1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I want Texans players to put on an Oilers Jerseys ON GAMEDAY. Let's honor Bum Phillips.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pokemon, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

More than likely, the Titans wouldn't be able to do this. With the new NFL safety rules, once a player has been fitted for a helmet then they are to use that helmet the entire season.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The crowd would be like "who the hell is this guy? Get on with the game already."

[​IMG]

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

They can just keep the helmets and use different jerseys.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I doubt the NFL dress code committee would allow that but you never know.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well they had these, so maybe it's just a phone call away

[​IMG]

6. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

I am all for honoring bum. I would not watch the game if we had on oiler colors.

It would be like the baltimore ravens wearing the original browns jersey for a day. See how that would go over for fans of both teams.

7. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

We should line up in Luv Ya Blue era uniforms and dare the NFL to stop us.

Kick the sumbitch in.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The fear of lawsuits by Bud Adams, the Titans, and the NFL would be enough to stop anybody.

The name, logo, nicknames, and uniforms do not belong to the city of Houston... even though they should.

Bud felt they were better off staying with him, than leaving them behind in the city he still calls home.

9. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Instant lawsuit.

10. Raven

Raven Member

If I saw Watt, Cushing, or AJ wearing an Oilers jersey, I'd puke.

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Man you got a weak stomach. I hope arian comes out with a 34 cambell jersey, keenum in a pastorini, johnson can be billy whiteshoes.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

To all the Chiefs fans?

Not really sure what the Texans can do considering they're the visiting team.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It would be really heartless for the Titans to do something to honor Bum. The people in Tennessee don't care about him, and he sure as hell didn't care about them.

The guy is Texas through and through. Its non coincidence that he started hanging around the Texans once they were in town.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't know about "heartless", but certainly would be a wasted tribute in a city that probably doesn't even know who he was.

But, the tribute would be from Bud... not from the city... and Bud's team plays in Nashville now. I'm sure with each day they honor old Oilers, Bud thinks to himself, "Why the hell did I move here???"

Similar to when they honored Warren Moon there... I'm sure Warren was thinking "WTF?!? This aint the dome!" He never got a ceremony in front of fans who actually watched and appreciated what he did.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Geez the man just died. Let the family mourn. We don't have to jump on a tribute right away. Would make better since to do something at home, in Houston.

16. HookemHorns1250

It's a Code Blue game for the Titans today (Titans fans know what that means), so I doubt they wear Oiler uniforms today.

I hate it though, I think both teams should be able to honor him in any way they wish. Obviously a lot of Titans fans were Oiler fans, so this hits us as well. I'm sure the Texans will come up with something amazing to honor him, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

17. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

I would not be suprised if the Titans did something to honor him.

Same owner from the oilers, same franchise (new name), 2 coaches are retired oilers. Honestly it would make sense if they did do something to honor him. Would the fans understand? probably not the newer fans but the fans that were original oiler fans would definitly understand.

As far as the texans honoring him, I am sure they will do something classy, but it will not involve the oilers colors/logo/name.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

We can build a statue that looks eerily similar to this

[​IMG]

as an FU to the Titans showing them where the real Oilers history lives.

Name the statue "True Texan" and let everyone know who it really is.

19. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

A white Stetson, yes. An Oilers jersey, hell no!

20. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

I don't think so; I think it'd be more like the Ravens wearing the original Baltimore Colts uniforms. I'd love if we got the Oilers name and colors back for good.