1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I want to hear from those of you who are still undecided

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rockbox, Aug 17, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

still undecided. tuned into and out of d&d b/c of ... well, someone above analogized it to learning about sex by getting raped in the ass. that's about right. well, im back into this thread b/c the soapbox folks seem to be out of this thread.

Let me propose another way of looking at things.

Most undecided's are not happy with our alternatives b/c there's substantial evidence that they will screw up something important or take us in a direction we don't want to go. So, how about voting for the candidate that is least likely to cause major damage? Perhaps a vote for gridlock is the best choice b/c the prospects of one candidate successfully pushing an agenda is worse than a government that will do little but generally stay the course.

Thinking along these lines, I am inclined to go with Kerry because the republican congress will just butt heads with Kerry and we won't go flying in any particular direction.

Granted, this line of thinking is, in a way, a vote of no confidence regarding our government. Yet, given our choices, perhaps that's appropriate in this election year.

edit - this line of thinking may not be all that good for the war. so i'm rethinking.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Deckard, I appreciate your comments, I really do. Also realize that there's approximately 75 days until the election. I'm posting as if the election was today. Things can change.

As far as the site, I don't really write anything that purports to be more liberal or conservative. I try to write movie reviews with stereotypes thrown in from both sides. The resident liberal on the site is more liberal than I am and actually writes opinion pieces based on the issue. I'm more "entertainment".

3. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

One of the few posts I'll have in here since I generally try to avoid heated debates... plus am not that knowledgable on the campaign issues with this being my first year elegible to vote. (will vote by the way)

Your post sums up pretty much how I feel about voting for a presidential candidate.

I was one of those that thought W was a good idea in 2000 simply because of the opponent he was running against (Al Gore, who to me was boring/dull/etc).

However, the Iraq War has greatly turned my opinion of W around.

Not to the point of denying that he's done ANY good for this country in the 4 years he has been in office, but to the point of questioning whether he should carry on for another 4 years in the White House.

I'm also not a big Kerry fan either. However, I may vote for Kerry simply for a change of pace for this country and to get it heading in a different direction, whether that be good or not.

-ISO

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

dude just admit your fiancee is a hard core conservative and you're p-whipped!
    :D

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

and what would you know about being p-whipped?

:D:D:D

;)

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking, but figured I should just let him continue his "soccer/Shrub" analogy. :D
    It's getting pretty funny. Sorta like trying to fight your way out of a wet paper bag. Not that hard, but messy.

I know how influential a partner can be. My sister was a liberal independent until she married, in our horror, a staunch, right-wing Republican. Over the course of their 30 year marriage, she became pretty close to her hubby's views... like, for the last 25 years. And, you know what? She recently told me she was going to vote for Kerry. Bush was far too radical for her, as a Republican. You could have knocked me over with a feather, I was that surprised.

I had the good fortune to marry a very intelligent liberal (smarter than me, but I have her bamboozled into thinking the reverse ;) ), who votes Democratic, unless she likes a certain Republican. In short, the same way I do, except I am a Democrat. She's an executive with the State, who works with the Legislature. Needless to say, in the current climate, she/we have to fly very much "under the radar." No bumper stickers on the cars, for example, and we glance around when we're at one of those smoke-filled rooms in the bars or eating in the restaurants around the Capitol, when we're talkin' politics. You know, the places where stuff gets done and the Members are hangin' out, doing business. I love what she does and I love her dearly. I'm one damned lucky son of a b****in' Democrat and husband. 26 years, and counting. God, I'm getting misty just thinking about her. I hope the kids crash early tonight.

Booyah!

7. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

For the soccer players RM95 was referring to:

http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/news?slug=usatoday-politicaladupsetsiraqip&prov=usatoday_wire&type=lgns

Political ad upsets Iraqi players

Iraqi soccer players said they are angered that President Bush has referred to their Olympic delegation in a campaign ad and called on him to stop, Sports Illustrated reported Thursday on its Web site.

