

46.7 FG%
    80.2 FT% [​IMG]
    29.4 min/game
    13.2 points/game
    7.5 rebounds/game (2.5 offensive & 5.0 defensive)

7.5 rebounds in 30 minutes is very impressive. If he gets about 35 minutes per game on average, he could definitely be a 15/10 player who gets 3-4 offensive boards per game. Considering how many close games the Rockets are involved in, a guy who gets few extra rebounds and tip-ins is exactly what the Rockets need. Plus the guy can flat out shoot free throws at 80%, how impotant is that late in games?

To address some of his knocks:

His blocks were not impressive at .5 per game, and he averaged about 1 steal per game, which is decent. However, I've heard some knocks about his lack of a post game, and that he's a 'mediocre' shooter with a bad FG%. If he truly is a bad shooter who mainly takes jump shots, then his 47% FG percentage is pretty darn good, considering he really didn't have many guys on his team to 'create' for him. His defense can't be any worse than Cato's, and apparently his work ethic is damn good, because he went from a 2nd round pick in '97 (I think) playing in Europe, to a near Rookie of the Year in '01. Last season was his first year of professional NBA basketball, so his room for growth should be tremendous if he is to stay healthy. Also, his abilities to shoot from the outside will be useful in games where we play Shaq and other big lugs who like to camp out in the paint.

Anyway, some more downsides are the possible 'Ike Austin' risk factors, where he is just a one year wonder who doesn't pan out, or that we sign him to a big contract and he fizzles like Cato has done so far. However, if we lose Dream, it might be worth taking a risk, as he's probably one of the top 10-15 'centers' in the league, or at the very least has the potential to.

On a side note: Verse, could you please not refer to Kelvin Cato as 'Kathy Cato' ? [​IMG] First off, I think the 'proper' feminine name for him is "Kelly". Also, my girlfriend's name is Kathy, so I don't want to accidentally picture an underachieving 7 foot center in my mind whenever we're fooling around [​IMG].

Sorry about the long post, but I still think Jackson is a commodity.

9. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with haven. I have yet to see a post game from Marc Jackson. He didn't have one in college. I still haven't seen one in the pros. I think paying him 5-7 million is too much. At least when Ike Austin got his fat contract, he proved it over a course of 2 years, spot starting and backing up Zo on a playoff team. This guy proved it for the Warriors for 3 months on an atrocious team. I'll pass.

------------------

10. NJRocket

Although I still don't want M Jax...i still enjoyed your post Red

------------------

11. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I'm curious, I've only seen Marc Jackson played once, what would his game be compared to? He sounds like Jahidi White with better scoring and less shotblocking.

------------------
    Louisville Rockets my ass

12. NJRocket

He is also a little less agressive on the boards than Jahidi

------------------

13. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

The funny thing is Jahidi played on a team that was even CRAPPIER than the Warriors. So don't say Jahidi is so great, when you say Jackson isn't good because he was on a crappy team.

------------------
    ZeColmeia on stealing: "I did not steal anything. Ive used some of clutchcity player profiles when I first created the draft profile page."

14. NJRocket

Who said anything about Jahidi being great? Or even good for that matter? Did i miss something?

------------------

15. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Probably the most obvious difference to most of us is that Francis has never posterized MJax [​IMG]

------------------
    It's a simple yes or no question, Doctor. Would you eat the moon if it were made of ribs?

16. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I've read Jahidi White threads before. Hopefully I won't see the same garbage about Jahidi in this post.

------------------
    ZeColmeia on stealing: "I did not steal anything. Ive used some of clutchcity player profiles when I first created the draft profile page."