1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think we need to get back to ugly ball (JVG Style)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tanlogic, Feb 24, 2010.

1. batizy

batizy Member

Defense wins the champion , offense wins the fans.
    Defense is better than offense, JVG is better than Adelman, period.

2. matthappy

matthappy Member

here comes the fact, we are not the team we were before.

with the current players ,u still think we can play hard defense?see our backcourt -ab along with slim martin,OMG,any decent NBA players could eat them both.see our frontcourt,our start C is chuck hayes,though he is ok in the skill ,u can't count on his improve in his height.

so without any better option,we need to play fast game.everyone in this team is asked to run and gun.i know this is a perfect system,but we need to do this now.with yao back next season,we are sure to take back the half court play.u can't ignore ur main weapon like yao.

anyway i myself agree we need to emphasis more on D,but not likely based on the current players

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

JVG has advanced past the first round 5 times and went to the Finals 1 time('99). JVG never advanced the Rockets past the first round.

Adelman has advanced past the first round 8 times and went to the Finals 2 times('90,'92). Adelman took the Rockets to the 2nd round and the Lakers to 7 games.

4. Mr. Space City

JVG had an interior defensive presence during his era tho.

the way the new perimeter defense rules are set up it's pretty hard to impede an offensive perimeter player's drive to the basket without the hand check rule.

in the JVG era when guys would blow past our perimeter defenders it was fine because we had the interior defensive presence of yao and deke.

right now when guys blow past our perimeter defenders we have NO interior defensive presence because our star center is injured right now.

wait till yao comes back before you bash adelman's defensive coaching abilities.

and btw last year WITH adelman and WITH yao our defensive rating was 4th of 30 and our opponents ppg was 7th of 30

;)

5. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

RA hardly reminds defense issues after losing games.
    He always puts much more emphisis on offense than defense.
    This is what I really do not put up with...
    Defense has caused big problem for this team!!!
    We can't defend any team... :(

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqYOcB9X2jA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqYOcB9X2jA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I know you're a yao-only- fan, but to say yao is vastly more talented then brooks is a joke even by yao fan boys status.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

hahhahahaha.....That's awesome!

+1REP.

Miss JVG. :(

9. BetterThanEver

I been a Rockets fan since my days at UH in 1994 and Hakeem.

10. BetterThanEver

BTW, if you have seen my posts before. You would know that I am rooting for Yao not to be signed to an extension. I know you are a TOF that joined the forum after the trade and you are mad that your boy got traded to the Knicks.

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We're missing two guys from last year who really gave us defensive toughness inside--Yao Ming and Ron Artest.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Do you remember JVG's record when TMac played 47 games and Yao played 57 games during the 05-06 season? Do you really want to go back to a coach that can not even win half of his games (34 wins) when he had the use of one or both of his superstars for most of the season. RA has been with out any superstars all season long and we are still winning 50% of our games when no one expected us to win 30 games for the year. :rolleyes:

13. Landry92

Landry92 Member

No ..
    But I would really to like to see some defense coming from somebody other than battier ..

14. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

We should certainly play much better defense than we are doing.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm not surprised by anything I read here anymore.

16. choujie

choujie Member

Trust me, the talent gap between Yao/AB is bigger than the talent gap between Hakeem/Yao.

17. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

That's what I've been saying! :cool:

18. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Whether we purposely slow down the offense is one thing but we have to play better defense. In this losing streak we've put up enough points to win but it has been laughably easy to score inside on us. Granted defensive rotations are going to take awhile to adjust with all the new faces and having Ariza/ Lowry out, but defense is all about effort and I just don't see it right now.

19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Not everyone sees the glass as half full.