1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I will shut down the government. I will take that mantle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

This will be a great comfort to those unable to pay their mortgage.

2. biina

biina Member

No they picked the idiotic toddler!

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Instead of the other one.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess we'll find out what Democrats want more, open borders or open government.

6. foh

foh Member

This reminds me of that King Solomon and the baby judgement bible fable a little bit.

Soon enough liberals will buckle under the pressure from this exact same sentiment that you've expressed. Trump doesn't care about people (unless someone furloughed dies from hunger and it is shown on TV). Hopefully, the dems will buckle only after the last reasonable batch of people in the Trump's base will realize that deep down Trump is a psycho and will vote him out of office when the time comes.

Imagine the ads showing Trump shouting "I will take the mantle for a shutdown" and then pointing out that the president is responsible for the longest shut down in history that has caused AMERICAN people suffering and the nation significant economic losses over a made up crisis.

#846 foh, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  7. NewRoxFan

8. foh

foh Member

I'm sorry this made me laugh a little. I think you are being optimistic that either side of that wink is really capable for such mind gymnastics. Wall is an emotional statement first and foremost. Legal loopholes are for the swamp and its bureaucrats (and stephen miller who tried to close a loophole by separating families)

ps. I realize that you said "IF" :)

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

More people missing paychecks (including Coast Guard and FBI), more people needing to use public assistance, more pressure on pressure as public approvals continue to drop. Maybe a glimmer of hope...

B-Bob likes this.
  10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I may be wrong but it seems to me thst trumps fans respond to his projection of bottomless confidence in himself and lack of equivocation or ambiguity.

As long as he looks into the camera with those pale rings around his squinty eyes and the stern duckface like hes about to tell the country that its fired i believe his followers will want to buy whatever he's selling.

The appearance of confidence and control, and a black and white mastery of what is going on even when the opposite is true is my best understanding of what his appeal is and I've thought a lot about what his appeal might be.

Again, maybe I'm just really wrong.

Also, I'm pretty sure that whatever he does, his malignant narcissism will let him generate a narrative that explains why he did exactly the right thing and nobody else would have been a large enough genius to have pulled it off. I may be wrong on the former, but I'm pretty sure on the latter.

foh and vlaurelio like this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

12. NewRoxFan

13. NewRoxFan

Shameful that this has happened...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Wait is this real? Mitch is really allowing a vote on a bill to re-open without wall funding? I’d be pleasantly surprised after he repeatedly said that would never happen.

15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Yep...either one would need 60 votes though and it's unlikely either one gets there.

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah and that’s depressing. Basically the same bill that the Senate easily passed in December just days before the shutdown, but now Republicans won’t support it.

17. NewRoxFan

And, then, that glimmer start to fizzle out...

18. NewRoxFan

Meanwhile the turtle really doesn't want show votes or votes of conscious... he only wants bills that trump will sign. So much for one of theree branches of government and that wacky idea of separate but equal.

19. NewRoxFan

No Worries likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Here is a video explaining some of the context of how Trump thinks about negotiating a deal (in bad faith) and of how much trouble Trump has with powerful women wrt business deals.