1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think Carmelo Anthony is likely to end up with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 29, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pointing out to you 2 poor defenders who were on that team and you are defending them with team stats.....I hope you understand why that's flawed. In many ways Gordon was a worse defender than Ryan Anderson last season, there's simply no argument for him being a plus defender....but you'll ignore it because he was good on offense. That's my point with Melo, he's not a good defender, but if put in a position to succeed he can be a plus offensive player which is something the team didn't have enough of last season when it mattered.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You could have been describing Josh Smith before the Rockets picked him up and yet he was one of the reasons why the Rockets got past the Clippers in the playoffs that season he was here.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

exactly where your problem lies. you think gordon is a poor defender. that is your false belief. not anyone elses

Reeko and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, I mean, it's not just what I think, it's what the numbers suggest too. I doubt you'd be able to point to anything supporting your position other than your subjective eye test.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I think Melo will decide to play with us over Lebron. We have a open starting spot for him.

Paul and Harden will know how to handle him. We need scorers.

DonKnock and Tfor3 like this.
  6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Isn't this the same mantra that is being said about Demarcus Cousins yet he was a acquired by the Warriors... lol y'all gon learn. Hot heads under great leaders with winning minded organizations get the best out of it's skilled players. I've seen bulls and Jordan get it out of Rodman and Detriot and Billups get it out of Rasheed Wallace and Warriors will get Cousins to fall in line so if Rockets got Melo i would not be surprised with CP3 leading Melo into his role of success with our group of guys... that's just how it goes.

DonKnock and Tfor3 like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

further confirmation talking about defense on this board can be comical.

yeah a guy who at one point led the league in defensive win shares this past year is poor defensively.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL what? Eric Gordon had a career high 1.8 win shares this year....Ryan Anderson had 1.7 in 400 fewer minutes....tell me again what you are basing your opinion on?

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

10. maw7079_2000

maw7079_2000 Member

I took the time to log in from lurking to point out that this is NOT a true statement.

YOLO likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'm not sure what you think you are showing me here but this metric has Damian Lillard ranked as the 15th best....so yeah, you'll have to excuse me if I don't put much stock in this random ass metric.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fine, then defend that statement, don't just make it.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh ok. yeah of course it doesn't apply since it doesnt support your narrative. you claim gordon isn't a plus defender. then claim theres no support that he is. when something is put infront of you, a poster with an agenda will typically find a way to disregard it. way to stick to the script. feel free to come back when something of value comes up. ive already done enough here. on to the next

14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Run it back, but be mellow about it.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If Gordon's defense was so good he would be on the level of a primed D.Wade man Gordon is good but man... cmon!

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not that it doesn't support my narrative, it's that the results make no sense. If you want to make the claim that your metric matters, it can't have one of the worst defenders in the NBA listed in the top 15.....wouldn't you agree?

I mean if you looked at pretty much any other defensive metric he looks terrible.....because he's not a good defender.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think the eye test and generally accepted fact is that Gordon is a decent defender.

The NBA is a terrible league to look at stats and try to determine defensive abilities. We would have to have a video argument.

[Edit: I guess I mean on-ball defender. He is awful at boxing out and ball-watching (or was in the Warriors series). He loses focus.]

#277 napalm06, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Metrics for defense are flawed anyways. Gordon is a good defender. At the very least, he's a much better defender than Melo. And a better offensive player to boot.

Reeko likes this.
  19. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Eric Gordon isn't a great defender, but he isn't an awful defender either.

He isn't losing us a ton of games by trash defense, he's actually had big defensive moments in key situations if anything.

The point I'm making is that he is at least competitive on the defensive end. You have to be ok with that as a 6th man and substitute starter, considering his offensive capability.

When Eric Gordon is in the game. You aren't seeing opponents change their whole offense for that defensive mismatch. On the other hand, you take a player with inept defensive ability you'll see that. Such as when Rhino is in the game, many times you'll see the opposing team gun for that mismatch.

Awful defense? That is Rhino. His opponents can work him, he has such slow lateral movement. We've lost many times due to shoddy defense. There are players who play worse defense in the league, I'm not saying Rhino is the worst ever, but he is bad enough where it seriously impacts the game. Gordon, not so much. Rhino isn't a player you can see clocking major minutes on a championship team, Gordon is a player you can.

Carmelo is in between a Rhino and a Gordon. He has a big enough body and enough lateral movement that if he really tried, in our system, he could be a very very playable player.

#279 Realjad, Jul 4, 2018
    DonKnock, HP3 and jch1911 like this.
  20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Perfect example of what Melo would do with us that none of our small forwards could do.

#280 Cstyle42, Jul 4, 2018
    Tfor3 and Fulgore like this.