1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I thought Replay would take care of this

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by IVFL, Jan 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. IVFL

IVFL Member

Has anyone else seen the replay of the Pacers last second shot. Man the reffs really blew that call. Oneil got the ball off before the final buzzer but not before the 24 second buzzer. Too bad, and I thought replay would stop the blown calls by reffs. Oh well

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Huh?

If the final buzzer can sound before the 24 second one shouldnt the 24 second shot clock be shut down? I am confused. :confused:

3. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

No, when the Pacers got the ball, like 24.2 seconds were left, so he let go of it when the shot clock was 00 and the game clock was like .2 seconds.

Instant replay and refs can only change ruling on the final shot, meaning only the game clock.

For some reason, they didn't call a 24-second violation which was completely erroneous by the refs.

When they saw the replay, they knew they blew the call, but they couldn't change ruling on a last second shot during a 24-second possession, only when the player shoots after the game clock hits 0.

They deliberated with Rick Carlisle and Isiah Thomas for 17 minutes, 9 seconds.

They need to change the rules.

4. fatman510

fatman510 Member

I think that they should incorporate replay for all plays next season. There are a ton of blown calls that cost a team a win.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

NBA games would turn into a 4+ hour affair instead of 2 hour game. That would turn off a lot of people and could lose fans. A lot of people that I know say they like NBA because it flows fast.

6. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

NO this is what really happen. The game clock was at 24.1 when they were inbounding and the shot clock was at 24 as usual. But somehow the shotclock was ahead of the game clock when the ball was inbounded by more than .1 of what it should be. O'Neal got it off before .1 in the game clock so that is why it counted. That was the RIGHT call.

7. IVFL

IVFL Member

Funny cuz I just watched the replay again on ESPN and it even highlights the fact that the 24 second clock is expired and the ball is still in Oneils and, but there is like .3 seconds left on the game clock. If the shot clock was ahead of the game clock it would have shut down. so a player does not get confused. the reffs blew the call

8. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Also, the referees took SEVENTEEN MINUTES TO REVIEW THE SHOT. THEY ARE ONLY ALLOWED TWO MINUTES...

9. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

I was going to start a thread on this myself. It was fascinating because the shot clock was not in sync with the game clock. Apparently, this must be driven by two separate apparatus or something. Does anyone in the know on this BBS know whether they have two different hands on two separate switches at a typical NBA arena?

I knew exactly why they were taking so long at the time. No doubt they saw the shot clock barely visible at the top saying "00" with the ball in the hands of the shooter, and they were probably wondering which takes precedence; the fact that the game clock said 24.1 originally, or whether a "00" means automatic shot clock violation. In my mind, if the game clock said "24.1" at the beginning of the possession, you ought to subtract 24 seconds exactly from that and as long as the shooter gets it away before 0.1 on the game clock, that ought to count. The shot was let go at approximately 0.3 seconds. Right call.

I'm 100% behind what the refs did. For a change!