1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I love this type of offense, too bad I can not see it in Rox...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roxfan123, Jan 8, 2007.

1. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

that pass

Dynamic, fun to watch. Unlike Rox games, you'd know what you gonna see half an hour before the game (well, for most of the time). I mean you hardly see fastbreaks, suprising offense executions from Rockets, guess having Yao you must have some kind of trade off... Other than Yao's slow steps, I wonder if there are anything else hindering a up-tempo offense?

2. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Rafer Alston could make "That Pass!" any day...but he'd still get flamed around here for being too "And1", thus causing Chris Bosh to miss the dunk. And the score would be 95 to 80-something, so Van Gundy would hear it about his down-tempo offense.

I know Bargnani has skills, but how's he been putting them to use so far? Is he going to be worth the #1 in the end?

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

did you forget Rafer's pass in one of the earlier games of the season (that Hayes couldn't finish), that was a lot sicker than that pass.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yeah, I wish the Rockets were 4 games under .500 like the Raptors are. I also wish they played defense as bad as the Raptors...

5. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

I remember that one. The pass is sick but I appreciate the speed in the youtobe clip more. Highly mobile. The pass from Alston was fancy too but it was under no pressure.

6. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

what's with the sarc...? I just feel if Rox can come up with some more exciting offense, that would be nice. This play from Raptors happened to be one of the rare clips I run into on Youtobe.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

It was a great pass.

(This post has nothing to do with either Rafer or Van Gundy.)

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't know...why would you want the Rockets to emulate a team that sucks?

BTW, the Rockets and Raptors have the exact same points per 100 possessions, so it looks to me like this "exciting offense" you want doesn't really exist on the Raptors. This play was just a circus pass that's only good for a Sportscenter highlight clip. Most of the time, passes like that are stolen or go out of bounds.

Let's face it, the Rockets are not designed to run and gun, and it's been proven that run and gun teams ultimately fail in the playoffs...

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

V-Span can make that pass....and the Rockets have several players capable of playing that type of awareness game.

Yao
    Tmac
    Hayes
    Battier
    V-Span
    Luther

Yes, they could play a better style of game...next year when JVG is gone I guess.

DD

10. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

yeah i love this type of offense. the rockets should do that play once every game. Maybe in the playoffs too if we make it (assuming we're doing behind the back bounce alleyoops every game, we'd probably, just liek the raptors, not make it).

That, is not a type of offense. That's a great pass from the #1 pick in the draft. One pass does not make their offense "dynamic". If scoring 3 more points in such a dynamic offense than the rockets, while giving up 11 more points than us is what you want, you really need to ask the raptor fans how they feel about themselves.

Nice play from bargani, though.

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I would like to see the Barkley backing it in offense. We don't have the personnel or the rule book to run it though. What we do have is a very good scoring differential. That is because we run a decent offense and a stellar defense, which is the formula for winning consistantly in the NBA. Up-tempo is the formula for getting bounced out of the playoffs every year, if you can make it in.

12. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

So Pheonix is not a contender anyway, right? Even that is true I think Mavs offense is MUCH better than us, their defense is not bad either. Of course I know we beat them badly in the opening, but one game doesn't tell the whole story. Again, I am not targeting specifically to Raptors' game, rather, I am saying I would like to see exciting/better offense from Rox.

13. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

If you watch the clip closely, Chris Paul finished the offense when the clock was at 19. The entire process took 5s, and that is Bargani circling from the right wing to the left----that is not dynamic, you get to be kidding. Fancy pass, and nice offense, should I say.

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Right.
    The Mavs team eFG% is .500. The Rockets team eFG% is .497. Offensively, they are about equal in terms of shooting efficiency. The Mavs do score about 5 more points per 100 possessions, so their offensive prodution is a bit better than ours. On the other hand, the Rockets are better defensively that the Mavs giving up 3 fewer points per 100 possessions and holding teams to a lower FG% (opp eFG% for the Rockets is 0.456, for the Mavs 0.475.) Obviously the Mavs are further above the Rox on offense than the Rox are above them on defense, hence their position atop the standings. That probably has less to do with the coaching or style and more to do with the fact that for much of the season the Rox were missing 1/2 of their top players (first TMac and later Yao).
    I am not targeting any particular game either. I am saying that an exciting offense doesn't improve your chances of winning, it just makes more people enjoy watching the games (because exciting offense appeals more to average/casual fans).

15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Great analysis, but you know the inevitable response will be, "but the rockets offense suck and the other team style is much better!" and not suprisingly it will easily trump your fact based, well reasoned arguments. :D

16. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I would take Rox game over toronto any day!!! all I care about is winning!!! and If you really care about your team then its fun to watch even if its Grizz :D