1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I know the chances are remote, but Steve Nash should absolutely be Rockets top target

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Totally agree. Stockton retired at age 41... Impressive. Nash does remind me of Stockton... But with less defense. :D

2. choujie

choujie Member

I'd agree with you if you replace Nash's name with Brooks.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, yeah...it's not really saying much to be a better offensive team than the rockets down the stretch. I was referring to how the Suns falter down the stretch and I was suggesting that an inside-out post oriented team would be more successful late in games as defenses tighten up. If Dantoni had developed Amare's back to the basket game more the Suns might have been impossible to stop. Down the stretch, in the half court, i think we'd be much better with Yao in the low post drawing doubles and kicking out to Nash for an open jumper than Nash driving in and dishing it to Yao for a mid range jumpshot.

OK...I wouldn't really consider that Yao fitting in with Nash. Actually, I'd say that's exactly the opposite. Those are things any good PG should do. When you said Yao should fit in with Nash I thought you were implying that we should completely abandon the low post offensive game that Yao is so efficient at. I do disagree with how you feel about this era. Shaq did very well this year at 37, he was probably the 3rd best center...It's hard to imagine him not dominating the league if he was still in his prime.

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

The rockets should say NO to those old, declining players except that they are willing to take minimum salary and to come off the bench!

1 person likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Both of them are floppers as well,but Stockton was a dirty player too.

#85 saleem, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Shaq would dominate the league. Yao is not Shaq, not close. With Shaq, we're talking about the strongest inside force the game has ever seen. We was so good around the basket, he'd have dominated in any era.

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

1) I hate the fact that people always says AB is too small, Based on Yahoo! Sports, Chris Paul (6" and 175lb) and AB (6" and 160lb). If Chris Paul is consider an elite defender, there is no reason that AB cannot play D just because he is small.

2) Nash cant fit with Yao? You got to be kidding me. Yes Nash can play the fast break etc, but his best weapon? The 3p shot. His ball distribution is easily better than Lowry and AB, and its easier for him to cut with the ball. His stats barely drop pre and post Shaq. This refute any claims that he cant play with a dominant post player.

3) Trade for him? Nah. His defense is even worst than AB. He is at 34/35. As a player coming out of the bench, hell yeah. But as a starting PG playing major minutes, no.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The "No to Nash cuz he old" position makes no sense.

The guy shoots 50% from the field, 40% from the arc, 90% from the line, his TS% for the past season was .615-- barely below that of Yao Ming, and he gives you 17 points per 36 minutes, in addition to 10 assists. His team operated at an elite level offensively when he's on the court, and was significantly worse every time he sits.

Nash is more of an IMPACT player than, say, probably 99% of the guys out there on the offensive end. (And by the way, his team isn't really worse defensively when he plays than when he doesn't).

Sure, he's old. But THAT IS THE ONLY REASON THE ROCKETS EVEN HAVE A CHANCE AT GETTING HIM.

Great, say NO to Nash, because we would rather have Chris Paul or Lebron James instead? Yeah. If there is an younger player who can make that kind of impact and is even remotely available, let get him. It just ain't gonna happen.

It's like people complain about Ron Artest's flaws... sure he has them, but if he didn't, he wouldn't have been a Rocket in the first place (not at the price of a couple of low 1st round picks, at least).

9. choujie

choujie Member

Only agreee on 2)

1) AB is no Chris Paul, when was the last time you saw AB got a lot steals? Those are instincts, AB doesn't have that, just like his court vision. CP3's defense is overrated, but he's still much better than AB.

3) Even if Nash is worse defensively, the impact difference between him and AB on offense is much much bigger than the difference on defense. After all, the backbone of this team's defense is Artest, Battier , Yao/Hayes.

think it this way:
    Hayes is a much better defender than Scola, but you take Scola anyday because the difference of offense between Scola and Hayes impacts the game bigger than difference of their defense.

Of course, Suns will not just trade Nash for AB, because they'd get much better deal than that.

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

i don't think the concern is with regard to his age affecting his performance.

the concerns are, from my perspective, two-fold:

1) continuity - assuming he only has a 1 or 2 year window, i think people are put off by the thought of having some success and then losing him the next year to retirement or whatever, rather than being able to build upon something over the long term.

2) asset management - mcgrady is presumably the best trade chip we have had in quite some time, at least with regard to anything we have been willing to deal. it would be a bit disappointing using that on a short term solution and then seeing that total value evaporate in a year or so. you ideally want to keep your assets in play, but with nash, trading him in the short term is obviously counterintuitive, and his retirement doesn't free up any cap space. so you are essentially left with nothing in a year or so. whereas with someone younger, you can keep trading the value over and over and keeping that in play.

just my 2 cents. i would probably do it anyway i think.

11. choujie

choujie Member

Nash will have a longer window than 1-2 years. He doen'st rely on any sort of athletisizm, and his basketball IQ can only go higher. If he goes down with Yao together after a few years, it would be a perfect time to rebuild.

12. saleem

I do agree that age has nothing to do how he is doing.Just don't see him as the right fit for Yao.As far as his team not being worse defensively whether he is there or not,doesn't mean that he isn't bad on that end. All he can do is take a charge or get a few steals,which shows to me he doesn't care. His philosophy is to outscore you.

13. choujie

choujie Member

Nash is not replacing an elite defender here. His defense is poor, but AB isn't by any means great at that.

But on offense, there simply isn't any comparasion between Nash and AB except speed.

Nash will be a much much better fit for Yao than AB, that's 100% sure. When people say "Nash can't fit Yao", they need to look at the fact that AB fits Yao maybe the worst.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. I think Nash has more than a year or two left in his tank.

2. McGrady is a expiring contract... if Nash retires in a couple of years, he's also an expiring contract at that time, if he's washed up (like McGrady seems to be now), you can use the expiring contract to do something like you can with McGrady's.

Sure, it would be best if you have someone younger, but I'd prefer an elite Nash at 35 than an younger but significantly worse player.

15. saleem

I don't deny a single word that you said. I'm astonished when some people say the Suns will take Brooks for Nash. I feel that Yao and Nash will have problems fitting with each other though.

#95 saleem, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  16. bcast89

bcast89 Member

the only problem i see is nash's INDIVIDUAL defense and if he would run the break as much as he does in phoenix. hypothetically speaking, nash would tire yao out. now if nash were to alter his style of play to accommodate yao, i'd be all for a trade depending on who's involved (most likely brooks).

17. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Imagine if Brooks played WITH Nash.

Brooks > Barbosa.

18. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

You're crazy if you think Brooks is really better than Barbosa. What has Brooks done in the league? Barbosa was once the sixed man of the year in the 06-07 season. All you can say about Brooks right now is that he was in the Rookie vs Sophomore game during the all-star break.lol :rolleyes: Brooks will be good in the league someday but right now Barbosa > Brooks.

19. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Brooks was so good offensively, on a team that preached more defense than offense.

Barbosa is so good offensively, on a team that preaches ONLY offense.

If Brooks was Nash's backup PG on the Suns the past few years, Brooks' talent would be so much more than that of Leandro's.

20. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

Nash won't bring any more energy than Aaron has been doing in offense, and his defensive work is even worse than any roster on our team. His experiences may help us alot though.