"Iraq as a team does not want Mr. Bush to use us for the presidential campaign," Iraqi midfielder Salih Sadir told SI.com through a translator. "He can find another way to advertise himself."

The Bush campaign is running an ad in which the flags of Iraq and Afghanistan appear.

A narrator says, "At this Olympics there will be two more free nations - and two fewer terrorist regimes. With strength, resolve and courage, democracy will triumph over terror and hope will defeat hatred."

There are no images of Iraqi soccer players in the ad.

Another player was harshly critical of the president.

"How will he meet his god having slaughtered so many men and women?" Ahmed Manajid told SI.com. "He has committed so many crimes."

There was no immediate response from the Bush campaign on the criticism from the Iraqis.

The players said they were grateful that Saddam Hussein's son, Uday, was no longer in charge of the country's Olympians, SI.com reported. He had tortured players for playing badly. U.S. troops killed him last year in Mosul.

Still, the team's coach said the ad was inappropriate and that the team does not support the U.S. occupation of Iraq.

"My problems are not with the American people," Iraqi coach Adnan Hamad told SI.com.

"They are with what America has done in Iraq: destroy everything," he said. "The American army has killed so many people in Iraq. What is freedom when I go to the (national) stadium and there are shootings on the road?"

8. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

I know what you mean, I want to know who is letting this people building the I 10 freeway be so freaking dirty. Everytime I am in my car driving by I 10 on the way to my house, the dusty freeway gets my car all dirty. I know it's a construction site, but this is beyon believe. If only I knew who lets these people be as unsanitary as they are, I would vote against them. That's like the thing that affects me the most right now but there are other things I don't like about how Texas is doing. So i will take your advise and vote. Who knows, I might vote for both R. and D. but its very unlikely, I'm leaning towards the D. party and since i don't know any of the issues the local elections are focousing on, I just might vote D. all the way, but I'm still not sure,it all depends in who is letting I-10 be all dusty, whoever it is, I'm voting agaist them.

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

blame John Culberson. He is up for re-election and he is an R.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wow, that's a shocker from RM95. I am not in agreement with a lot of his issue based analysis but don't feel like getting into that.

The part that was puzzling to me though was that voting for Bush now, despite it being repulsive to him, was necessary to set up a better election in 2008. Not only do I see that as an undistinct possibility, but even if it were true, I don't see that as a valid basis to chuck the next 4 years.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

It's good to see that legislative change via the judicial branch is not just a figment of my imagination!

12. giddyup

You're not handling this real well, are you?

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm handling it very well, giddy. I think I've made the point I was looking to make, after I saw RM95's "decision." Considering what you quoted, am I to assume that your core views on politics change with the seasons as well? You don't have to answer that. I said in another thread, when quoting Chance on basso, that I wouldn't post in this thread again. Not because I wouldn't enjoy it, but because I know how I'm going to vote, as do you. This thread isn't about us.

14. giddyup

I'm quite amused that you are even asking this of me. I thought I had the reputation for one of the hardest heads around here!

I resonated to Lynus302's post.

I am a moderate inclined-Republican.

Pro-Life
    Pro-GunControl (what can I say about the 2nd Amendment but it is old)
    Pro-Gay Marriage (gay marriages might improve the state of marriage)
    Pro-US Sovereignty

These candidates are all compromises. I'm not as big a fan of Bush as you and your cohorts here think. I can see and think. I'd like things to be better, but I'm not about to jump on some catterwauling bandwagon and bash everything he does at a time when our nation is under attack.

And, yes, I would have afforded Gore the same accomodation. Some things are more important then these evanescent political transitions. America must go on.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Couldn't help yourself, could you. ;)
    OK, one more time. Your sarcasm detector is not functioning. Telling me "I'm not handling this well" is as rediculous as my comment. Tit for tat, old chap.

16. giddyup

I say tit for tit's sake alone. Good night. ;)

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I love my Mom.

18. giddyup

I love my Uncle Sam.

19. outlaw

outlaw Member

where did i say anything about legislative change?

20. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

You are demonstrating the analytical abilities of a child.