1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I love Asik, but trading him makes too much sense IF we land Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Jun 23, 2013.

?

If we get Dwight, should we trade Asik?

1. Yes

180 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. No

174 vote(s)
    49.2%
  1. jdjd

jdjd Member

I think the combination of Asik and Howard would probably win us a lot of games in the regular season, but as the op stated the defense would adjust in the playoffs. I don't believe Morey will do anything stupid so i think he'll be patient and wait for the right deal. But I could see him trading him for proven 4 YOUNGER than Garnett.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

The fact is, you're getting confused on a lot of things. Did Miami win 2 rings because they had a big 3? Or is it because their big 3 happened to include Lebron James?

I'm not saying Bosh and Wade are useless garbage and didn't play any part at all at winning a ring, you're pretty much twisting my words here. But the fact is LBJ had to put up historic numbers since he went to Miami, and that's an indictment of the big 3 system itself, because why on earth would you need a guy to score 37 pts and a triple double if your big 3 was effective?

Sure Bosh and Wade played a part, but then again if you ranked the importance of the players, would you rather have Bosh and Wade, or Bosh, Battier, Miller and Birdman? Because essentially that's what you're saying when you have a big 3, F all these role players, my big 3+rooks+dleaguers can win it all.

If you want another example, then let's look at Boston's big 3. When KG, Pierce and Allen got together everyone expected all 3 to carry 99% of the load, but as the season wore on Rondo, Perkins, PJ Brown and Posey all played vital roles and they won a ring. After that though Brown and Posey retired so they lost their cheap bench and Perkins and Rondo grew out their rookie contracts and Boston had to break their team up.

You just can't sustain a big 3 model in the NBA and still contend, not without going ridiculously out of cap. Besides just the raw numbers, the team will always be in a state of flux because other than the 3 guys, the rest will either be vets who will retire in a couple of years or rooks who will grow out of their rookie scale contracts.

3. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong, obviously LeBron makes a huge difference. But Miami did blow up their roster to get their 3. Miller was signed with the MLE. Battier and Birdman are minimum contracts. Ray Allen was a minimum contract. Norris Cole was a draft pick. The only incumbents were Haslem and Chalmers (Chalmers may have been picked that summer, I forget.)

I just think it's silly for you to say that the Big 3 model doesn't work under the new CBA, when a team that blew their roster up to land a Big 3 has won 100% of the time since the new CBA has gone into effect...

4. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Unless Asik develops a reliable mid-range, I don't know where Asik should be offensively when Howard is in the middle of the court or p&r with a ball handler.

5. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

In the high post, running the high screen, because we'd probably be running double screens for our two PnR handlers (Harden/Lin).

Dwight is not that good at running the high screen PnR (or just dislikes doing it), so having him run the low screen w/ Asik up top actually could work out rather well.

6. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Member

If there is anyway we can get Love or Smith, I would not hesitate for a second to trade Asik or even throw in a pick or two. Assume we sign Howard straight

7. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

I don't understand why ppl think Howard even wants to play with Asik. Its all speculation. If I only trusted a few ppl to tell them my thoughts about free agency & news got out, knowing they're the ones that told, they'd no longer be a close friend. Nowhere near my circle.

I'm so tired of reporters saying "people knowledgeable of ***** thinking"

Only ppl I trust know my thoughts... And most of the time they don't even know until I'm ready for everybody to know. Cause when you tell ppl private information, you have to assume everyone's gonna find out.

8. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Can you find a video example of this?

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Unless you want that information to get out.

Dwight can't talk to Morey without it being tampering. However, if he is interested in playing for the Rockets but wants to make sure they don't dump Asik for cap space, getting that out there in the media is a good thing for him to do.

I'm not saying that is what happened, but it is a possibility. Players and their agents and teams leak things all the time to the media to get certain stories out there for all sorts of reasons.

10. GMNot

GMNot Member

11. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Even if we had a 26 year old Asik on that Rockets team when Yao went down, that team still wouldn't have won the championship. I know things that happened in the 1970's might make you want to think differently (Magic playing center and winning while Kareem sat out), but today's game is so competitive and has so much parity that I highly doubt there's a team in this league that can win a championship without their best player.

In other words, if we get Dwight and Dwight gets injured, we're pretty much not winning a championship regardless of whether or not we have Asik. That's just my opinion.

12. Roxlove

Roxlove Member

Cool poll! :cool:

13. langal

langal Contributing Member

Yao AND Deke BOTH went down. Damn team was cursed. Deke was still a monster backup that year.

14. GMNot

GMNot Member

Maybe. But not all injuries are for a whole season and you want to keep winning at a reasonable percentage until your guy recovers. If he recovers in time to make the playoffs and you don't make the playoffs...?

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

So Marreese Speights just opted out. His stats per 36 minutes are really good, and he can play both the 4 and 5.

If we wind up trading Asik + some rookies for another player, and Speights is up for it, should we sign him with the MLE as a bench big?

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

having a 7'0" defensive center out there for the whole game would be huge. dwight wouldn't have to play more than 30mpg with asik playing 18 until the playoffs hit, then would can give dwight 6 more minutes.

i'm also fine with chandler playing the 4 next to dwight. he can stretch the floor and rebound, and would give us a 4th ball handler on the floor.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well the question is even with their big 3 would Miami win a ring without Allen, Battier and Birdman on minimum contracts? Those guys are playing for way below their salary, and honestly we can't count on our team having the same type of quality vets because if you're a vet you'd rather go to Miami with and party with LBJ than to Houston with Harden and DH. During the Laker and Boston big 3 eras it was ok to have a big 3 in place because you could go over the salary cap, nowadays though the lux tax will cost you 3x of what it did before the CBA. Also LBJ, Bosh and Wade all signed for below the max, that didn't happen with Harden, and won't happen with Howard.

I don't think it's silly at all to say the big 3 system doesn't work, you have to look into why Miami won a ring not just that they had a big 3, that would be like saying Darko is better than Webber because he has 2 rings. Considering Wade had been battling knee issues the entire playoffs and Bosh scored 0 pts in game 7 I think we can safely say the big 3 wasn't the biggest reason why LBJ is a back-to-back champion.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Damn good post but I believe keeping both for the 48 minute defensive presence is more important. They do not have to be on the court together at all times, but at least one of them must be on the court at all times.

19. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

at this point i'm not even sure who has a better post game, neither's is very advanced. SO someone better learn to shoot a 15-18 footer

20. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Didn't Dwight say he wants to play with Asik? Also it's good to have Asik backing up Dwight so Dwight could rest his back more, at least for a year or two.