1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I45 north to beltway 8 to be double or triple decker freeway with toll lanes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Nov 14, 2013.

1. da1

da1 Member

TxDOT considering options for widening I-45

Planners say entire parts of freeway could be relocated

By Dug Begley
    November 14, 2013

Moving more traffic along Interstate 45 in downtown Houston could mean moving the entire freeway, or at least many of its lanes, regional transportation planners say.

Confronting how to carry cars and trucks through the city's central business district is one of a handful of issues officials are tackling with a massive corridor plan for I-45, from the north Sam Houston Tollway to U.S. 59 near St. Joseph Parkway. Along the way, officials are hoping to fit two carpool-toll lanes in each direction and improve freeway interchanges and on-and-off ramps.

Planners will hold public comment meetings on the proposals Thursday night and Tuesday night.

Because of the complexities of adding the lanes in various areas along the more than 15-mile route, officials have broken the project into three segments, each with its own challenges.

From the Sam Houston Tollway to Loop 610, officials are considering widening the freeway to four lanes and two managed lanes in each direction or elevating the managed lanes.

Between Loop 610 and Interstate 10, options include widening the freeway and covering it to put the frontage roads on top; elevating the managed lanes in a single four-lane structure over the general use lanes; or double-decking the managed lanes to, essentially, create a sunken, three-tier freeway.

The downtown loop segment, probably the most complex of the three areas because of limited space, has three viable options: widening the Pierce Elevated portion of I-45 and narrowing Pierce Street; moving I-45 to where U.S. 59 is and running the freeways parallel along the eastern side of downtown while tearing out the Pierce and turning the route into a parkway to get to I-10; or leaving I-45 southbound lanes on the Pierce Elevated and shifting the northbound lanes to follow U.S. 59.

All of the options represent major changes to what TxDOT traffic counts rank as one of the state's most congested freeways.

"The thing that is somewhat astonishing is the amount of traffic going through that is not destined to downtown or around downtown," said Bob Eury, executive director of the Houston Downtown Management District. "It gets snarled up by people getting off and on."

Don't hold your breath

Do not expect the changes or a wider freeway anytime soon, however.
    "If funding were made available today, this project would cost $1.13 billion and would be ready to begin construction in 2025," state transportation officials said in a recent report.

Moving or restructuring the freeway will be a major change for drivers and potentially reshape downtown Houston road connections. Along with a planned extension of the Hardy Toll Road to downtown, shifting I-45 is a major piece of overall traffic improvements, one that potentially could have the freeway surrounding the central business district.

The Thursday meeting begins the third round of public comment. Two previous sessions in 2010 and 2012 generated huge discussion and dissension. The latest plans were released online earlier this week.

"I had a lot of hope after the second meeting that they were going to consider the public's choices," said Jim Weston, a Woodland Heights resident active with the I-45Coalition, which sparred previously with TxDOT on some of the widening proposals. "After looking at the three (alternatives) they have picked, I have lost a little faith in that."

Tunneling is a no-go

The plans for the downtown and center segments are expected to draw the most interest and criticism.

None of the options for the stretch between Loop 610 and I-10 include acquiring significant right of way, something nearby residents have vehemently opposed since talk of widening the freeway began in 2004.

Weston said the options also do not include what most residents said was their preferred choice: Tunneling so the freeway would be separated from the neighborhood and the downtown area. Though expensive, Weston said tunnel construction would not affect the existing freeway as much as other proposals, and the added cost would be worth it.

Many of the 400-plus comments TxDOT received favored the tunnel plan.
    TxDOT spokesman Danny Perez said the tunnel was taken off the list of reasonable alternatives because of engineering challenges.

"There would be no available space for roadway shoulders within a tunnel," Perez said. "This creates a safety hazard in the event of an accident and greatly reduces access for emergency vehicles."

Vehicles also would face slower speeds in a tunnel, Perez said, defeating part of the purpose of the widening and its ability to handle the growing traffic demand planners predict.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...idering-options-for-widening-I-45-4981875.php

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

At least we won't be able to see the eye-pollution Billboards littering I-45 when traveling on the third deck. Sounds peaceful up there.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Double decker freeways are awesome.

Sincerely,
    Austin

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I would love to be one of the contractors who ends up getting this sweet money making machine! I can just see the money flowing in every direction "Ah, how sweet it is". Regardless something has to be done in that freeway, PRONTO! The only time it's running smoothly is from 9-11a.m. and 10pm-4a.m., any other time you better take kava before hand!

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

JFC, this will be a mess of worse congestion for the next 2 decades if they do this. It's not like they ever complete a job on time or even close to it.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I travel from my estate on 290 to one of my hooches in south houston a lot.

And I always always get hung up in that small bottle neck on 45. I just stare at the Ferris wheel and wonder what I could do with the millions from the lotto billboard.

There is no way to widen that stretch of 45.

And who was the dumbass that decided to build the Mickey Leeland building next to the freeway like that.

Some terrorist could send an rpg from the freeway.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They did with the Katy.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't take the Pierce. Take I-10 East to US59 and hook back up on I-45 on the other side of downtown. 59 also can get congested, but it's not quite as bad. And, I think they'd have better luck widening 59 -- it's constrained on the west side by the GRB, but you can probably knock down some buildings on the eastern side.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

actually finished ahead of time.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I hope they never build another freeway again except to repair the old ones.

Otherwise people would just be rewarded over and over for living further away from the city, driving gas guzzlers and claiming that freedom is an absolute right.

How about Houstonians live like citizens of every other city in the world and start building up instead of out? The younger generation gets this, which is why property values in the Heights and East Downtown are rising so fast.

11. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Agreed. Traffic will be a castastro***** while construction is on-going, and once its done, we'll all be like, "Wow, traffic is much better now -- I'm glad my tax dollars paid for that" when it really won't be any better than it is now.

If they want to stick with the freeway model, the only way to improve traffic will be to have central control of the speed of traffic. You can "improve" the system all you like, but it doesn't do any good if you have one bad driver making bad decisions that cause traffic to grind to a half several miles behind him. The only way they can fix the current system is mitigate the problems that the individual driver can cause.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

AND BETTER than ever. :eek:

13. MexAmercnMoose

14. Poloshirtbandit

Shhhhh don't share my secret route

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Two different types of routes, straight freeway vs. middle of the city with a maze of freeway going to different parts of the metro. Messing with the dominate downtown go through like the Peirce Elevated, I have no idea how they would even widen it or do anything to it without causing even more gridlock for YEARS. Even on weekends that stretch of road is a 30 minute cluster of traffic just to get to 45 South.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Suburbs are for the poor, yo.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup. The section from old Katy to hwy 6 was crazy ahead of schedule, IIRC.

18. da1

da1 Member

Agreed it seems like TXDOT is living in a previous time period mentally. Why not even consider building a train line down a freeway every time an expansion is proposed?

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Maybe, but none of these caveats were included in your original post which simply said they never finish these jobs on time. :)

20. Granville

Granville Member

I always exit 45S to I10E then exit 59S and re-enter 45S. it shaves a few minutes off the time.