1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think losing Josh Smith is a GOOD thing for this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Aug 28, 2015.

1. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Glad we got rid of Smith, or the fact that we didn't sign him. The dude was a TO waiting to happen.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jones was bumped for Smith who played well on offense and had some great defensive stops on Griffin.

But I mistakenly was giving Smith credit for Ariza's defense. It's hard to remember sometimes - I am getting old you know. I dont' have much confidence in Jones as a player especially in the playoffs.

PF is a weakness, losing Smith - who seems to step up his game in the playoffs, will hurt us.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Given both our PF may be getting max extension. I hope PF is not a weakness.

4. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Smith was lazy on defense, bad help defender and was basically just a shot blocker like TJ. The difference is maybe some weight but TJ is a better perimeter defender than Josh so I'm not worried. It's not like every position needs to be great to win a championship.

5. malakas

malakas Member

I don't mind losing Smith but he is much more than a shot blocker.
    He is a playmaking forward. (8.3% playmaking usage - DMO : 6.2 TJ 3.8 .Pat Bev : 10.4-LOL-. He was top 5 among bigs ) and one of the best rim protecting pfs who saved 7.25 pnts per 36 (DMO 5.93 ) and contested 51.4% at the rim while DMO 44.3%).

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wish we grabbed Scola...

7. hakeemthagreat

Lmao. Dudes critical of Smith forget how bad Jones was. T.Jones played like a deer in headlights most the playoffs and it was the same last year. DMo's inability to play against more physical players is also a concern being the game gets very physical in the postseason. Regardless of all the negatives he literally saved our playoff season. I hope T.Jones took something from watching Smith replace him in starting lineup

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's a flat out lie. Jones is one of the worst team defenders on the team. He gets lost on defense all the time. Smith was at least smart on defense. Jones has been a moron on it.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Shockingly incorrect post.

10. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I think it's safe to say many of us aren't impressed by any of these guys. Smith was deficient and reckless (though with bouts of brilliance) and wasn't going to unlearn his bad traits/habits. Jones is flat-out painful to watch much of the time (clumsy, confused, tentative) and couldn't create a fart if he tried. I'm betting on Motiejunas to earn the starts, but maybe that's just because it's been so long since I've seen him on the court displaying his liabilities. This whole position reeks of Morey hunting for a trade.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That we shall see post on the first page sums it up. We eliminated a playmaker. Yes that playmaker was not a great shooter, but he wasn't that far off. So... what can you say but we shall see. It seems you can never have too many playmakers as they are inherently unselfish with the ball.

12. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

WHAT???

Never forget that Josh Smith's salary is $2 million.
    It's stupid to think it's good to lose Josh with $2 million per season.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It is a good price, but what do you do when you have 3 PFs all wanting minutes and all with a contract that expires at the end of that season. Two million a year is for the short term.

14. PJ86

PJ86 Member

I disagree, sure TJ is bad at it but that really seems to be because he doesn't get it. Josh dpes, but was too lazy most times to play good smart defense.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is a team's obligation to fill that hole that a former contributor left it with

Even more so if that team is a serious championship team and many teams have done it before the Rockets

It can be done

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Agreed.

Not only will the rockets not miss what he brought as long as our guys stay healthy, but I think josh could potentially hurt the clippers.

17. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Him personally almost/did injured Dwight slightly in the playoffs, so Morey showed him the door and to get his dumbass off the team

I honestly liked smith whenever he was hot. I found myself defending him to friends often though. Idk how many passes I saw him throw out of bounds because he ASSUMED a teammate was in a certain spot on the 3

If you take a r****ded Ty(playmaking) + r****ded McDaniels(athleticism) + a r****ded Dwight(defense) + Jeremy lin(he's already bball r****ded) you have yourself a josh smith

I'll trade smith for Ty/McDaniels/Thornton/Harrell any day

18. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Wait.. you'd trade Ty Lawson and then some for Josh Smith?

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

At the very least Josh Smith would have been some great insurance in the event out power forwards got injured. To say that we won't miss him or need him on this current squad is just plain silly, specially at the price.

20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

300% agreement with everything you stated...

T_Man