1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Spoke with Yao for 5 minutes 2 Fridays ago

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gladiator, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Gladiator

Gladiator Contributing Member

OK heres what happened. Went to the T-Wolves game on Thursday, November 11th. As you may recall, we lost the game in large part because of a crappy foul call on Jim Jackson in the last seconds of the game.
    Flash forward to Friday... I get out of classes at U of H and head to work at Best Buy. I got there at 3:00 and started doing some stuff in the Home Theater department. Then a shadow was cast... I glance up and see Yao standing next to me looking at some X-box games. He was soooo freaking huge... you can't even imagine how big he is until you are that close to him... he completely dwarfed me! When you are 6' 3'' like I am, that does not happen often.
    Then I remembered that I had my ticket stub in my wallet from the night before. So I grab a pen and approach Yao for an autograph. Oddly enough, only one other customer asked him for an autograph. Everyone else was just standing there, staring at him in amazement.
    I walk up to him tell him I'd be honored to have his autograph. We talked about the T-Wolves game for a little bit too. The most interesting thing he said was "it was a bad call, but it's just one game out of 82... we'll get em' next time." During our conversation, he spoke perfect English. I commented at this and he said he pretends to struggle with his English b/c the media would request tons of interviews if they knew how good his english was.
    Just thought you clutch fans would like to know...

2. brasss

brasss Member

cool encounter if its real. wheres the pix? hahaha

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. They do have cameras at Best Buy. :rolleyes: :D

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

What best buy was it?

5. clove

clove Contributing Member

This encounter just proves that Yao is not happy in Houston.

Would a happy Yao go to best buy by himself on a friday?

We must trade him to LA now.

6. JJ

JJ Member

Gladiator to all:

Are you not entertained? Are you not enter-tained?

Is this not why you are here?

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

didja hear about the happy Roman??

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

lol! Nice!

9. winwook

winwook Member

Are you sure it was Yao Ming and not some other 7'6" Chinese guy? Maybe it was just some dude who looked like Yao and likes to leech off his celebrity. The real Yao Ming would send his minions to the Best Buy to pick up XBox games.

10. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

:D :D :D go get my games, motherf#$ker........I'M YAO MING, b****

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

In other breaking news, I saw Walt Williams at the Best Buy on Gessner like 5 years ago.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Good stuff. Always good to hear they are REAL PEOPLE buying [se]xBox games like the rest of us...

Dude, put a smiley in there if you are joking... or at least a "jk"... or do you want to start your own thread? We can discuss it... :D

13. parlaynhustle

parlaynhustle Contributing Member

if u wanna get yaos autograph just go to a barber shop called image on bellaire..he gets his hair cut there...we leave stuff with the owner to get signed for us...but we know the owner his name is anthony..he'll hook u up wit a tight fade too...lol

14. SlizardOO

SlizardOO Member

that's where I got my first fade some 6 years ago :)

15. brasss

brasss Member

How much is a haircut there? is Yao a big haircut tipper? haha

16. SunsRocketsfan

cool story but PROVE it. scan your ticket with yaos autograph and then i'll believe you

17. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

It would take him another 2 weeks:)

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

geez what's up with all you idiots asking for proof? He told a story. Take it at face value. What, he's going to make up a story about talking to Yao for *gasp* 5 minutes to..impress everyone on the board? "Oh please please I'll do anything to have everyone I've never met think I'm kinda cool sorta"

19. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

for all the noobs out there... asking for proof is also called "The rockHEAD Rule" --- if no pictures were taken, then it didn't happen.

By having pictures, you discourage posts that question your validity. Most of the time when folks meet Rockets or other players, without pictures, they just keep the story to themselves to avoid a rash of posts asking for pics.

:D :cool:

#19 rockHEAD, Nov 23, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

actually.....that has happened...numerous times.

Around here..we have (or used to have) higher standards than alot of other boards...

even rockHEAD(who has been a long respected poster) would not have been believed about his encounter with Dream if he hadnt posted pictures.

hence, the "rockHEAD Rule"

Its just a fact of life on this board....you wanna post fiction...do it elsewhere...you got facts? then porve it! :p

know your history before jumping on ppl for expecting posters to follow the standard procedure of the board when it comes to player sightings.