1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I will shut down the government. I will take that mantle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 11, 2018.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

dachuda86 likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe Trump comes out of the shut down smelling like roses (never discount Pelosi and company getting played) but I have to say right now it doesn't look good for Trump.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Do you think it really matter to his base? That is the only thing he cares about these days.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Pelosi is probably the most effective speaker of the house since the 80's. She is criminally underestimated.

Who cares if she is not popular? or that Fox News likes to say mean things about her? Nobody is popular in congress., and Fox News is terrible. Having Nancy up there to absorb arrows is probably a benefit, also it frequently leads the right into dumb, overconfident gambles that backfire, (see, e.g, the Trump Shutdown)

Mitch McConnell is not popular, either, but he is undoubtedly effective at his goal of crushing democracy and destroying America.

Compare Pelosi as Speaker to Paul Ryan. It's comparing apples to a worn out p90x dvd.

Rashmon and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pelosi as speaker of the house is most effective when it comes to getting Republicans elected. It's what she's best at.

BruceAndre and dachuda86 like this.
  6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Trump wants to offer DACA concessions, but the Dems won't bite. A shame for all the families affected by their lack of flexibility when it comes to making a deal. Why not make a deal? Trump is willing.

The truth is, the dems don't care about the dreamers any more than the republicans do. They see it as a wedge issue and don't want to lose it right now. Trump may do well to fight for the dreamers and the wall at the same time, and build his support as the dems flounder another chance to score a victory.

Why are the dems stuck in a losing mentality?

Make no mistake, Republicans are crap too. They fail to stand up for themselves and refuse to support each other as they get picked off one by one by nonesense campaigns. But that's a different problem entirely.

It seems the political climate has really become heated. A cross-isle deal is needed to restore faith in the process. Will we get it? Time will tell.

#506 dachuda86, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/bui...y-in-america-the-only-country-i-know-and-love

Interesting read from a Dreamer who went to UH.

"Like millions of Americans, I will be watching President Trump address the nation Tuesday night on his demand for $5.7 billion from Congress to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border in return for ending the partial government shutdown. But I’m not an American, even though I feel like one. I’m an immigrant brought to the U.S. illegally when I was just a year old.

I am one of the approximately 700,000 so-called Dreamers now living in the U.S. For now, I’m here legally because I am protected by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. But that protection may end soon, because DACA is being challenged in the courts.

And it might surprise you to know that I’m also a supporter of President Trump. I believe it is vital that we focus on America's safety first and find the necessary resources for the Border Patrol to do its job effectively, while still giving people like me a chance to stay in the only country we’ve ever called home and loved."
    --

"I graduated from the University of Houston in 2017 with two degrees in business and now work at a Fortune 500 company as a technology consultant.

I am the first in my family to get a college degree. I hope to get an MBA in a few years, become an executive at a Fortune 500 company, and eventually become an American citizen who can contribute to the greatness of this country.

I didn’t ask to come to the U.S. when I was a baby – I was too young to talk. But I thank God I was brought here and grew up in the greatest country on Earth. I pray to God that I can stay.

It’s time to end the partial government shutdown, give the 800,000 federal workers going without pay their jobs and paychecks back, restore government services to the American people, and make the dreams of Dreamers like me come true by letting us stay here and giving us a pathway to eventual citizenship in the United States.

"

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The odd thing... trump could make all that last paragraph happen. Doesn't need to convince Democrats. Doesn't need to convince republicans (well, he would to Dreamers). Only needs to drop the wall and instead negotiate the billions for border security.

And its also important to note that trump could have gotten the billions he wants the past two years. He was blocked by republicans who help both houses and didn't want to spend the money.

Heck, Democrats even agreed to fund one year of the wall. trump turned them down.

9. NewRoxFan

LOL... trump's past tweets aren't the only funny ones... here the turtle gets embarrassed...

By coincidence I was helping our a team in the field that needed Total Energy Costs for our and competing products. I was able to provide information from an industry analyst, which was a good thing, since the governments Energy Star web site (www.energystar.gov) is shut down.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My understanding is that, while free to use, e-Verify is complicated and burdensome. Legislators say implementation is an excessive burden for small companies. Hiding behind the needs of small business is a time-honored DC tradition. It would seem to me you could make an exception for companies with fewer than X employees so you can get the requirement out there to cover off most jobs. So I don't think that's the real reason at all. My suspicion -- and this might be where my political bias comes into play -- is that employers don't want it, not because of the compliance costs, but because it will force them to reject illegal aliens they want to hire and they will be forced to change their business model in order to hire Americans or go out of business. So, when I see this debate where we're being asked to finance a $30B+ wall because legislators are too beholden to companies that depend on the wall failing to cut off illegal labor, well I get cynical. Hows about we tell the dereg crusaders to stuff it, require e-verify anyway, watch grocery prices go up, watch some light manufacturing industries dry up, and then see if after all that did e-verify manage to cost us $30 billion in dead weight loss?

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

The Dems should make a deal with Trump for the sake of these Dreamers. I can't even imagine living in virtual fear of being deported to a country I knew nothing about. Give Trump something to save face and get something really valuable in return plus end this stupid government shutdown.

12. Nook

Nook Member

No, the "dems" care a hell of a lot more about the dreamers than the Republicans do.

JayGoogle, pirc1 and Invisible Fan like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Correct... Democrats want a separate ("clean") Dreamer bill. republicans don't.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm no expert either. But if it is to remain the status quo for so many years from sloth like bureaucracy or whatever excuse they want to use. Between the govt being bought, the politicians lying, and a flat out media that does not educate the populace. It's all very dumb.

BruceAndre likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Another republican crosses the aisle...

16. NewRoxFan

17. NewRoxFan

And here's senator collins...

18. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

The shutdowns are the first warning signs, the first rumblings from the political/financial earthquake that the debt/deficit will cause. Don't expect them to go away while we still have the debt/deficit. Which is to say, don't expect them to stop happening anytime soon.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The most recent shutdowns have little to do with debt or deficit. This one is about the wall, the last one was Ted Cruz trying to defund Obamacare.

No Republican is actually concerned about debt or deficit when they cut taxes on the rich

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member