1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I saw Patrick Ewing at the Summer Pro League today!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Jul 7, 2003.

1. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I went to the Summer Pro League this afternoon to watch the Lakers play against the Canadian National team. Pretty interesting game and alot of b-ball stars and b-ball execs were attendees.

People like Mitch Kupchak, AC Green, Kurt Rambis, Richard Jefferson and Patrick Ewing.

Patrick looked like a nice guy but was ridiculously out of shape. Wore some tacky glow in the dark green outfit as well.

Anyways, he sat about 3 rows in front of me and I had a chance to chat with him during half time. I congratulated him on becoming an assistant coach and told him how excited we are of his addition. We chatted for about 5 minutes and here are some highlights of the conversation:

1. I asked him about our PF situation.

He said that we need a physical power foward to play aside Yao. He praised Charles Oakley and how much Oaktree helped out Ewing. It enabled him to go for blocks knowing that there is someone behind him to clean up the boards.

2. I asked we will see Yao shoot more jumpers ala Ewing

He said that Yao has a great touch and as the teams offensive structure improves, Yao will get more of those opportunities.

3. I jokingly asked him who is the better shooter between the two

He redirected the question back at me. I told him that he was so that he would be pleased.

4. I asked him about possible trades

He didnt answer my question but he said that the Lakers are going to be tough next year. He said that Karl Malone was in LA this weekend

Sorry but no pics.. All in all, he seemed like a reasonably nice guy. Strangely enough, Richard Jefferson has a mob around him and Ewing was pretty much left alone..

I will try to go to the Rox game later this week and will update you guys then..

BTW, Pargo of the Lakers looked amazing!!!! He may be a good backup for us to look into..

2. CRC

CRC Member

You actually get to chat with him for 5 mins... good on you!
    Did you just approached him & introduced yourself?

3. YoYao

YoYao Member

did u ask him what is a good strip club in LA?

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hey, there's an original joke that hasn't been posted on the bbs before!

5. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Thanks for the comments. Look forward to the game reports this week.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A physical power forward to go along with Yao. Yup, true dat. Hopefully this will come true.

I believe the perfect power forward would be Kurt Thomas, but I don't know what it would take to get him (he's mentioned as being available but at what price?)

I'd also take Brian Grant (the perfect PF for this team) but I think the team has balked at his contract.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

It's good to see you made it home alive after your close call with Ewing and the Nostrils. :D

Seriously, it's good to see Patrick didn't mind chatting away with other BBall fans. I wasn't a fan of his while he was a Knick, but now I gotta back the big guy 100%.

8. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

When is the report coming out?When does the summer league start?What is the schedual for the Rockets roster?

ALA

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

You are my hero for the week, please continue to keep us posted.
    Great stuff!

10. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Did he have an good Gaunja?

11. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Thank you so much for the information.

We are all looking forward to Rocket's Summer League report that is forthcoming.

Again, thank you for the info, and thanks in advance for the report.

12. gsd99rhc

gsd99rhc Member

That was a worthwhile post.

(sarcasm intended )

13. daaum

daaum Member

we are not tryin to get the knicks team at all.. we already hav there coach with the acciastants...and now kurt thomas..plese dont bring in knicks to houston..lets hope we someone else in ANOTHER TEAM...:D

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hey don't hate. I always appreciate a good joke in reference to the Gold Club scandal.

15. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

KURT THOMAS?

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm confused.

Anyway, I'm a pleasantly surprised that Pat would take the time to chat with any of us simpletons for that long. Maybe he ain't such a bad guy after all.. :)

hikanoo, thanks for the info. Can you take a digital camera to the Rockets game? :D

17. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I wanted us to pick him up as an undrafted free agent last year, as an Arkansas basketball fan I watched him play quite a bit in college and the kid is a player. He's a little on the small side but he can shoot the rock. He was decent coming off the bench in limited minutes for the Lakers last year, I assume they'd want to hold on to him though.

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

hikanoo49. Paging hikanoo49.

Please report to the insider thread immediately. You have not registered those comments at the insider desk.:D

19. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Even if the Lakers sign GP I would expect them to hold on to Pargo. They showed a lot of confidence in him by playing him in meaningful minutes during the playoffs and I wouldn't be surprised if he took over for Derek Fisher. All the kid needs to work on to be a solid NBA backup is his defense.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Bill Walton: "Phil Jackson needs to realize that this is the playoffs. They can't expect to win with Jannero Pargo in the game."