1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I want a whole new coaching staff

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Mar 28, 2003.

1. haven

haven Member

The offense is hideous. I have no idea who's fault it is, but we either need new players or new coaching.

It works occasionally, but damn its ugly.

2. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

But the coaching staff (Larry Smith) need to get that fine balance between installing the discipline and developing young players. Young players are bound to make mistakes. If you want to develop them and build your team for the future, you have to let them play through their mistakes. Benching them after every single mistake would destory their confidence big time and confidence is the most important thing for young players. Young players wouldn't perform if they feel that their coach has no confidence in them. It is just the way it is.

3. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Sad but true for several years running. To be honest, I am quite envious of Sacramento, they've been alot of fun to watch for while now.

4. Trickdaddy1319

Yep thats why we missed the playoffs for 4 straight years, going on 5.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would love to have the coach of Marquette coaching the Rockets, have you watched their offense, all the back screens, and secondary screens they set to free up shooters?

Ah man, intelligent basketball....a joy to watch....guess I will have to watch the paint dry until the Rockets get a new coach or a brain transplant.

DD

6. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

We've missed the playoffs for three years in a row. Not four, and it sure as hell won't be five.

7. pchan

pchan Member

How about the coach from Uconn women team? I think his name is Geno Aurieman... forgot how to spell his last name.

I have watched them last year.. and this year.. some of the people on the team has changed, but they still share the ball and is very team-oriented despite having many good players

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The smartest college coach is still going to get the dumbest looks from his pro-feshunals.

Sorry, give me an NBA coach. Woo Doc Rivers, or JVG. Find me the next Rick Carlisle. But do not saddle me with a college coach.

Maybe Larry Smith is the next Doc or Carlisle. Maybe given a fresh start at training camp with a staff he put together he will be the man. Hard, impossible, to tell right now.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

And we had only 2 losing seasons during that period.

10. dn1282

dn1282 Member

what's your point? A year without making the playoffs is a losing year, period.

11. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Do any of y'all have opinions about Pat Riley? I think he would be a good coach for us. He has plenty of experience and is good with big men and has usually been a respected coach. If he gets fired by Miami, then I hope the Rockets can sign him. That is...if Rudy decides to retire.

12. SCOOTER T.

SCOOTER T. Contributing Member

13. darin1998

darin1998 Member

Rudy surrounds himself with coaches that are inferior to him and are not willing to challenge his authority. Basically, Rudy wants a bunch of "yes" men who shake their heads in affirmation of his decisions. This situation is classic for dictators who command loyalty to the status quo. Les needs to make a stand to help this team grow:

a) fire Rudy and hire a completely new experienced staff
    b) force Rudy to hire an assistant with a lot of experience

Change is necessary at this point...

14. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

Yes, Larry is terrible. I thought Rudy had brought away from purely ISO to team passing before he left; but Larry brought back the ISO game. The most unfortunate part is he designs plays for Yao to play ISO and pwoer game, which is totally exposing Yao current weakness and hiding his strength.

Maybe that will be a good training in the summer; but right now, we need win and win and a lot of win. We have no chance to change our successful team passing system.

The other move that bothered me recently was he plays a same set of players with Yao; but never put Yao together with Rice, particularly early part of the game. That makes Yao and Rocket's starting five's option limited to ISO. When Yao was double or treble teamed, he has no one to pass. When Rudy was there, he designs Rice to get Yao the ball; and a double team came, Yao would pass that back to Rice for a 3-point shot.

I haven't seen that for a long long time.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

15. rocketsball2003

let me guess, you got passed up on a coaching job with the rockets and your mad at rudy... you poor baby...

16. Sane

Sane Member

I just hope that

1) Rudy will get well soon
    2) We will have him back for the playoffs

Next year, I'd like to see a coaching change and a reasonable roster overhaul. Replace Mobley and Moochie with 2 other guards, get a star Forward, and go to war.

Right now, Larry's doing a decent job. We're winning games we SHOULD win which is all we need from the rest of this season (we're tied with Phoenix).

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You can't always get what you want!

18. markao

markao Member

:mad:

19. markao

markao Member

everyone know smith is not the correct coach for rocket, but who will be ? who will be the future of rocket? we know, it wasnt catoor mobely, it's must be or may be yao and steve!!!!!
    the next coach must know how to use them, Jackson or Brown.
    it's sure.

20. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

:rolleyes: Isn't your post a bit pointless? By your logic, maybe every asisstant coach in the NBA is the next Doc or Carlisle?

We're 3-5 under Larry Smith (with only 1 decent win vs GSW, come on every half decent team even without their coach can win vs the tanking Clippers and the terrible Nugguts) and the basketball we played especially on the offensive end was horrible and unwatchable. Basically it was set back to the ISO stuff of 1 year ago.

You might argue that Smith needs a training camp or new staff/players but look at Hubie Brown, he didn't have training camp and new staff/players either.

Fact is that this young team doesn't need a young coach without any experience and qualification trying to learn the game himself. We need an experienced coach who has the respect of the players and knows the game.

If I were Rockets, I would either surround Rudy with more experienced assistant coaches or if Rudy doesn't come back, find an experienced coach ala Hubie Brown.