1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Wonder If Its All A Dream?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Almu, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

First of all, I want to truly, truly thank SpaceCity, Lynus 302, Rocketman 95, Rockets Millenium, Jeff, Dreamer and the over 120 people that at least viewed and thought, prayed and wondered about my health and well being. I truly touched when I logged on and saw that people I never met and could be 1000 miles away thought about me. My girlfriend (who is here) thanks you and I am sure my 7 month baby girl thanks you. I am blessed to be alive if you continue to read.

Jeff is correct. I work on 42 and Madison Avenue. But 3 months ago, I got went to 19th Street and Park Avenue South to our Latino agency because they are in the process of a merger. Meaning, that I was about 1 mile from the area of the disaster and about 2 miles from the twin towers which are in clear view when I come to work every morning.

Around 8:30am, I get into the office. This is about 20 minutes or so BEFORE the first airplane crashes. I am doing the normal coffee routine when I noticed that the coffee maker is empty and that there are no bags of coffee available.

Its now about 8:40 when I step out of the building. I cross the street that clearly shows the trade center but I didn't look. I get to the deli, buy the coffee, pay for it and leave. All that took about 5 minutes and as I leave, I pass the Chase Bank when all of a sudden, I hear something like thunder in the distance. First thing I think about is that the stupid weather people never get the weather right.

Its now about 8:55 and when I walk in the door, the monitor is showing the Trade Center on fire. I was like "DAMN". I think about my friends who are there or on their way and I go outside and call my girl who is in Rockefeller Center which is located on 51st street. I am walking towards the Trade Center, following the smoke and trying to see whats going on. On the way there, I pass two of my bosses who are walking towards me but at the same time looking back. Its about five past nine in the morning when I finally take a look from 12th street and I clearly see the tower on fire. I am amazed and wonder if this is truly bad when my girl tells me that a plane did crash into the tower. I know this is not what I was suppose to be thinking but I say to myself "Damn, how can a pilot be so stupid that he don't see 110 stories of high-rise steel?" My bosses and I talk about how weird and surreal is the scene and then, something I won't forget for the rest of my life.

All I did was turn around to get a better signal on the cell phone which is fading because of all the high rises in the area and I just hear a piercing sound in the air and just happen to turn around quick enough to see a "shadow" disappear behind the building and then BOOOM! I freaked out because at that specific moment, I truly thought of all those times we practiced war drills while I was in elementary school in Houston. I truly thought we got hit by something. My bosses and I turned and ran back towards deli and then sprinted back to the office down the block.

When I get back to my office, I turn on the TV and see that CNN is stating what is now apparent. The Trade Center was under attack. I just remember saying to myself "What? Who? How?".

Then, on Good Morning America, they show what I didn't see. The second plane CLEARLY crashing into one of the buildings. I just thought about Chris, Damien, Patrick...God, I am breaking down thinking about all this again. They work there for the Port Authority. We went to highschool and two of them attended college with me. Damien was in the Air Force for 4 years and he went to the Port Authority to try and be in the FBI eventually. As of me typing this post, my friends are unaccounted. God be with them.

While we watch the news, all phone communications die. At around this time, we open the windows to get fresh air rolling in because the AC is down also then the lights soon afterwards. About 10 minutes, we all hear the distant sirens and then the distance thunder which I later learned had to be the second building crumbling. My boss calls the Vice Prez of the company upstairs using his cellphone and just under 10 seconds, its off. No cell calls either. We go upstairs using the stairs and on the way up, the lights return. We get to her office and start watching CNN and are just in sheer horror at what we are witnessing. Its now about 11am and rumors start to fly that there are planes unaccounted for and as soon as I hear that, I ask to be excused. I thought of my girlfriend who is in another major, major financial, shopping and corporate district; she works for AOL-Time Warner in Rockefeller Center.

I immediately grab my crap and head out. I get outside and guys, its like you are in a dream. People are crying, the sky is dark and all I see is traffic, upon traffic, upon traffic. If anyone has seen the movie MIRACLE MILE, rent it if you want to feel what its like if something catastrophic happens. God, thinking about the images brings tears to my eyes. Despite all that, it was rather calm and surreal. I tell you, I can't believe that so many people crying, so many people confused and yet, people calmly walking and gathering around the Wiz to look at the television sets.

