1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think meddlesome sports owners are a good example of why capitalism and private property are bad.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HamJam, May 19, 2016.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Your over-inflated ego is duly noted, and appropriately chortled at, as well as your inability to actually articulate any sort of a response to my points.

BTW, by YOUR OWN ARGUMENT, you don't MAKE any money, you are merely the recipient of blind luck and the beneficiary of randomness. Maybe sit back on that POANG chair and ponder that for a bit...

1 person likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't own a POANG anymore - I make too much money.

You don't really have any points, other than that you think the overarching evidence of the role of randomness in determining outcomes is a bunch of humbug, becasue, gosh darn it, you're going to just work hard and beat those odds.

It's pretty thoroughly supported in both the science and my own personal experience.

I am pretty darned lucky though - you are correct, which is why I can bike to work and then lay down a slick internet burn first thing in the morning rather than have a much, much worse job.

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Your over-inflated ego has already been discussed.

Yet you found it necessary to respond...interesting.

Please do elaborate on where I said anything remotely like that...you will find, if you stop looking down your pug nose, that I didn't say that at all.

I do, however, find it amusing when blowhards such as yourself pontificate on what I think, when, in fact, they not only clearly have no clue what I think, but what they say I think it neither accurate at all, nor supported by what I've posted in the thread.

YOU, on the other hand, DID indicate that capitalism is a bunch of hum bug, because, gosh darn it, one's merits are irrelevant, and its all just luck and randomness. Indicating that one should just sit around and wait for goodness to arrive in their lap, or not, and if not, well, shucks, there wasn't a dang thing I could have done about it.

Again, as I indicated previously...so what? Are you stating one should just sit back, do absolutely nothing, and wait for random chance to strike? If so, well, nothing more need to be said, and we can dismiss any further thoughts you have on the matter as bordering on fantasy (well, not really bordering, pretty much firmly in that realm), but if not, then....so what? What conclusions does that lead you to make? THAT is what I pointed out in my post makes even discussing this essentially irrelevant. You are stating that luck happens. Well, yes it does! And the sky is blue, grass is green, down is down and up is up, and any number of other completely irrelevant facts could also be mentioned. But they also don't add a single thing to the discussion. So, clearly, regardless of whether you really do believe one should just sit there and wait for luck to occur or not...it is STILL irrelevant.

Allow me to elaborate, based on the article you posted:

This is true. But, as I have been saying, should one try, as best they can, to manage those steps, or should one just sit at home, waiting for luck to happen by?

Why...the very article YOU cited provides the answer!

followed immediately by...

Well, gosh darn it. there is YOUR article pointing out the very things you were chortling at. Imagine that!

Further, right after that...

Which, hey, is just what I said:

Why is it irrelevant? Because it can't be controlled, and is therefore a spurious input. What does matter is the things one can control and manipulate to better achieve whatever it is they are trying to achieve. Which YOUR article also states.

So, your own article reiterates what I said (and you took such umbrage to), and refutes you. Interesting choice...but certainly agree that science does indeed provide some valuable insight here. thank you for sharing!

Good for you! I do so hope your slick internet burns are a lot better than what you are bringing here, although you are proving some of your own point, I will grant you that. Perhaps if you followed the closing advice of your article:

Now, if your broader point (taking a leap, and assuming you might actually have one) is around some of the other points in the article, around things like education, you and I might actually agree, and could certainly have a good discussion around.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

tl;dr, though I did see the term "blowhard" in there, which I found amusing.

5. TheresTheDagger

Translation:

I got my ass kicked and am using a 1 liner to try to deflect. Poor Sam.