1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Carpenter Wins the Cy Young

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by don grahamleone, Sep 15, 2005.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I can remember the series that David Robinson won the MVP. I remember Hakeem's reaction. Great players have a lot of pride and Hakeem went out to prove that that MVP should've been awarded to him. Without that ceremony, the results may have been very different.

Few would argue that Roger Clemens is not a great player. My wishes for Carpenter to win the Cy Young are purely for motivation. I want to see Roger play in the playoffs with something to prove, just like Hakeem. Go Stros'! Win it all! No runs allowed by Roger in the playoffs!

2. coma

coma Contributing Member

Gotta make the playoffs first.

Speaking of Roger, he's front page, espn.com

3. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

Doesn't really matter if the Astros do the usual and not score any runs.

4. don grahamleone

We all know pitching wins games and we're going to make the playoffs.

5. mikeod79

mikeod79 Member

Doesnt matter if Roger gives up 0 runs...the stros wont score for him.

I purpose letting someone else start...let the stros get 2 or 3 runs, then bring in Roger in the 2nd or 3rd inning.....then when he gives up his 1 run for the game they'll still win.

Would like to see what Rogers record would be if the offense put 1-2 runs up in each of his games.

6. don grahamleone

You were right about putting up zeros. What do you think it is about Roger that 'makes' our players not hit? Is he so focused that the guys can't get up to bat and be loose? What do you think causes this zero run production every other game?

7. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I think the players are over confident that they're gonna win when he pitches. They figure they can't lose with Clemens on the mound. This is similiar to what happened to Randy Johnson when he won the Cy Young award over Mike Hampton. However, i don't reall it being this bad. I respect Clemens for not calling out his teamates. However, maybe he should and it would fire them up. :confused:

8. don grahamleone

Clemens seems to be a guy that is very serious and tense; batters need to be a bit loose to hit well. Do you think that has any affect on the bats?

9. redgoose

The starting pitcher usually sits by himself the whole game anyways. I don't see how Clemens would be any different. Maybe they just feel like they have to win whenever he goes up on the mound. Because he sure doesn't give them a reason/chance to lose.

10. don grahamleone

Even quite demeanor can be saying something. Body posture says more than words. I'm just saying that maybe Clemens should take some responsibility for the bad hitting and do something about it. It doesn't have to be a story for the media, just him doing something different. There are a lot of people out there that say, "people should adjust to me" but those people don't go very far.

11. redgoose

I disagree, When you play baseball and go up to bat, you have to clear your mind and forget about about everything baseball related. If something's on you mind, you're an out waiting to happen. Alot of times, you'll hear when a player is slumping, that he's thinking too much. That's why Clemens should be the farthest thing from any hitter's mind when they're at the plate.

Interpersonal communication is important, but shouldn't affect the outcome of a baseball game. However, i could see it affecting a basketball game somewhat.

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The same bashers that are saying "they won't score runs for him" are the same ones who said they won't make the playoffs... surprise, surprise.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Carpenter is far and away the best pitcher in baseball this year.

14. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but it really depends on what all you take into consideration for Cy Young. Here are the stats, no clear cut choice.

Stats

15. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Carpenter has narrowed the gap between him and Clemens, but Clemens is still slightly ahead. The best measure of this is Pitching Runs. Clemens has a narrow lead in this stat (54 to 50).

See : http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats2005/pitch/nl/

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

they don't give out awards until after the world series. sorry...

17. don grahamleone

I stand corrected.

18. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Carp gave up 9 ERs to the Brew Crew on Friday in 6 innings and got the lose.

He is now number 4 in NL in ERA and Andy could go to number #2 (he is 0.01 behind Willis) after Sunday if he has a good game and bump his wins to 18 or 19 I believe. Carp is stuck on 21 wins and he has one more start [likely] next Wednesday against us.

19. ruddy

ruddy Member

I go with Andy. :D

20. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

It will be a shame if Andy is not given his due.

For me Andy should get a strong mention - as strong as the rest.

Right now (based on September outputs), here is how I will vote (as objectively as possible).....

1. Willis
    2. Andy
    3. Carp
    4. Clemens.

Clemens was the best pitcher before the all star game while Andy (and closely behind) Willis has carried the day post all star?

What exactly now make Carp the clear favorite? He has lost steam and I hope voters do not forget this.