No cabs are available and the subway is suspended along with buses. So I just walk 40 blocks to my girlfriends company and go to her office. I hugged her like never before and ask her if she can leave. Mr. Levine (who is the head of Time Warner) already spoke to her and other key people and asked them to stay only if they can. If they want to leave, then go ahead but to stay if at all possible. Guess what I decided?

It took me 1 hour to walk to her job and during that time, I just thought about how all this could of happened. I saw a long, long, long line of people at all the public phones. Many of them were cursing because they could not get through.

After my girlfriend and I walked outside, it was just a herd of people walking away towards uptown Manhattan which is away from the destruction. There are no cabs available and we just decide to walk to the Bronx which is 130 blocks from where she works. Thats about 13 miles. We start to walk and I continue to hear through my walkman about the destruction and how nobody knows anything. I get angrier and angrier.

When we get to Harlem, we were able to get a cab along with what seemed to be 20 other people who were all heading towards the Bronx. We finally arrived home at about 3pm and I immediately hug my daughter to the point where she starts to cry. A little too tight, I guess. I can't make any calls but I get online and my brother is on AIM messenger service and I ask him if everything is fine at my moms house and he says yes. Also, he is a Marine so I immediately ask him if he is on alert. He says they are always on alert and if they need him, they will call. I told him that on a day like today, they don't have to even finish asking me the question before I say "Where do I sign up."

Afterwards, I went to the local hospital and stood in line for 4 hours to give blood and I got home about an hour ago.

I will never forget this day. We are not going to work tomorrow but as tears run down my face, I can tell you that it will be like losing two brothers when I get to work in the upcoming days and look up into the sky and see that the two great, great symbols of this country won't be there for me to view before going to work. I don't know what I am going to do. I don't know how I am going to react on that first day. Its truly a sad day for this country, for Americans, and for New York and Washington.

I am not usually the violent type anymore, Thank God. But if Bush does not rip whoever did this a new a-hole, I will truly lose respect for my country. Many people are saying that this is worse than Pearl Harbor and I agree. I am still in shock. I can't sleep. They can call me right now. I am ready to fight.

These guys who are out there trying to find people still alive and buried, they have all my prayers and hopes. The familys of the people that perished deserver our prayers and sympathy and also revenge for this cowardly act. I have total admiration and new found respect for those people in downtown tonight digging through all the mess and chaos to find people trapped.

Again, thanks to all of you who had thoughts for me and wondered about my safety. You don't understand how much that means to me and how much it means to my family when I told them about it just now. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Alex

PS, at the time of this post, no word yet on my friends. God be with them. I will pray for them heavily. :(

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

So good to hear you are alright, as well as all our NY posters that have check in. I hope you hear from your friends soon.

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Thanks for the update Almu. Wonderful Post. Glad to see you're okay. I will pray for your friends.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Almu, must have been a traumatic day for you today. You were one of the lucky ones. In Texas we're all praying for the victims and for the rest to be rescued. This day will forever live in infamy, and you have witnessed what may have been our nation's darkest moment since D-Day 1941.

5. haven

haven Member

very good to hear from you.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'm glad you are okay Almu. I pray that your friends are too.

7. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I really wish this was a dream. I feel numb.

Excellent Post and I am glad that you are ok. Pray for all the trapped people.

8. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Almoooooo,

I really was beginning to worry, when there was no reply from you in the "Almu?" thread. I am very glad to hear that you and yours are physically okay. You are a pillar of the cc.net family. Losing you would've been just like NY losing the Towers.

Please, keep us informed about your friends.

9. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Thanks Dreamer for your kind words and also the rest of you.

I am exhausted but I was online with my sis who sent me some pictures she took from her apartment that is in Liberty Park in Jersey City, NJ. That beautiful view she had when she went there won't be there anymore. :(

I have 3 more but I am on 56k right now because the cable internet has been down for a while for some reason.

