1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Bagwell is healthy, who sits - Taveras or Lane?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Cat, Jan 6, 2006.

?

Who goes to the bench?

1. Willy Taveras

24 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Jason Lane

54 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

First of all, I'm incredibly pleased to see the Astros make a move in my week away... my apologies to Tim Purpura for throwing in the towel on the offseason. Preston Wilson isn't all that special. But he's one of those mid-level players this team really needed. It's not Adam Dunn, but it's a huge upgrade from potentially platooning Luke Scott/Chris Burke in a power position.

Anyway, I've seen this touched on in the Wilson thread, but I think this also deserves its own discussion. It's obvious from the press conference that Wilson will be an everyday player, as he should be. But, if we get lucky (I know, it's unlikely) and Bagwell returns and can play a full season at 2004-like numbers, who takes a seat on the bench as the fourth OF? Clearly, in the above scenario, Ausmus, Bagwell, Biggio, Everett, Ensberg, Berkman and Wilson are guaranteed spots in the lineup... leaving one spot for two regulars: Taveras and Lane.

If you start Taveras, clearly you have terrific speed and defense. And having a combo of Taveras and Wilson in the outfield gives you some incredible range and arms. But you're sacrificing a potential 30-35 HR bat in the outfield to get that... is it worth it? If you start Lane, you're adding two power bats to last season's lineup (Bagwell and Wilson) and keeping all the power (Lane) that you already had. Furthermore, it's not like the previously discussed scenarios where moving Taveras to the bench would compromise the defense... Wilson's an excellent defender in center, possibly better than Taveras. Also, what would you guys like more off the bench - the speed (pinch-running and defense of Taveras, or the pop of Jason Lane?

I'm not sure what to think, so give me some thoughts. On a team with a struggling offense, I'd normally think it would be insane to remove a .800+ OPS player like Lane. But, Taveras has enough intangibles in terms of his speed, stolen bases and defense that it's clearly a consideration.

What direction do you guys lean, in the lucky (and probably unlikely) scenario that we have Bagwell healthy and producing 2004-type numbers?

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

preston wilson's knees are shot. Playing him at center would really weaken your defense. He's much more suited for left field which is small enough for him to defend at a reasonable level.

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I think the idea would be for Wilson to play all 3 if Bags is healthy.

To answer Cats question, I think Phil just goes with the hot bat. I think Bags, if he plays, will need at least a couple days off per week. I could see Willie sitting more than Lane on the road...and playing more at home.

4. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Willy T is great at getting on base with the infield hits. His speed is amazing.

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Who cares. Just stick Vince Young in center.

He will change the game and be THE greatest center fielder in history, and lead us to multiple World Series championships.

6. aburttschell

aburttschell Contributing Member

I'd compare him to Mickey and Aaron.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I would sit Taveras if Wilson really demonstrated that his knees could take the constant running in CF. If he can manage that, great. If not, I think it's going to have to be Jason Lane, as much as I hate to say it. Although Lane will still get a decent # of starts since Bagwell, even if he can manage, will still sit a lot to help keep his arm fresh.

8. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

how about bagwell sits.....

permanently...

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I liked that one...

10. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

That's by far the best option. I love what Bags has done for this franchise, but he's more done than a 3 minute egg on it's 10th minute.

And for what his salary does to the likelihood of the Astros signing/trading for a bona fide star...ouch!

11. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

If Bagwell is healthy, then pigs will fly.

12. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

If Andrews says no to Bagwell and he decides to retire, send the contract with others to Baltimore for Tejada.

13. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Can the poll be reposted with Bagwell as an option ? :D

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Haha. If it were my choice, I'd start both and bench Bagwell as well. But given his name, his history and his impact on the Astros franchise, we know (regardless of if it's fair) that he'll be in the starting lineup if it's at all possible. I'm just trying to keep the poll realistic, in the event we're forced to decide between Taveras or Lane for that last OF spot.

15. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Amen, can I get a witness somebody...

16. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Hi, I'm Jeff Bagwell. You may remember me from such career highlights as "best first baseman in the history of the National League" and "eventual Hall-of-Famer." I'd like to try and play for the Astros this year if I'm healt...

Oh, what's that? You have Willy Taveras and Jason freakin' Lane who could play instead of me?

Ah, okay. You're right, they're probably better. I'm sorry. Forget about it.

ARRRRRRRGH. ZAC SMASH.

Let's see what Jeff can and cannot do before we bury him.

17. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

there's no way i would sit taveras. that guy covers ground in CF as well as anyone in the majors, has a great arm, and is the only one who is a real speed threat on the bases. i'd say package lane and everett in a deal for a SS with some offensive threat. i mean, adam everett is pretty much ryan bowen in an astros jersey -- good enough to trust him on defense but a total offensive liability.

18. msn

msn Member

No freaking kidding.

If he shows he's 1973 Willie Mays all over again (ouch) than sit him down. But if not, run him out there. A Bagwell hitting .275 and bagging 25 dingers and 85-90 RBIs is more valuable than Willy T. getting 40 infield hits and an occasional double.

o&btw, completely agree with this part, which bears repeating:
    We'll see on the HoF part, but IMO he's already earned it.

19. msn

msn Member

Huh?

Let's see:

Covers ground in CF as well as anyone in the majors
    --Well, he's fast, but he doesn't pick the ball up well off the bat and he still doesn't select efficient routes to balls on the fly. For an absolute freaking CLINIC on covering ground, see Jones, Andruw. Also reference Edmunds, Jim.

has a great arm
    --While it's not a limp noodle like Biggio's, you'll see people testing his arm this year just like last year. For the truly great arms, check Hidalgo and Abreu.

only real speed threat on the bases
    --This is the only part on which I agree with you, except that Everett and Burke represent a little bit of a threat as well. But not like Willy. In his sophomore year, however, expect those IF hits to be harder to come by as IF come in on the grass. Dude better learn to make solid contact much more often or he's nothing more than Gerald Young redux.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

a guy and I were just discussing this at the bar. We were talking about WIlson etc. and what now? Lame por taveras?

GO STROS!!!!