1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

i think my neighbor is stealing my gas...need advice for revenge scheme

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jo mama, Oct 13, 2011.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

here is the backstory. bear with me...

been in my house about 3 years - neighbor isnt a bad guy, but he is basically a bum - he is "sick", so he doesnt work - wife does. they have the worst house on the street - trash everywhere, dilapidated house, giant trash pile in back yard. im pretty certain i saved about $10k on my house b/c of these people so i knew what i was getting into.

anyway, he has constant financial problems like electricity getting cut off, furniture rental place repossessing furniture, phone getting cut off - every few months he comes over to use my phone for a few days. anyway, he asked to borrow $15 for gas once and i loaned him $5, which he said he would pay back that night. of course, he never did, but i didnt make an issue out of it. but the next time he asked to borrow money i told him no. and the 3rd time i told him no too.

now, my garage was converted to a game room, which i use as storage. b/c its connected to my house i dont keep my lawnmower or gas can in there, rather i leave them on the back porch. ive noticed over the years that my gas can will be empty when i know it should be at least half full. i suspected my neighbor, but cant prove anything.

so yesterday i noticed that my gas can was missing. not just empty, but missing. and i look over the fence and see a discarded gas can just like mine in his trash pile. of course, i cant prove its mine but i am pretty sure it was him.

the gas can was not visible from the street - someone came into my back yard specifically for it - if it was a random robber there was other stuff they could have taken too, but didnt.

so here is my revenge scheme...

i initially thought about getting a lock for my fence, but instead i want to try and sabotage the thief - what i want to do is put out a "decoy" gas can that is loaded w/ something that will f*** up the thiefs engine. ive heard the sugar in the gas is a myth, but does anyone else know something that would work? it would have to have some gas in there for the smell, but what else can i mix in there?

it would also allow me to find out if its my neighbor - if the gas gets stolen and i see him having car troubles i will know it was him.

1 person likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why do you want to mess up his engine? Just shoot him. Problem solved.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he is in that bad of shape, do you think pity might be a better option?

DD

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hey, this is America. You can't afford your own stuff? Die.

2 people like this.
  5. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Put bleach in your gas can.

I think they did this on Mythbusters. Bleach is an oxidizer, when you put it in your tank, it will rust out the bottom of the tank within a couple of days. It will also rust out your fuel pipes and get in your engine, where it will rust out your pistons and everything else, causing the motor to seize up and die eventually.

6. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Report the burglary to HPD and the homeowners association. Tell your neighbors around you, (including him) that your house was burglarized and to keep on the lookout. Tell them you purchased a gun for home security and are getting an alarm installed and will be ready the next time.

I think that should do it.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i pity the fool that pities a thieving *******.

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Then he'll be coming over to borrow your car.

10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I don't know what the best solution is, but it seems to me that destroying his car would only lead to MORE financial difficulties for this guy, and I can't see how that would help your situation long term for the guy to be that much more strapped for cash.

1 person likes this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

if you destroy his car, he might steal your car.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This.

Or,

[​IMG]

Record wrong-doings, file charges, bye-bye deadbeat neighbor.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Great idea IMO.

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

It probably goes without saying, but you should definitely stop leaving stuff on your back porch, too.

1 person likes this.
  15. updawg

updawg Member

Messing up his car is a bad idea

1 person likes this.
  16. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I don't see how ****ing him over makes it a better situation. You're taking a relatively small problem and turning it into a huge one. Just keep your gas can in the garage...

17. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Doesn't seem like this suspected thief has much to lose in life. I would not bet on the guy reacting nicely once you f-up his car/machine. If you are willing to accept the consequences which may come your way, then go for it.

18. BenVR4

BenVR4 Member

i would say don't do it just confront him about it. If he is already in a bad financial situation you possibly ruining his car will make things worse not just for him but his wife.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sheesh, stories like this are why I don't talk to my neighbors, aside from a friendly wave as I'm pulling into my garage...and closing the door. I'd rather them think I'm a hermit than have to deal with stuff like this. Sad but true.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea. Doesn't matter how bad off you are, stealing from your neighbor's back porch should have some consequences.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

while it is tempting to get back at him, I wouldn't do so for the simple fact that the worse he has it, the worse you will have it.

Lock up your stuff as much as possible and hunker down.