1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I love Asik, but trading him makes too much sense IF we land Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Jun 23, 2013.

?

If we get Dwight, should we trade Asik?

1. Yes

180 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. No

174 vote(s)
    49.2%
  1. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Imagine Garnett and Howard comes here without giving up any of our starting player, we would be easily win championship. I hope Howard accepts less pay to allow Garnett to come here to play for his old coach, Kevin McHale.

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Ryan Anderson and Lopez for Dmo and Asik? That could work.

3. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I think Ryan Anderson is a very underrated role player, especially while he was in Orlando playing next to Dwight. I don't see why the Hornets would want a center though, because with a little more muscle I think Anthony Davis will be an even better center than Joakim Noah (and that might be a huge understatement).

4. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Don't think that is possible (unless you are not considering Asik a starter with Dwight signed) under the cap. Rockets wouldn't have the pieces or the room to take on Garnett's contract, no matter what Dwight (realistically) took below the max.

An interesting deal might be if they agree to a trade with the Celtics for the #16 pick for Thomas Robinson, but hold completion of the deal until they know whether they land Dwight. If you don't land Dwight, you do the deal and nothing else with the Celtics. If you land Dwight, you go for Garnett and the deal becomes Asik and Robinson to the Celtics for the #16 and Garnett. The salary works both ways. Perhaps the Celts would want another piece and I would add any of the young PFs if they would make or break the deal. Wouldn't mind getting Fab Melo back, too, but not at the cost of busting the deal.

A starting lineup of Lin, Harden, Parson, Garnett, and Dwight would be very formidable.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Hell no, Asik stays unless you can get freaking Lamarcus Aldridge for him somehow!

6. Little General

Wasn't it always: Defense wins you championships?
    I don't mind Dwight and Asik clogging up the paint if they can stop the opponent from scoring, we thrive in the fast break anyway.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It would be nice to keep him if we were at a more advanced stage of contending. Truth is that while having Asik would be incredible for us, we are much more in need of an upgrade at PF and backup SG/SF.

The owner is willing to spend, but we can't waste 1/3rd of Howard's tenure with the Rockets (he will opt out after year 3) experimenting with two big men who can't shoot outside of 5 feet and are poor free throw shooters. We don't have that luxury. We gave a lot to be where we are, and we need to make every single one of Howard's 3 season our absolute best shot at the title. The time for taking big risks like that is over once we get Howard. It's too big a gamble in the wrong place IMO.

Asik is maybe my favorite player on the team. If we get Howard though, we should trade him, unless Howard makes it a condition. Josh Smith and Paul Millsap are not big scorers and are both elite at defending stretch 4's and big 3's. That's something we desperately need. All a team has to do to render Asik useless is put a Matt Bonner type on the floor, who can succesfully limit Asik's offensive production and negate his defensive abilities. We simply can't take that chance in a league growing more fond of stretch big men, especially with a guy who makes over $8m at a position where we have a superstar.

Greg Smith is a functional backup, and we can sign someone else for the minimum (or use Ohlbrecht if we have any faith in him?). The rest of that money can go towards backup swing man or starting PF.

It would be nice to see a few months into the future because I genuinely feel like one of our PF's can blow up, and that's something which WOULD convince me to keep Asik. However, we can't risk it. There are good PF's and backup SG/SF's on the market, and we have a fantastic asset to acquire them.

I also wonder how Asik would feel about becoming a backup after he essentially left his last team (a contender) to become a starter with us (at that time, a predicted bottom feeder).

#47 Mathloom, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If we do get dwight it would be interesting if it ends up that Miami would consider moving bosh. Maybe some package involving Lin and Asik for bosh and Chalmers. Not sure about Chalmers contract situation or if he could be included in a sign and trade, but I think bosh would fit nicely with Haren and Dwight.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

fixed

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

We can start them together then stagger thier minutes for a lot of the game. Stretch the floor with Dmo, or whoever...

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think we should, or would, trade him unless we are getting an all star level big man back.

12. basketballholic

The Asik for Garnett stuff needs to stop. Trading a top 10 center going into his prime and still improving for an over-the-hill one-year player???? That's r****ded. And it's not going to happen.

1 person likes this.
  13. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

If we can get the Clippers unprotected 1st round pick (in next year's impressive draft) along with Garnett, I think that would be worth considering. That pick could be an injury or two away from Andrew Wiggins.

14. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

only for lma

15. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Millsap + Giannis Adetokunbo + 3 2nd round picks ≥ lma

In my opinion.

16. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

LMA is on the trading block?

Only trade Asik for him.

Howard, Harden, LMA....... That is a complete team!

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think you have to choose one or the other, Asik's value to the team declines significantly if he is not starting.

DD

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Keep them both.

Teams will come crawling for Asik if we have Dwight.

There's no reason to take any offer for him, you can definitely be choosy and take the best available whenever you please.

If the opportunity doesn't arise (not likely) then just keep Asik and keep him in the backup role behind Howard. If we don't end up acquiring a legitimate starting PF then use the twin towers approach.

Definitely no reason to trade him immediately.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Anyone that's been following the Rockets for longer than a minute knows that he will most likely get traded at some point if they somehow land Dwight.

That being said, I dont think they trade him until Feb 2014 at the very earliest if this happens.

The reasons being-

-The high reward/low risk of being able to play both Dwight and Asik together is too high to at least not try for half a season. Its a long shot for either one of them to be able to develop enough at this stage to make it work offensively, but its worth a shot.

-The market for Asik could be much larger at a later time. With several bigs available in free agency this Summer, it might be a better option to look at trading Asik during the season when the need for a proven defensive anchor is larger.

-Part of the draw for getting Howard to sign is having another elite big man to help share the burden with.

-No major financial reasons at this time - The team can go over the luxury tax for the first half of the season, and make moves the second half if they need to get underneath or lessen the amount. 8 mil a year for a backup center sounds expensive, but if you can afford a half season to a full with Asik as your backup, it should be well worth your troubles.

So I see no reason to rush into a trade for Asik if Dwight agrees to sign in Houston in a week. If a player like Love, LMA, Cousins, etc. come available at some then hell yeah Id trade him in a heart beat, but right now there just doesn't seem to be those options available to the Rockets, and the risk/reward for trying out the twin towers option is too high to not try at this point.

At this point, Asik stays.

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think we should def keep asik, unless A stud becomes available like love or Aldridge. 48 minutes of elite defenses is worth more than the upgrade from t.jones/dmo to Ryan Anderson, and Anderson us a perfect fit.

Having both allows us to always be defensively dominate in the post and would help out extremely against the likes of Memphis and clips if they were to land kg.

Besides who's to say that dmo or t.jones won't develop into a ppat and/or Morris type starter for us? With Dwight and/or asik i think the odds are quite high.