1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If given the chance to land Iggy, perhaps its time to trade Ariza?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chronz, Jan 3, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I disagree completely any good leader knows when he has made a mistake and does everything he can to rectify it....and can use the McGrady contract as a PR way of saving face...

Well, we wanted Trevor but so did they....etc..etc..etc..

DD

2. towW

towW Member

You just robbed them of their nucleus.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Would do it.

4. DaDakota

Me too.

DD

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Trevor continues to be a very good player.
    Trevor does not produce as efficiently on the offensive end as we want.
    Trevor does not have a contract that makes him hard to move or makes it hard to acquire other very good NBA talent.

Daryl Morey did very good IMO by signing Trevor long term to the contract that he did. Obviously DM and all of us hope that Trevor progresses a lot as an offensive player. We all would like him to be much more decisive and take it to the basket a lot more. But all of us should be happy with his defense.

DM would trade Trevor in a heart beat if it would improve the roster.

Iggy is better than Trevor but he also has a much bigger contract that make it hard to move him or make it hard to acquire other talent.
    Is Iggy twice the player that Trevor is? I think the answer is no, not even close but Iggy is paid twice as much as Trevor.
    I think DM would love to have Iggy but he knows that once he trades for Iggy it makes any chance of signing a difference making free agent in the off season a lot more difficult. Could getting Iggy and a returning Yao put Houston over the top? If not do the Rockets have the pieces to needed to acquire a player that would put them over the top?

Personally I would make the trade for Iggy and Dalembert for TMac because I think Iggy would be the perfect 2 guard in RA's offense but I would not want to give up Ariza because he would be a great Small Forward as a 4th or 5th offensive option on this team.

6. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

I'm just going to reiterate what many people have said on this thread.

No way the 76ers gut their best players JUST to get rid of a bad contract.

If TMac had 5 years at an OMG money value, would you trade Brooks, Landry, and Budinger with TMac JUST to get rid of TMac's contract?

...NO.

7. crash5179

If my franchise was hemorrhaging cash and his contract completely prevented me from acquiring talent that could make me a contending team then the answer is hell yes I would. Especially if my team which had Brooks, Lowry, Landry and Budinger was only winning 28 percent of their games.

8. herro

herro Member

I'm under the impression that if Morey can get Iggy, Young, and only take on Dalembert's contract

Scola, Battier, or Ariza will be packing. I'm a fan of all 3, and they're all great players. The NBA is a business.

9. herro

herro Member

let's hang onto the nucleus that just got rolled by the clippers and make sure we don't find a way to move the worst contract in the NBA when we can!!1!

10. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Ok, assume you get something of this equivalent back in return for gutting your team of its best players:

Ariza+Tmac+Cook+Dorsey

You would STILL be in a hole for at least 4 years, unless you land some talent like LeBron's caliber.

And until you get that James, what big name would come to your team?

In the same time it takes for you to construct a good team, and draft "LeBron," Brand's contract will have been played out.

11. DaDakota

See this is the kind of thinking that the average fan makes, they just see the basketball side of things.

They don't look at it as a business that makes or loses money.

There are lots of teams that are facing a poor bottom line and will gut their team to get into the black.

The thing most fans overlook is the business side of things, and that is exactly what GM's and owners look at.......a good number of them.....FIRST.

DD

12. crash5179

I completely disagree.

You loose 27 million off of your pay-roll at the end of the season. You have a comparable player in Ariza as you had in Iggy (although I agree Iggy is better on offense) for a lot less money. You can stop loosing money at the gate. It could help you start over, rebuild a lot faster and if Dalembert is included in the Deal then you only have one bad contract on your team (Brand).

Your payroll going into the summer could be well below 40 million which would allow you to go after a major free agent to go along with your possible #1 pick of the draft. They can not do that right now since they are handcuffed by their huge salary.

13. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

How could a team still be in a hole for at least 4 years for trading for 1 player with 3 more years and 3 player with expiring contract? In essence you be tanking for the rest of the season for a very high draft pick and your choice of 1 or 2 all-star players.

Thats still better than holding your "assets" and losing for the next 4 years.

Heck Knicks have been tanking for 2 years just for a chance at getting a top tier player without having a high draft pick.

14. SouthMJS

SouthMJS Member

Yes they would gut their best player(s) if they can somehow also get rid of a bad contract because they have about 3 bad contracts.

They are losing money in ticket sales and losing many games. Your example with trading brooks and co. doesn't compare because the rockets have a winning record and ticket sales are not plummeting like in Philly.

If the 76ers do not make a move to preserve their best players then they will once again be over the luxury tax with a failing team. They then become the Knicks v.2 and are stuck for a few more years with losing records.

15. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Cook can start at the 4 for them. They suck anyway. :)

16. crash5179

:grin:

I would love to here that phone call:

DM: Hey we would like to include Cook into the trade.
    Philly: Hey no way Cook sucks!
    DM: No problem since you guys suck anyway... Cook should be able to start for you!
    Philly: Brilliant!
    :grin:

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

First off, what made this thought so special it needed its own thread? To top that off, it makes 0 sense for Philly whci means you gave very little thought. They give up not only iggy, but speights and young. Next time, find a thread in which this conversation already exist and give some common thought about it also.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I look at things in a business sense and just because they're not selling out the arena doesn't mean they're losing money. Those east coast teams charge so much for the lux suites that they make money as long as they dont go 20m over the lux tax. Philly will take a good deal, i highly doubt they will get rid of iggy,young and speights for ariza and tracy.

19. DaDakota

Yet, you really have no clue as to whether Philly is making money or not, do you?

LOL...seriously some teams are really hurting, and even Morey and Les said they are in a predatory situation...

Let's let them decide where to eat before we tell them which restaraunt we THINK is open.

DD

20. Vivid

Vivid Member

Yeah, they aren't selling out the their arena of 22,000 seats. In fact, their average attendance is 12,289. That's good for the bottom forth of the league. I'm sure a person that looks at things "in a business sense" must surely believe that an owner of a team struggling to fill half of his arena would try to do better. They are down 4% from what the team was worth last year and it is only looking to get worse. They have one of the worst season ticket sales so they depend on people buying tickets throughout the season, yet there team continues to disappoint. There consolation prize is that the east sucks so much they still might make the playoffs and get bounced the first round. That means another middling pick and no room for free agents. Oh and get this little fun fact. Brand and Iggy's contract goes into 2013, while Speights and Young get off the books in 2011 and 2012. Now how are they going to resign these guys, if they really are that good, when 40 million is commited into 4 players (other two being Williams and Holiday). They would still need to fill out the roster, how are they going to do that. All minimum contracts you say? Ok, lets give another 4 players a 1 million a year contract, putting the grand total at 44 million. I would like to point out, even though a business person like yourself would already know this, but Philly would have 3 #1 draft picks in that time frame, all of whom would range from lottery to mid teens. So lets give them Jrue Holiday type money (though redoubtably some would get more) of 1.5 million a year. 3 rookies and one vet minimum brings our total to 45.5 million. With the project 2010-2011 salary cap in the ballpark of 50 million (and rumored to be going down) that leaves 4.5 million to resign the awesome dynamic duo of Speights and Young. My dear business man, I do believe that could be a problem. Though if possible, would give Philly the minimum amount of players to consist of an NBA team.

Not to toot on the Rockets horn some more, but we are the exact opposite of Philly. Our player cost/win ratio is solid (even with Yao and Tmac out). We are one of the few teams to manage an increase in revenue despite having no superstars. We have increased the team's value every year for the last decade. In a word, awesome.

Seriously, Aznoob, you have the chance to rid yourself of a 5 year omg that destroys our franchise contract, and you hold on to three guys that are helping you to a bottom feeder record in the East?! Just like philly, we wouldn't even be able to resign them. WHAT THE MESS?!