1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I know the chances are remote, but Steve Nash should absolutely be Rockets top target

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 18, 2009.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Honestly, I am a little tired to watch those old players.

I want fresh faces, like ricky rubio.

To watch the growing of a young potential player is a good feeling!

2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

True, I was just replying to Aznoob's post about them being exactly the same, when they have very different weaknesses, therefore not wanting Nash doesn't automatically mean not wanting Rubio. (That said, I am very wary of Rubio's lack of elevation on his jump shot. Nash's distribution and shooting more than make up for his defensive liabilities, and his contract is short.)

3. worzel gummidge

Including their 14th pick, the Suns as they stand, would be around $9.325M over LT. They would still need to add at least two more contracts to meet the 13 man minimum.

Brooks + Mobley + White (non-guaranteed) for Nash, would save the Suns $11.107M. Suns reduce team salary by $3.507M and Mobley's contract saves them $7.6M.

4. choujie

choujie Member

Unfortunately, most of the time old faces win championships.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Cuttino Mobley is the key to any blockbuster deals, IMHO.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Bball is a team sport. A team has old and young faces. E.g., the lakers have Kobe (old face) and Ariza (new face). Without Ariza, I don't think the lakers can win the title, and Ariza make the lakers games more exciting!

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Anyone saying Nash can't function in the halfcourt is nuts. He's probably the best playmaker in the halfcourt setting not named Chris Paul. He can still score in iso situations, break his man down, or utilize the pick and roll. If there's someone better in the halfcourt that's available please let us know, cause Billups is off the table.

The only reason not to want Nash is because he is old.

8. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

For a Yao centered offense, you need a PG who can

pass Yao the ball
    shoot 3
    penetrate and then find Yao/Scola/Landry for dunks or dish out for 3s

name one PG who can do better than Nash?

if we do let Nash, we really need to re-sign artest and wafer.

battier/artest can cover Nash's defense weakness, and nash can also run with the players like landry/scola/wafer ...

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

if Nash is that good, why couldn't the suns even make playoffs last season?

The suns have Shaq and Amare.

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

one reason is that nash is 30 something and rubio is 18

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Because they were horrible on defense-- something like 5th worst out of 30 teams.

Back in the glory years, even though they played fast, the amount of points scored per possession by the opponent was not very high. They were at least of average efficiency back then. This year, they were significantly below average.

And the Western Conf teams (or at least 8 teams in the West) are too good for them to make the playoffs when their D is as bad as it was.

They did more than fine on the offensive end-- at least when Nash is on the floor.

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Nash is a leader in that category!

13. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Nash and Yao together would be a dream come true. He would instantly be our best shooter too. You want to sandwich yao with fronting, then those open 3s that alston bricked all those years, nash would drain them.

14. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If Nash + shaq+amare didn't work out, I just cannot see that nash+ Yao can work out!

15. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Nash + Yao + Scola + Battier, etc will work for sure, no doubt. :cool:

16. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

Brooks might be a little bit better defender than Nash, but not by a lot. On the other hand, Nash is away better than Brooks in the offense end, especially as a PG.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Are we like the Astros now? trading talent for aging superstars. Give me a break. I want this team to succeed for multiple seasons not just next season. Nash is great but we need an athletic slasher and shooter to make his passing worth it in a half court offense. We need to find that shooter that creates for himself and can hit shots.

18. choujie

choujie Member

Only one totally replacable young face in that starting line up.

And without Ariza, Lakers still have a very good chance with Walton. Ariza can be replaced by countless players in NBA at this moment.

But without old face Kobe or Gasol, Lakers wouldn't have any chance. Not many people can replace those old faces in NBA.

19. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

If we can't trade for Nash...we need to kidnap him 4 real!!

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Nash and Yao are polar opposites in terms of play style.

No.