1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think our chances on getting Omer Asik are getting better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, May 2, 2011.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

All things being equal, I'd much rather acquire Jonas Valunciunas.

1 person likes this.
  2. MONON

MONON Member

The Bulls are in almost the same position as we are. They have Noah(6-11) starting at center and the 6-9 Kurt Thomas as the back up. The only player taller than Noah is Asik(7-0). They'll keep him hoping he developes. I wouldn't mind having him if a trade could be arranged though.

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This is the trade I want.

1. It could help the Rockets get a star.

2. A better Bulls team means better challenger to the Heat in the East.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'd love that trade but I don't think it can happen.

Bulls would score over 10 more ppg and we'd have some nice young tools. It'd be win win.

5. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

He would not even be top 10 in Euroleague.

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Please list them. Thanks.

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Luis Scola
    Courtney Lee
    Brad Miller
    Chuck Hayes
    Orlando pick

for

Carlos Boozer
    Omer Asik
    Charlotte Pick

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

^No, thank you.

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Asik is Asik mfer'.....But really he's gonna let yall down like other "alleged" potentially great Euro big men........More minutes = more fouls = loss of confidence= doghouse= typical fan bashing

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no idea who Omer Asik is, so he must be terrible.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

If it takes us Courtney Lee to get Omer Asik then I want Keith Bogans and a pick, being said as a fan. Bulls should not get the best of both worlds in any trade for Lee. Could you imagine Brewer backing up Deng and Bogans backing up Lee? Honestly, though they should pursue a defensive wing like Stephen Jackson, Gerald Wallace, Tayshaun Prince or someone similar. I think Deng gets overwhelmed against LeBron James and other top tier wings, and speaking for the moment the Heat are the team to beat in the East and if NY lands Howard then Carmelo Anthony's game is going to take off.

That being said, Omer Asik is going to be a perrenial bench player. I would much rather dream about Tiago Splitter coming to the Rockets or taking a chance on a foreign prospect of similar playing style. What have the Bulls really to offer other than Bogans, Brewer and Deng that the Rockets could possible have an open spot for? Kevin Martin and Kyle Lowry are going to get their minutes, same with Chase, Patrick and Dragic.

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

No, Howard's offensive rebound numbers will take off.....Imagine the amount of Off. Rebs when Melo and Amare start throwing up tons of bricks.....Dwight would rival Moses for the Offensive Rebound King of All time Award (ORKA)

13. Prince

Prince Member

No wonder you're a rookie.

14. inishi

inishi Member

so true, thank god none of you will ever be the GM of any team I'm a fan of

15. alethios

alethios Member

And to think we could have had him instead of Joey Dorsey in the 2008 draft. Or Deandre Jordan for that matter, but we're on the subject of Omer Asik and DJ already has his own thread.

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't believe this to be true. The Bulls only additional options not on the table at the trade deadline that will be available in the offseason would be for them to sign outright JR Smith or Michael Redd and honestly both will have competition for their services and both can be undependable. If the Bulls get bounced because of poor SG play and Asik didn't see much court, I think they take a long hard look and consider Houston's offer(Lee for Asik + pick) because Lee has a decent contract and the Bulls can always shop for a low contract 4th big(which is what Asik is right now) or trade their Charlotte pick with Houston and still end up with a late lotto pick.

That being said, I think the Bulls definitely will look for better offers in the offseason and specifically look into getting rid of Boozer(how this guy continues to fool teams into giving him so much money is beyond me) for an upgrade at the 2.

...but let's not freak out over the Charlotte pick, guys. That pick is lottery-protected in the 2012 draft, but is only protected 1-to-12 in 2013, 1-to-10 in 2014 and 1-7 in 2015. It's unprotected in 2016.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I'm still waiting for OHMSS to reveal the list of 10 Euroleague big men who are better than Omer Asik that he has compiled.

18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

[​IMG]

can i learn from your ways?? all mighty member?

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Kurt Thomas is 38 years-old and can't be counted on to backup Noah next season and beyond. Omer Asik isn't going anywhere this summer unless it's for a much better SG than Courtney Lee. I like Lee a lot but let's be realistic and not overvalue Rockets players.

20. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Asik is big, athletic and can play defense. I've always liked him quite a bit and he would be a good backup center to have for the Rockets for size and defense. That's not enough to be considered a top center in Euroleague. I assure you that there are much better centers in Euroleague than him.

For example, the Rockets would be stupid to choose him over Euroleague centers like Varda, Javtokas, Schortsanitis, Shermadini, Bourousis, Tomic, Barac.

Guys like D. Lavrinovic, Kaun, Vazquez, Sinanovic, N'Dong, Perovich, Maric, Savas, Sokolov, Nesterovich, and Crosariol are more or less at the same level. Hell, even the third string center of Olympiacos, Glyniadakis isn't that much worse than Asik to be honest about it. Same with the third string center of PAO, Vougioukas - not much worse than Asik. Worse, yes but you get the idea. There are third strong Euroleague centers that are almost as good as him.

Personally, I count about 9 current Euroleague centers that I would rather have than him. I would also rather have guys like Mozgov, Splitter, Pekovic who came to the NBA from Euroleague along with him this year. I'm not saying it would not be a good idea to get him for size and defense off the bench, just that there are so many guys in Euroleague that are better than him, it is just stupid to not even consider them, but yet to want Asik just because he played a few NBA games.

A lot of NBA fans really need to expand their basketball knowledge.