1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I saw a drunken Van Chancellor tonight!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by s land balla, Jul 15, 2006.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

So I was in the Rush & Division area of downtown Chicago tonight and at about 12:00am I see Van Chancellor with his wife (I think) cross my path.

I wasn't sure if it was him at first. He walked right past me and crossed the street in the opposite direction of where we were.

Me and a few friends (who aren't from Texas and have no clue who Van Chancellor is) started yelling "VAN CHANCELLOR, WE LOVE THE COMETS!" loudly across the street and he turned around and walked all the way back to the other side of the street to shake our hands! He thanked us for saying hello about a dozen times and seemed like a really cool guy - he was obviously drunk haha. He asked us where all the good bars were and even pointed to Big Bowl, a local Chicago Asian Restaurant, asking us if it was a cool place to hang out! We told him it was just a chain restaurant and pointed him and his wife in the direction of all the bars.

My friend DID take a picture of us with him...I'll try to post it tomorrow!

2. MONON

MONON Member

Wouldn't be hard to recognise that voice in the windy city!!! :eek:

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe when he is drunk you can actually understand what he says.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

In Van's defense, he may have been celebrating being voted WNBA Coach Of The Decade! Plus, I see him a lot playing golf when he is obviously not drunk, yet, and he still sorta looks drunk ;) But what I have never seen him do his diss a fan who wanted their minute with him.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Do you realize a simple pic would elevate this to "Whole Foods" status? Actually... You would be far beyond that.

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

was his wife hot? what was she wearing :D

7. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Hey I liked Chancellor on the Rockets games. I'm sure it's not a popular opinion, but he would call out which play the Rockets were about to run almost everytime on an out of bounds play and was right very often. Point is, he knows his stuff.

At the games, he would walk around, talkinig with folks, throwing candy to kids. He was personable, humble, just all around a cool guy.

His success at the Comets is no accident.

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Van Chancellor?

Dude sounds like a hotel.

9. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

haha...does anybody NOT have a drunk VC story??

my sighting was at the poker tables in Isle of Capri, Lake Charles about 3 years back.

10. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

My parents go to the same church as Van. They tell me he's one of the nicest guys they've ever met.

It took a while for me to warm up to him as an announcer, but after I got used to him, I thought he was awesome. Oh well, hopefully Barry can bring some comic relief along with good insight this season.

And, for some reason, my parents have a Van Chancellor Bobble-head... I'm going to ask them where they got it.

11. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

You know you want it. Don't be coy.

12. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

Sorry, Barry wont be back this season.

13. Ryan Bowen MVP

Great story, he sounds like a real nice guy