1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Would Rather My Ancestors Not Have Been Slaves Than Being Born An American

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

You went off on everything he said except the single most important thing which was his first and most articulated ,the intact family. Hell, even Obama said this was the most important thing for black culture to succeed. The other stuff he said, yeah, not as important in my eyes. But intact families ain’t a “Republican talking point for votes”.

deb4rockets, pgabriel and KingCheetah like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you misunderstand my point. My argument is that I don't think anyone in their right mind would be willing to accept slavery if that meant that their ancestors four generations from now might be better off.

I'm saying slavery isn't justified even if possibly means the ancestors of slaves might be materially better off.

deb4rockets, T_Man and KingCheetah like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You're completely missing his point.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The black family was fine before welfare. Conservatives are right about that. I wouldn't argue against welfare but as much as slavery ripped families apart black people had stronger family units immediately post slavery through the mid twentieth century than current poor blacks.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Intact family is a problem that is not going to be solved in today’s society. All races have more single moms because of divorce, woman choosing to have kids without partners, young people not getting married, etc...
    The excuse of not having a 2 parent home doesn’t fly anymore. Just because you have 2 parents doesn’t mean ****. I’ve seen privilege white kids throw away their opportunities because they choose to party, do drugs, and get busted for DUIs because their parents get bailing them out of trouble until it gets serious.

Opportunity has nothing to do with “intact” families.
    Ideal? Sure....

BTW...Someone mention whites being terrified of becoming the minority. That is the basis of Trump being elected. After Obama was elected, the backlash was the fear of being treated like whites have treated Black and Hispanics in this country. They know the history.

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I agree with that and I did understand your comment about the aliens...

What I was saying is that you can not compare your scenario with slavery... Your scenario is dealing with volunteering.. Slavery was dealing with non-volunteering.... So i am trying to say that it's very hard to compare the two....

In your scenario.. I will use Wakanda... If I knew that my my 4th generation would have all the luxuries and benefits of nation of Wakanda, would I volunteer to be a slave? Great question...
    What is my current state of living right now?
    Would it benefit my family in the long run?

I know guys who have committed crimes to go to jail so they can have 3 meals a day....

So depending on the answers... Who knows... Right now I will say no..

T_Man

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No they weren't.

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lebron does a lot of work sending kids to school, so do a lot of other athletes. So not sure how athletics denigrate and discourage academic success, that one confuses me.

As for rap it's very neutral. There's some rap with good messages and some rap with bad messages.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Fine meaning men remained in households

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The Kenneth Chenaults, Richard Parsons, Roger Fergusons or Charles Ogletrees of this country don't show up on people like Gutter Snipe's radar. He already despises people like us reproducing and only sees us as avatars for athleticism and behavioral escapism.

Nook likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree that intact families is a huge issue but why do think there is an issue with intact families?

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Same reason why Obama said there was, children without fathers are 9 times as likely to be incarcerated then those with fathers. He mentioned a much higher rate of drop outs and also higher poverty rate as well I believe. As Pgabs says black families are the highest rate of fatherless house holds (he mentioned 80+ percent but I thought it was closer to 70...I may be wrong thou)...it's not just a black thing thou, white families (caucasian and hispanic have also increased after the 50-60s, but blacks are much higher than the others which may account for the results we're seeing) have seen jumps after welfare and factors that encourage/make easier fatherless households for various reasons. Why do you think the intact families are a huge issue?

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with everything but I actually did not frame the initial question correctly.

What do you think are the causes of non intact families?

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ironically, you could stop struggling with it in an instant. Your choice. Continue struggling or let go and be free.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I did stop struggling with it. Did you see this thread?

16. JumpMan

Well, if you think wishing you were born in another country is you being content with being an American, then you have stopped struggling.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I never sId I wish I were born somewhere else. Don't do this. I'm saying very clearly i don't have to be here.

It's not worth it. If slavery didn't happen something else could have happened. All I could say about that is history would be different. But happiness doesn't okay slavery.

Furthermore its great being an American but i don't need to be an American to be happy.

#77 pgabriel, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@JumpMan

Blacks are not happy being American. Regardless of whether or not we are justified no other group b****es morre. We try to link ourselves to Hispanics. They don't have Hispanic Lives Matter.

So Im Iin the comfortable few who says blacks can go a long way fixing their own dysfunctional ghetto bullshit.

The complaining mofos wouldn't give up being American. They struggle.

They struggle with honesty about dysfunctional ghetto bullshit and beg for dumb **** like being in Marvel movies

#78 pgabriel, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Black people celebrating Black Panther like Juneteenth demonstrates our unhappiness.

As if we had never starred in movies
    As if 5 black actors starring in a Marvel Comic movie is gonna change dysfunctional ghetto bullshit

All it says is we will never be happy and we will always be jealous of Massa

20. JumpMan

Blacks don't have a culture and thus don't have a true identity. That's what makes them different from Hispanics who still have remnants of culture. The only thing close to black culture anyone is taught is a history of slavery. But that ain't culture and that's why people need to let it go.

You're right. I would add that the struggle is also having no history to point to besides slavery and no culture to get support and order from. It's difficult to love yourself and each other when you have no culture and you identify with your color and the only history you know. Everyone is too into their color. None of that matters.