1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I met a real jerk tonight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobrek, Aug 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

1. Call the police.
    2. Call your homeowner's association.
    3. Document everything.
    4. Noise pollution.

Here are some real-life examples of common neighbor disputes that readers posted on Prairielaw.com message boards, with some solutions:

I own my home and have very noisy neighbors, who party day in and day out. I have spoken to their landlord about this problem, and nothing seems to work. I have called the cops several times about the noise, the loud parties, the loud music, etc. I am wondering if the landlord is responsible for his tenants and what I can do about this situation?

If talking to the tenants and the landlord doesn't work, try talking to other neighbors and find out if they feel the same way. The more complaints the landlord gets, the more likely he or she will do something about it.

Almost every city and town has local noise ordinances that the police are responsible for enforcing. Find out about the law in your area. If it's an ongoing problem, which it sounds like it is, you should consider contacting a local mediation center or homeowners' association if one is available. Often these services are either inexpensive or free. Many are listed on the Web, or a nearby court can refer you to one.

"Noise is one of the most common neighbor problems," says Barbara Covell from the Mediation Center in Chico, Calif., "but it's not always worth fighting about. It's much more beneficial to preserve the relationship."

Covell says her organization has an 80 percent success rate, but both parties must voluntarily agree to participate in the mediation process. The 20 percent who can't solve their differences usually end up in court.

The resident can also go to small claims court and sue as a last resort. He or she must prove that the noise is indeed a disturbance and caused by the neighbor. This might require police reports or an actual recording of the noise. That person must also prove that he or she tried to resolve the problem outside of court, with evidence such as letters written to the neighbor.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly
    You should have took down his license plate
    and sent in a message to the Cops

DROP A DIME ON HIM

If more people 'ratted' out the bad folx
    would not be so many bad folx

I doubt the Cops would have done much
    but at least it is on file somewhere or something

Rocket River