1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Carmelo trade talks heat up that the Rockets and Lakers want in on the sweepstakes.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Sep 21, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

It reeks of a stupid wannabe journalist posting crap on twitter and naive ppl believing everything. I dont believe that people are actually taking serious this guy's tweet!

Mirotic , Taj, Portis, Snell , Mcbuckets , Sac #1 pick and Chicago #1 pick. They have better assets than the Rockets. (expiring DMO, Jones who play at same position as their young prospect, Ariza who is too old for rebuilding team, Lawson who expires and doesn't fit the triangle).

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We can keep Ariza, Brewer isn't even a positive defender. Whats your argument again?

Ariza is a 12 year vet who will be turning 31, I see no reason why the Knicks would be interested if rebuilding.

Brewer, Beverley, KJ + minimum contract work salary wise, obviously Knicks would want some more assets though(why not their giving up a perennial all star).

How people justify not wanting all stars is hilarious. It's like an ugly dude saying he wouldn't do a model because elbows too pointy.

3. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

No, **** melo. He's a chucker and cancerous to a team. He'd ruin the chemistry we have and simply take away the ball from our guys, which is a given with the addition of any player, but he'd do it by leaps and bound. I'll take harden and Howard and I'll wait for KD

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Is it even possible to match the salaries without trading Dwight or James?

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

BTW as I said, we don't lack offense BUT you guys who don't want him are crazy. Just look how good he plays for Team USA when he has other stars creating offense for him. He's amazing in that role for Team USA as a stretch 4/spot up shooter. But then he can post up as well. If Rashard Lewis can look as good as a SF playing stretch 4 next to Dwight, Melo will look like a god. This works incredibly well if we were able to keep/get a defensive stud at SF. Ariza would obviously have to be outgoing in any deal but you hope KJ McDaniels though short could turn into that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omYzzzaPv18

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

anyone looks good playing on Team USA. that means very little. I remember people actually started calling Faried a star just because of his play with USA. Wrongggggg

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Carmelo Anthony isn't just anyone. He's a star on his own. Now imagine Harden and Lawson creating for him or Dwight drawing a double to leave him open.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

at this point, nothing is really impressive with carmelo especially the last 2 seasons. Star on his own? well not much of a star on his own in NY is he.

9. malakas

malakas Member

team usa doesn't play against the Spurs and the Warriors. It plays against Puerto Rico and Serbia.
    This is his first very serious injury and surgery and he's 30. Before trading for him lets see how he looks.

BTW a line up of Lawson, Harden, some role player, Melo and Dwight would be awful. Awful defence, too many players with high usage too old frontcourt with knee problems. Dwight would have to give up almost completely the idea of posting up (so we are talking about fantasy alr). And Lawson would have to be relegated more to a spot up shooter. Beverly may be better fit than him actually since he can defend.

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

Lawson, Ariza and Jones for Carmelo is almost an exact salary match?

That doesn't take into account the other minimum contracts we would be forced to sign to reach the minimum number of roster spots.

I'm not a cap expert at all so I might be off on this. But if we traded Lawson, Ariza and Jones, that would leave us around 10 players? Plus Carmelo would be 11? That means we would need to sign two other vet minimum guys to get to the minimum number of 13. If each one of those guys was ~1 million or so (depending on how long they have been in the league) that would push us way past the apron, thus making it not possible?

Since we are hard-capped, it makes it very difficult to trade multiple players for one player. Like I said, I'm not a cap expert, but that is the way I understood BimaThug when he said:

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If we did this now, it would have to be something like:

Ty Lawson, Ariza, Jones

for

Anthony, Early, Jerian Grant

You trade two question marks for three question marks, but one of them is a legit superstar.

You seriously upgrade the offense at the 4 while seriously downgrading the defense at the 4. The point guard position is probably back to last year's issue: Harden bringing the ball up like a point guard. Corey Brewer becomes your starting SF or DMo starts at 4 when healthy.

It's a flexible opportunity, but it still doesn't sound right. I like the idea of Lawson and I love the way Ariza plays already.

12. hmittal

hmittal Member

Not enough balls on the court, to have Harden, Melo, and Howard on 1 team. It will be bad for team chemistry, plus the fact he's a horrible defender. We just need to add some more bench play and we'll be fine. Morey don't get it done! ;)

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

ty lawson is very good player but I wouldn't call him a superstar:cool:

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

I was against Melo for the Rockets when we tried to sign him in free agency.

I'm even more against it now that we have Lawson too.

15. basketballholic

In your proposed trade you'd likely have to throw in DMo and perhaps even one other player.

Actually after 1/16(when all our guys are trade eligible), a trade for CA would be pretty easy to achieve based on salary and the hard cap. They'll likely have at least 2 players on minimum contracts, including one player at a $525,093 minimum. The questions would be: 1) Does Anthony want to come here? and 2) Will the Knicks do the trade for what we offer?

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I believe don g is referring to Melo as the superstar, not Ty

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

I know. just a way of saying Melo is no superstar and he isn't

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

A Melo trade makes sense if it is for scraps.

When you start talking about key rotation pieces like Lawson and Ariza, it doesn't make the team better.

19. photojoe

photojoe Member

I sure hope you didn't think that was my proposed trade. What a terrible deal that would be...

Ok. I'm not sure if trading for Carmelo would be "pretty easy to achieve" salary wise or not. To me, that shouldn't even matter because it would be a bad idea even if it was possible.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Come on dude.

Anthony's career average is 25 points, 7 boards and 3 assists.

He's a 8 time all star who's and has held the scoring title. He's led his teams to the playoffs 10 times in his career, and made it to the WCF's in 09 with the nuggets.