1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

if harden doesn't light it up tonight and lead us to a win against the dubs...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Jan 21, 2015.

1. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

It's about the game plan. do we have a game plan to put harden into scoring/assist position when the defense takes away his one on ones? can our perimeter guys make their shots early in the game to spread the floor for the third and fourth quarters? have we practiced running harden off screens to get the pass? can any of our other guards pass and defend their own guys? can our big men punish their bigs to free up the perimeter for 3s? are we flexible to adjust our game plan if the dump it to Howard / harden ISOs aren't working? this is a stupid line in the sand.

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I can partially agree with the op but not as it relates to the mvp race. I've seen harden develop that clutch "I'm going to take over" gene this season in the 4th when it matters. To say he can carry the team when it matters in the playoffs I want to see him show up the same way in games like this when the expectations and need for him is high. I don't want our team to depend on it, but I'd feel even better about him knowing he can do it.

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Dream scenario:

Chef Curry wins MVP.

We play them in the playoffs and he receives the award the night of Game 1.

HarDen destroys the Warriors in 6.

1 person likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Harden needs to show up tonight.

media propaganda is what wins the MVP award.

He needs to drop 40 tonight and get the win.

He loves playing in there arena as well.

5. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Is this a legit question? The criteria for MVP has never been best player in the league or most outstanding player. It's always given to the judgmentally most impactful player on a top overall 1-4 ranked team.

The media essentially goes down a list of teams ranked by season end standings. In years past it might've went something like this... Detroit in first place? Okay skip... Spurs in second? Nope, skip. Phoenix in third? Let's give it to Steve Nash.

If the Rockets do not grab at LEAST the 2nd seed in the west, there is an extremely high chance Harden does not win MVP. The only other alternative is if the media breaks historical precedence, which I wouldn't hold my breathe for.

In the long run it really shouldn't matter though. Advancing past the first round is priority number one.

6. kemah

kemah Member

Just trade the bum already.

7. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

4 regular season games. :p

8. Shanxter

Shanxter Member

Everyone is picking curry as the MVP at the half point. Harden needs to make a statement

9. hakeemthagreat

Harden needs to do other things when his shot is not falling. This is why his playoff perfomances have been so poor. It's like he just shuts down and doesn't want to do anything else. Rebound, defend or get teammates good shots. This is the ONLY part of his game he hasn't mastered. If he gets others involved early it'll open those lanes later in the game

10. cbk41

cbk41 Member

I think Harden is pretty content to sit back and dish the rock as long as the shots are falling when he does and it's keeping the scoreboard moving.

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

what he has been doing this season though........

12. ksny15

ksny15 Member

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Harden has help. Howard is no scrub(even though he does take some quarters off). D-Mo is a solid post player. Ariza is a terrific defensive stopper(and occasionally solid 3-point shooter). The Rockets' bench is pretty good too.

Are the Rockets as loaded as the Warriors? Of course not. But part of the reason there's such a burden on Harden is that the team has never implemented a more diverse offense that can get their players(including James) easier shots.

And another thing. It's not a disqualifier for MVP if you have help on your team. Durant had Westbrook and Ibaka last year. No one penalized him for that. LeBron won it several times playing alongside Wade and Bosh.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Also Kobe finally won his first MVP the year Pau joined the Lakers, idk interesting to point that out.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Basketball is a game of matchups. If Harden matches up poorly against Klay, the logic doesn't follow that Curry is the MVP.

It's the entire body of work - not the head to head matchup.

Being a homer or non-homer is irrelevant to solid logic.

16. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

This game is not and should not be about Harden. It should be about the Rockets giving their best effort, making adjustments, and either winning or being competitive to the last second.

Individual awards take care of themselves....but team pride and effort comes only through hard work. Let's see it tonight.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

If OP doesn't get a valentine from Chandler Parsons, he should bow down to God of Trolls, at whose altar he worships.

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

That....supports my point lol.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Disagree of course. Most Valuable Player is about who means the most to his team. Individual head to head games are irrelevant.

Curry has the vastly superior team and coach. The Warriors deservedly kicked the Rockets' asses this year, as they did the asses of most teams in the league. And unlike any other candidate, I leave myself fully open to Curry as MVP, that's how good he's been. I also fully expect him to win it and I have no complaint about that. But head-to-head is far from a clincher, and Harden has, to this point, meant more to his team than Curry if you ask me.

EDIT: I will say, completely aside from it being against Curry, Harden can't be dropping any more stink bombs like that and hope to keep anyone's vote. Who he's playing is irrelevant, he just needs to be the best player on the floor every night.

#79 CDrex, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  20. Dynamo

Dynamo Member

With the media disbandment of the Rockets, it almost seems fruitless to discuss Harden's genuine merits for the MVP. All do respect to Curry, but Harden is on another level than anyone else in the league this year IMO. It's frustrating that popularity contests carry real weight in generating a player's credentials to be carried throughout history. Case in point is Kobe being voted as a starter into an all-star game. History likely won't remember the context but it certainly will be reflected in his all-time stat line. I fear of an erosion in credibility for the league and important stats. All that being said, I am interested to see how the Rockets handle the Warriors tonight and hope Harden has a big showing.