I also have one video where my sisters husband is clearly saying "Oh my God" in the video. If its possible, I will put that up on the site also. If not, the three other pics I will upload and link for you guys to see tomorrow. I am dead tired now.

Thanks again.

[​IMG]

10. ScreamingRocketJet

This will sound silly...but you were one of my first thoughts also...

Glad you are okay brother...:)

11. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Good to hear from ya man.

I also heard from my firends that live there and they too are ok.

I have a lot of respect for you NYers as you have shown to the world your resolve and strength. You guys are truly setting a good example for us all and are also proving to the enemy that it will take a lot more than this to break the American spirit.

Hang in there Alex and give my best to your family. My thoughts will be with your friends and all who are unaccounted for.

Lonnie

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Glad to see you're ok. Man I'm going to pray for you and your friends and family. My sister and mother literally broke down in tears. They were at work and didn't see the planes crashing into the Centers, and when they saw it, man, I don't want to ever see that look on their faces ever again. Man this is horrible. :( I hope your friends are ok. I usually listen to sports on the radio while I sleep, and they were talking about the attack, which didn't bother me at all. But there were people calling saying that they were waiting word on their sisters and cousins. There were cellphone calls from people buried under the rubble. It was eerie and sad. These terrorist are going to get taken apart systematically.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Almu,

I almost called you late last night to see if you were ok. Glad you are and your family as well.

Clutch - I nominate Almu's post (or part of it) for the front page!!!

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This post brought tears to my eyes.

Glad you and your family are ok ALMU, and I pray for your friends and their families.

I have a 3 year old son who got the hugging of his life last night too.

THANK GOD, they will only read about this as history.

DaDakota

15. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Love hearing from you Almu.

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Almu-
    Glad to hear you are Ok! Good luck in the next few days the cleanup will be a hard process for the city and the country.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Almu -- very glad to hear you and yours are OK. Been thinking about you since we hadn't gotten a response earlier -- glad you're safe.

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Almu, my prayers are with you and your family

Toby

19. Alex

Alex Member

For some reason, I am having trouble logging into Almu. So, I logged in with my name instead.

Anyway, I live in Bayonne, NJ and there is an army terminal down the streets. God, its just sickening to see so many cars and buses usher in all the dead bodies that are supposedly in the vehicles.

Most of my neighbors are there right now and I just had to come back and post. Right now, alot of NYC is still in shock and as of this moment, only my friend Damien has called me.

The only hope I have right now is that either Pat and Chris are unable to call me because of the lack of phone capacities in some areas. Damien told me that he got out of the building adjacent to the bombings. That building as of this morning is virtually unscathed except for the busted up windows.

I don't know if in the news you guys heard but NATO is drafting a resolution to allow full retaliatory powers to the US and the NATO allies will give whatever is needed to aid the cause including military strenghth of their own. Good show of solidarity.

Also, my girlfriend went to work and she is on AIM right now. She is telling me that security is unbelievable and that its basically NO ID, NO ENTRANCE. You have to understand that she is right in the middle of Rockefeller Center near major, major department stores and businesses. She is telling me now that she is looking out her window and there is an Eyewitness News truck but with no activity back and forth. So, she called the news network and they asked her to identify herself. She did and they confirmed to her that its not a news truck that its the police. She went right to the boss and told him. He was like "I know". Its for protection because there are still many famous people who are going into Electra Records, CBS Records and Time Warner records today if they can. Scary.

Let me again thank the people again who's thoughts and prayers came my way yesterday and today. For those who tried to call me and didn't, you might of had a tough time getting through because sometimes the phone dies. I don't know if its related or the phone bill goes unpaid, but thanks again and I truly appreciate it.

On a different subject, I have 3 other pictures taken by my sister along with a small MPEG video. I can't seem to upload it to Yahoo for some reason. Anyway, I dont know if its because the extension on the pics are .art or if the video is not compatible for upload, but if there is any way to do it on this post, could someone verify and make sure its ok with the Clutch Crew? Or could someone give me a site where I can do that and link it to?

Thanks

Alex

20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

My prayers are with you, Almu, and everyone else affected by this tragedy. Very glad to hear you and your family are okay.