1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IE6 or Netscape 6.2. Which are you using?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by j-bone, Mar 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. j-bone

j-bone Member

Which one do you prefer and why? Right now I'm using IE6 but have been thinking about using Netscape 6.2 because I've been hearing about how cool it is compared to 6.1 and how faster it is than IE6. What do you guys think?

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

IE 5.1 for Mac :D

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I use IE6 at work and home. Really good browser. I used to use Netscape back in the days but it just gotten slower through the years. When Netscape 6.0 came out, it looked too much like AOL, which I wanted to avoid. If you want to try something new, you should give Opera a chance. Its pretty cool with their browser windows inside the program instead of the Windows desktop and the mouse movement shortcuts (ex. hold the right mouse button and move the the mouse to the left, it goes to the previous page, etc...)

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

5.5, 6 is crap for gaming and flash.

DaDakota

5. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

I'm so lame -- I'm still using Netscape 4.7 on my iBook. :eek:

6. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I just installed Netscape 6.2, and whenever I start it my ZoneAlarm asks me if I want to allow Netscape to act as a server. Does anybody know what's up with that?

7. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

IE 6.0

Netscape is really slow.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Internet Explorer. I used to be a hardcore Netscape fan. But things like http://my.lycos.co.uk don't work in Netscape because it has too many bugs and does not adhere to some standards.

9. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I use IE 6 on my home PC...and when I'm using a computer on campus, I use whatever version of IE is installed on their computers. I do not like Netscape (any version) at all....Internet Explorer destroys Netscape IMO. I haven't tried Netscape 6.2 though.

10. Heath

Heath Member

I was using Netscape earlier, but after I formated my drive I never went back. I have never been a big explorer/microsoft fan, but I never got to install netscape again.

But a few days a go I downloaded and installed Opera 6.01, and I really love it. You should all give it a try.

http://www.opera.com

http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2002/02/20020212.html

Opera 6.01 released:

Microsoft Losing Ground to Growing European Opera Trend

Oslo, Norway -- February 12, 2002
    Opera Software ASA today released Opera 6.01 for Windows along with the new Opera Composer, amid news that Opera is quickly gaining ground in Europe. In addition to enhancements in the browser, Opera 6.01 for Windows introduces a Lycos start-up page especially made for Opera users.

According to StatMarket, usage of Opera is soaring in several European countries. Germany, the Scandinavian countries and Russia are leading the pack, the latter with a whopping 5.8 percent market share for Opera.

"The StatMarket numbers were made public just five days after the release of Opera 6, and this positive trend has accelerated considerably during the last month," says Dean Kakridas, VP Desktop Products. "We are seeing the beginning of a great continental divide emerging between European and American Internet users. In Europe, Opera is the fashionable trend among Web connoisseurs, while the US seem to be a bit slower in catching on."

Opera 6 for Windows is the first Windows version that also displays non-Roman characters, opening up the markets in Asia and Eastern Europe to browser competition.

"Concurrent with the European wave, Asia has greeted Opera with great enthusiasm," continues Dean Kakridas, VP Desktop Products. "Particularly, the Japanese have been eager to try Opera, and we expect this trend to accelerate exponentially in the rest of Asia when we release more local language versions for these markets in the coming weeks."

"In a way Opera has now come full circle," says Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO. "After having grabbed the dominant position in the embedded browser market, we are now also gaining ground where we started to fight Microsoft: on every user's PC. For the first time since the beginnning of the Browser War, Microsoft is losing ground. Microsoft has seen this coming for a while, as evidenced by its recent lockout of other browsers to its Web properties, but I can assure everyone in Redmond that they've seen nothing yet."

For more information on the bugfixes in Opera 6.01 for Windows, please view the changelog located at www.opera.com/windows/changelog/log601.html.

Opera 6.01 for Windows is available immediately at www.opera.com.

The new Opera Composer lets users customize their own Web browser to distribute to family, friends, colleagues and customers. Users can set multiple or single document interface (MDI/SDI), customize the splash screen, skins, Personal Bar and Hotlist as well as extra buttons for own service, and choose language.

Everyone can customize their own browser today at composer.opera.com.

11. Heath

Heath Member

Oh, didnt see you mentioning Opera first - I also love the mouse actions - and of course the fastness :D

12. TraJ

TraJ Member

Also, www.mozilla.org. Yes, it's basically Netscape, but further along. For example, you can now have multiple tabs within one browser with Mozilla, much like Opera. I expect that's a little ways off with Netscape (next release, I'm sure).