1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I ran into my Boss' car tonight......

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drewdog, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Christ..... and its not a Chevy S-10 pickup...... Of course its a freakin Saab 9.5 whatever...... Im sure those bumpers arent expensive....... :( The wierd thing is he said: "Well I will have to call my insurance company because I know I will want to get that fixed." What the hell does that mean? Doesnt he need to call my insurance co.? And I was going maybe 2 mph. Isn't a 5 mph bumber supposed to take that kind of impact?

Merry freakin' Christmas to me...... Goodbye PS2, hello Saab 9.5 bumper.....

To top it off. I found out today that I have to work Christmas Eve!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Venting is over.

2. Gascon

Gascon Member

The question that really pops to mind is, "how the heck did you manage to run into another vehicle going 2mph?"

Just curious.

3. Drewdog

Its difficult to explain. I was parked in the space next to the building and close to a door. He parked next to the building by the door not in a parking space directly behind me. My dumb ass wasnt looking, plus it was raining a bit and dark.... slammed right into him. But he was the moron who didnt park in our REGULAR parking spaces

4. Gascon

Gascon Member

Now that's interesting....

Who would be at fault, I wonder?

Of course, I don't suppose you'd want to dispute it with your boss.....

5. Drewdog

Correct :D I think I am going to let him handle it, but possibly make the suggestion of not getting insurance agencies involved and just paying for it out-right,....... Hell the car is brand new so he might be able to lie and tell them someone hit him and ran.... But I dont think I am going to ask him that :D

6. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Oh boy you better hope your boss aint a member on this bbs. :eek: :D

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I think you will be mopping floors over X-Mas.

:D

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

If you were parked in the right place for employee parking and he wasn't, I'd say something to him about it because it has nothing to do with your job. See if you guys can come to some sort of agreement. If you can't, just go through your insurance co. I doubt something of that magnitude would increase your rates, unless you suck as a driver and have a number of accidents.

9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Silence is your friend. Let him make the first move. Its possible he'll absorb it. If he does decide to go to his insurance company , and they want to make you pay, you can always make the suggestion to pay for it yourself when he asks for your insurance info.

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Does he park there often?

He shouldn't park in a non-space anyhow, so you could do this: put in a call to security or whomever you'd go to and note that this is a violation and it should be towed -- I'd bet he doesn't park there again! :)

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I believe that if you hit someone in a parking lot then you are not legally responsible for damages.

12. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

That can't be true. The laws may be more lenient for damage in parking lots but negligence is always punishable no matter where it happens. If I peel through a parking lot at 80 mph and total a car you bet your behind that I'm going to be liable for the damages. Now the parking lot owner will probably get off scot-free (and that may be what you're thinking of) but I can guarentee you there's no blanket "get out of jail free" card you can use for parking lot damage...

13. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Ouch. Running into your bosses car sure must stink. What are the odds that you'll get in an accident, by your office, and it being your bosses car? They aren't too high. You were very unlucky.

14. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Just for the record:

1. Parking lot accidents are usually considered “private property” accident claims and as such, the police rarely if ever assign “blame” to the event. Because that is so, insurance companies usually get together and decide who, if anyone, was at fault and the blame is consensually assigned. In addition, your statement to your boss may serve as you accepting the responsibility, and therefore the insurance companies very, very quickly settle and write a check.

2. When an insurance company is notified and a claims adjuster is assigned to assess damages, you have pretty well expended your opportunity to handle the cost between the two drivers. Not always, but most frequently his insurance company will contact yours and the first you may here of it is after the check has been written, cashed and you get the notification from your company - telling you it was your fault and it has been settled.

3. Even when settling outside the insurance companies, make sure you have a well written statement by the other guy absolving you of any further responsibilities and a waiver (quit claim) for any further discourse. Have it witnessed or better yet notarized.

4. The cost of replace a Saab bumper will be about $800.00 to $1000.00 .

5. The cost of a first accident in a three year period frequently about 10-12.5% increase (there is a wide margin among companies and some conditions attached including them NOT charging for the first accident). Never equate that figure to the cost of the bumper. If you pay a thousand dollars a year, that’s another $100 to $125 a year for three years. However, if you have another accident or a moving violation in that same period some (actually many, many) companies make you pay as much as 25% to 45% higher premium for the NEXT three years. (The companies that do not charge for the first accident frequently have a much higher surcharge on the second event.) Now we are talking about $1100 ( or $1250) X 25 to 45% for the life of the second occurrence. 1100 + $275 (to $495) = $1375 to $1595 for the next three years. (Don’t ask what would happen if you have a third occurance within that three year period!!!!)

15. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Just eliminate the source of the problem......simply firebomb the Saab(without him in it of course.....unless you really hate him).