1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think losing Josh Smith is a GOOD thing for this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Aug 28, 2015.

1. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I would have loved Lawson Smith Howard Harden and Ariza on the floor. Not that I'd start Smith over DMo but from my understanding it wasn't smith OR Lawson. Could've had both.

2. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Im just so glad cause Dmo and TJ are both now so much better than Joshua Smith. Dont let a nickel hold up 2 dollars.

3. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Agreed.

JSmoove stepped in and did a good job most of the time. Sometimes he did a bad job and sometimes he did a great job.

I am hoping the TJones and DMo combo, regardless of which one is the starter, will be more consistent.

4. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

i'll miss his defense on dirk

5. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

DMo to Dwight at 3:05 mark

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-JrmjdOPuWc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Like I said before, when talking about Josh Smith, no one should even talk about Lawson or DMo as if there was a tradeoff. We should have had all three.

Has anyone thought that a legit point guard might relieve Josh of having to go out of his way to make plays? Dude was playing with PG's who were slower than my Grandpa.

The real question is Josh Smith vs. TJones. Somebody explain how TJones is better. Smith is a MUCH better defender and three point shooter. Rebounding is probably a wash. Those are the big things I look at for that position for us.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Doc on Josh Smith: &quot;When we get to playoffs, he can't make four threes against us because he's on our team.&quot;</p>&mdash; Melissa Rohlin (@melissarohlin) <a href="https://twitter.com/melissarohlin/status/647478918094544896">September 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. bmd

bmd Member

He chose to leave.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we had kept Josh Smith. He's the only guy who can defend Blake Griffin or LMA on this team.

10. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

that's a defeatist approach to life...

11. bmd

bmd Member

He could be great if he could learn to take better shots and have an even more reduced role.

I don't think he'd be willing to do that.

When he was hitting shots he was great. But when he was off, he was very frustrating because he would keep chucking.

12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

But he can still miss four 3's for you and throw a few turnovers in there. Gotta take the bad with the good doc.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

We won't miss him unless Jones or Dmo goes down and Morey can't grab an actual NBA rotation PF to plug the dam.

14. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

... neither of those guys will win any durability awards.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

16. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I might buy that. Losing him to the Clippers is not

17. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

The clips are going to get torn up via the hack-a-______(Smith or Jordan).
    I'm ready to destroy those punks again this season. Their logo looks stupid too

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All I know is that in the playoffs Terrence Jones got bumped for Josh Smith - that's because Smith was the only one that stopped Blake in the post.

McHale putting Ariza on Blake was brilliant to disrupt his passing game, but interior it's Smith who has the body to give Blake trouble.

Smith is more valuable to the Clippers than to us in the regular season. But in the playoffs he is more valuable to us than the Clippers.

#78 Sweet Lou 4 2, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  19. bmd

bmd Member

Blake Griffin averaged 27.0 pts, 12.3 reb, 5.0 assists, on 56% FG% for the series against the Rockets.

In the last game he had 27 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists, on 57% FG%.

Nobody was stopping him.

20. bmd

bmd Member

I was trying to figure out why your post didn't say anything about Smith stopping Griffin "especially in the last game". I could have sworn I saw you say that.

I went back and realized you edited your quote. This is the quote I was responding to: