1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I love Asik, but trading him makes too much sense IF we land Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Jun 23, 2013.

?

If we get Dwight, should we trade Asik?

1. Yes

180 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. No

174 vote(s)
    49.2%
  1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm starting to believe that we can get more than Garnett for Asik as well.

Maybe Harden and Parsons subtlely tell Kevin Love to keep on slumping and grumbling so that Minnesota decides to offload him before his contract year.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Asik can be traded for another big that has more range.

3. RedHotRockets01

Can't wait for the draft, lots of changes coming for the NBA IMO. Hope Morey can get er dun!!!

4. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

starting to believe? it is a no brainer....garnett is on his last legs....asik has alot of good years left.

5. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

LMA says hello!!

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I honestly wouldn't really mind a Garnett swap. Would be a beastly frontcourt for a season and his fingerprints last awhile, likely even after he retires. KG is a culture-changing player, and loves McHale.

7. Sanity2disChaos

I forget garnett was drafted by the T.Wolves and Mchale was running the show....I would think they are still in good with one another....im enlightend:grin:

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Asik gives us a solid C to back up Dwight, it's not like Dwight hasn't had injury problems and you still don't know what kind of mental state he's in. Also, let's not forget Dwight likes Asik and I'm pretty sure Dwight & KG are not the best of friends since Garnett is in the same mold as Kobe, probably worse.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Jeremy will be the one gone, not Asik. Not because Lin isn't worth his contract, blah, blah, etc. It's because we need the cap room.

Assuming White and TRob are traded, and Dwight is signed, this is what you can get for Lin's cap room:

-Another ~$60k to sign Dwight to a full max contract.
    -Llull can be signed to a 3 year $12 million contract.
    -Furkan Aldemir can be signed to a 4 year, $5 million contract (similar to Parsons).
    -A 3rd key component can be signed for $3.5 million per year (Dunleavy, Korver, etc.)

Beverley / Llull
    Harden / Dunleavy
    Parsons / Garcia
    Howard / TJones / DMo / Aldemir
    Asik / Howard / Aldemir

That's a lot of return for Lin's contract. Llull, Dunleavy, Parsons, and Garcia give Harden and Howard 4 proven 3 point shooters for kick and pass outs.

10. joesr

joesr Member

I sim'd the whole year for 2k13.....well year 14 after trading away everyone to make room for getting Paul and and Howard and well, we played Heat in the Finals and won :D

So to answer your question, only if it means we are getting Paul.

11. Fullcourt

This only makes sense if you plan to play Howard and Asik together, which I seriously doubt is even being considered.

12. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

SIM the year with Dwight and Millsap, I bet we win over 60 wins.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Yeah, everyone is on board with that, but we'd have to gut our team.

14. pass_to_Hakeem

Yeah trade a hard working Asik who showed up and contributed for a guy (Bosh) who enjoys riding coattails. He could come here a d ride Harden's & Howard's I guess.. We would definitely downgrade in that scenario... IMO

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

trade Asik and sign Oden?

16. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I know it would make OKC incredibly tough, but getting a player like Horford for Asik might be worth it. Horford is young, has a decent mid-range game, can handle the ball for a big, and he can get out and run with the guards.

Assuming Dwight is the healthy Dwight from a few years ago, which starting line-up is scarier? I think I would do it.

Lin/Beverly
    Harden
    Parsons
    Horford
    Howard

Westbrook
    Sefalosha
    Durant
    Ibaka
    Asik

17. Fullcourt

Whether we take a flyer on Oden or not should not be affected by any other move. You sign him with the assumption that he is D-O-N-E DONE.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Asik is more efficient than Garnett, also younger, taller

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I guess that's your opinion, I just see Bosh as a more versatile player than Asik. Asik is the far superior team defender, but Bosh is obviously a natural 4(our biggest need)with range that the Rockets seem to like and has shown the ability to play the 5 that could be used as a backup when Dwight is sitting.

Again not something I'm pursuing hard at, but if Miami lets it be known that Bosh is on the table I think he would be a good fit next to Dwight and has shown he is an excellent 3rd option.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Um here's my 2 cents:

A) Moving Asik would be the wrong move with or without Dwight. First of all EVERYONE's expecting us to move Asik, trading him now would be a "sell low" move. Secondly we don't know how good Asik will become, there's a chance he might reach DH's level, slim but still possible. Most importantly we can't put all our eggs in the Dwight basket, not when we don't know how well he recovers from injury. The dude who keeps saying Howard will play 40 mins is out of his mind, you want your center to only be healthy for 2 years and then start breaking down? :rolleyes: Maybe in the playoffs you can justify DH playing 40 mins a night, but for the entire year you want him to play 35 mins tops. This is what mchale failed to do with Harden last season, and Harden got burned out by the time playoffs arrived.

B) If you're gonna move Asik anyway, don't move him for a 3rd max guy. 3 star systems don't work in the new NBA, you will be forced to have your 3 guys log in 40 mins a game just so the dleague guys you stuffed the rest of the roster with don't lose the game. Trade him for Ryan Anderson+ protected pick. NOLA wants a c so Davis can play PF properly.