1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I smell a rat - Tristan Thompson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Jul 10, 2015.

1. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

His spin moves are only a part of his game. You get the ball in his hands and you have two choices: let him get a look at the basket or double. Since he is so adept around the rim, I do forsee many teams trying to get the ball out of his hands once he has it on the block. This is where the offense gets going: DMO is so rare that a guy that big has the combined smarts and athleticism to make the right pass out of the double. Once the correct pass is made, it puts the defense in a tough spot now that they have completely left one player wide open. It's basically the same logic as Harden, just starting near the basket instead of on the perimeter.

2. Oracle

Oracle Member

I think this is the heart of the issue. Especially when Kevin Love signed a long term contract. Even Cleveland can't survive that kind of salary.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We don't need Tristan Thompson because we already have Alan Williams!

4. Oracle

Oracle Member

He is an excellent offensive rebounder, but he is not that tall (6'9'', unless he has grown lately). He has a quality though that is also worth money. I haven't checked it, but I think he has never missed a game yet. That is worth money in the injury prone NBA of today.

5. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Part of me wonders if the Cavs plan on going "all in" this year (again), but next year dealing Kevin Love to a different team.

Why did Kevin Love resign if he's so unhappy there (from all the reports at least)?

Cavs could deal him for a boatload of young assets to keep that team going for years to come.

6. OpenLayup-Why3?

:D What the hell are you talking about? Love is no longer in Minnessotta and thus he's not complaining about anything no more. Cavs already traded their youth for Kevin Love, why are you saying they should trade Kevin Love for youth? Are you an alien trying to infiltrate?

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Breaking: agent Rich Paul tells <a href="https://twitter.com/Sportsnet">@Sportsnet</a> Tristan Thompson will sign 1yr Qualifying offer with Cavs and be a free agent in 2016 /1.</p>&mdash; Michael Grange (@michaelgrange) <a href="https://twitter.com/michaelgrange/status/630814427403517952">August 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He average 10-11 rebounds in the playoffs and he wants a max? The cavs should go get asik.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Could be posturing so they pay him. But I hope it's true. It's good for us. One more pf in the market and this one will be ufa.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;All I know is TT on Qualifying Offer will be his last year with the Cavs&quot; -- Rich Paul on Tristan Thompson negotiations.</p>&mdash; Michael Grange (@michaelgrange) <a href="https://twitter.com/michaelgrange/status/630818119569776640">August 10, 2015</a></blockquote>

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">To clarify earlier tweet: Thompson negotiations are on-going BUT -- if he has to settle for QO offer, he will not return to Cavs in 16-17</p>&mdash; Michael Grange (@michaelgrange) <a href="https://twitter.com/michaelgrange/status/630819111732400128">August 10, 2015</a></blockquote>

12. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Smells like rat.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is very good for the Cavs. Best thing that could happen for them and possibly for TT.

He should play his heart out this season, maybe help the Cavs win a championship and get paid big-time next summer.

I sense a win-win.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, but what if they don't win the title this year? LeBron is also a free agent next summer. He won't be too pleased if Thompson bolts to another team.

15. malakas

malakas Member

aha so to clarify rich paul just dropped his last card on the table and tries to blackmail them. So nothing definite yet just a threat.
    This should at least scare a few teams into extending their players fast. MKG Valanciunas Ross ?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Rokman

Rokman Member

Sign and trade Thompson for Jones straight up.

18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Yeah. And that Olajuwon. All he did was Dream Shakes....

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Everybody, just a month and half ago was talking about how Love would look to sign elsewhere. I just want to know the contract details of what the Cavs did to keep Love... It was a perfect opportunity for Morey to go all in and that means parting ways with the likes of Dmo and Capela... I dunno

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't believe for one minute LeBron would leave the Cavs because they didn't sign TT long term.