1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Carmelo trade talks heat up that the Rockets and Lakers want in on the sweepstakes.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Last i checked were okay at offense.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Melo would be your almost ideal stretch 4 on this team.

38% three point shooter over the past five seasons.

Excellent post player.

Good rebounder, low turnovers.

And one additional go-to isolation guy if the plays break down.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm assuming the 'almost' part is due to his lackluster defense and tendency to ball stop?

If Melo were available ala Josh Smith last year I'd be all over it. I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice our depth to bring him in though.

4. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Only an idiot would say no to a Melo trade.

5. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Hi, thanks

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well yes, "almost" is due to Melo not being a perfect player who fits all of our needs. A deadeye 3 point shooting Anthony Davis is not available. Only adding perfect players would have halted just about every trade we have made.

Melo would be a liability against bigger power fours, but would be adequate against other stretch bigs. Ball stopping really has nothing to do with it. That is such an over played and misunderstood term.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

dang NY must not be idiots then..oh wait they said yes and look at them now

8. OpenLayup-Why3?

F*** Melo. He didn't want to come here as a free agent, he got his big money contract on that crap team so now he can spend his days on a lottery team for the rest of his career. That's what he wanted, let him have what he wanted.

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

Talent trumps fit? I wonder if the 2004 Lakers agree... you know, the ones that had the starting lineup of Gay Payton, Kobe Bryant, Rick Fox, Karl Malone and Shaquille O'Neal. With Derek Fisher, Byron Russell, Horace Grant and Kareem Rush coming off the bench.

What about the Lakers that had Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Ron Artest, Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard?

Either one of those starting lineups have more talent on it than that one listed for us has. Neither one of them won a championship.

I'm sure someone will respond and say "yeah, but Payton, Malone and Nash were older when they got to the Lakers and past their prime!" True. But are we sure that we can't say the same thing about Carmelo? Positive? Last season was plagued by injuries and we haven't seen him make a team good in awhile now.

All of that said, I don't even think the proposed trade and lineup would work. It leaves us with only 10 players on. We would need to sign at least 3 more to minimum contracts, which I'm pretty sure would push us past the apron.

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

I say no. Not just no, but hell no.

I must really be an idiot.

11. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Lakers are going to try their best to land melo i believe. surprised Chicago is not in this as well.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Adding Carmelo Anthony's three-point shooting would be sweeeeeeeeeet. And it would work within a timeline. He has 4 years left on his contract, probably about what Morey would risk giving Duh-wight next summer at the opt-out.

Still, there are the questions of Melo's health that only the rigors of playing would answer. And he and LaLa seem in it for the glitz and the big markets.

Don't know what Chicago would put together for Carmelo that would get the Knicks excited, not without yielding Jimmy Butler (and then what would be the point?)

Parenthetically, I'd love Jimmy Butler on the Rockets. But that's a-whole-nother circle jerk.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Since we are hard capped, it's almost impossible for us to pull off a trade for Melo. Too many players would need to be involved.

14. Raven

Raven Member

I'm sure his wife would love it, but he won't be happy watching Kobe jack up ill advised shots.

15. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

16. linkz1993

linkz1993 Member

Jones/Ariza for him ? lol

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

I hope Lakers get him so they can't truly rebuild for a decade or so

1 person likes this.
  18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

hell no
    who's going to be our defensive stopper?
    Ariza and Brewer need to be included to match salary

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not impossible at all. The only reason we would trade for Melo at this point is if the Lawson experiment wasn't working. His contract could easily make a Melo trade work.

Lawson, Ariza, and Jones would almost be an exact salary match.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

No, thank you.