1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I know the chances are remote, but Steve Nash should absolutely be Rockets top target

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Prince

Prince Member

Nash is not the type of pg where you expect to dominate by doing crossover moves. His hands and mental game are his best assets. It won't deteriorate in the next 5 years. pretty much like Stockton.

2. bjshot

bjshot Member

Yes, in the middle of the season, DM tried to trade Tmac for Nash. It failed. Nash should be the #1 realstic trade goal. The main concern is his age and he's declined since 2 years ago. So how much Rockets will pay for him? if TMac for Nash+barbosa, it will benifit Rockets. But if TMac+AB for Nash+barbosa, I don't know if DM is willing to do it.

Anyway Nash definitely a moneyball player and Suns is in financial problem.

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Agreed. I don't necessarily want Nash, but it's incredibly annoying when the board rejects the prospect of acquiring players superior to Yao asserting the premise that they don't mesh with the latter's many deficiencies. If you're catering to someone's needs with no substantial improvement, after a while there comes a time when you atleast need to entertain the possibility that they themselves might be contributing to the problem.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Where they are the same is that both are superb in their primary function... playing the point, running the team.

5. ryl

ryl Member

he's not great in half court situations... and we can't just run pick and rolls all day cause we still have to feed it to yao... and he's pretty terrible on D... and he's old... so no

6. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

Steve Nash pass his prime but you never know, just like what happen when he got traded to the suns. The suns medical staff is amazing, hills, shaq :eek:.

I think we have more chance of getting baron davis than nash, to me the most likely team to get steve is the knick.

7. Rocketaggie89

Rocketaggie89 Member

What about Nash/Richardson for Tmac?

8. monster

monster Member

I wouldn't mind having Nash, but I don't want to sacrifice too much for him. He's 36yrs old....how much longer do you really think he could play? I'm not too worried about the offense. Yao rebounds, kicks it out, and the rest of the guys fly down the court. If nothing materializes, Yao catches up and we run our regular offense.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

well, he's hurt every team he has played on. dallas AND suns both sucked defensively when he was on that team. he left dallas and they got 100x better. ;)

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Nash in the half-court wasn't that great in Phoenix last year. He's extraordinary in the open floor and in transition, so he'll no doubt help in that aspect, but I can't say he'd be a huge upgrade in the half-court. Also, his defense is suspect at best, too.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having Nash aboard, as long as we don't have to give up much (e.g., T-Mac for Nash + contracts would be fine by me).

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So you think Dallas' defensive improvement had more to do with Nash leaving than it did with the coaching change from Nelson to Avery Johnson?

12. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

Steve Nash is still a good point guard but he may only have 2 years at the most where he can play at this level before age will start to catch up with him. Brooks and Lowry are still young and can get better with more playing time. Nash also plays no defense and his style fits with run-and-gun teams like the old Phoenix teams and Golden State. The Rockets do not play that style. I would rather stay with the Brooks/Lowry combo, even though Nash is a better player than both at this point.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'd like to see the evidence that Nash's teams perform worse offensively than we have down the stretch.

Building your offense around a a player who can't face up or put the ball on the floor is a mistake in this era. There's no need for Yao to run up and down the floor to keep up with Nash. Let Nash handle the ball on the break and probe the defense looking for early offense opportunities. If that doesn't work, run pick and roll or you have Yao available as a low post option. That's what the Rockets tried to do with Aaron Brooks late last season. With Nash, we'll just have someone who's much better at it.

14. sweetbobl

sweetbobl Member

The only real argument against Nash is the way him and Yao would get abused on the defensive end against teams who could run the pick and roll with Yao's guy. You can't tell me Nash is a much worse man defender than Brooks though.

I hear this stuff about not running with Yao out there. It's not like Yao has to run. Not all 5 guys run on a break and somebody has to get the board and get it out. Can all the rookie posters chill with that non-sense?

The main thing Nash brings is somebody who can get easier points for Yao. That would be a nice change. Entry pass people?

15. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

This.

And I see a lot of posters on this particular thread rag on Nash's defense?

Hello? Have you SEEN Phoenix's game? They play "shoot in 7 seconds or less", not "shoot in 17 seconds or more offense."

The reason Nash doesn't play defense very well, is because that is not implemented into the Sun's overall type of basketball.

If we nab Nash, I bet he will be more than willing to set aside time to learn proper defense.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The whole Nash won't fit argument is silly.

1. People talk as though the Rockets are a super slow team when their pace (90.3 possessions per game) is barely below the league average (91.7 possession per game).

2. It assumes that Nash won't be able to get the Rockets to play faster. Over the last 2 years, the Suns were 3 possessions per 48 minutes faster when Nash was on court compared to when he's off (97.4 vs. 94.4)-- and that's with the "Brazilian Blur" often covering Nash's minutes.

One would think that the additon of an elite level PG would help the Rockets get some more easy baskets in transition, too, and increase the pace factor at least moderately. I mean, even Van Gundy was constantly waiving Steve Francis to move forward... the Rockets simply didn't qutie have that guy who pushes the ball on a break (McGrady, too, isn't a ball-pusher on the break... Rafer is great at dribbling up court fast, he ain't no Magic Johnson in other respects of the break-running).

3. Nash is far from washed up... the primary cause for the decrease of his numbers was decreased minutes and having to share touches more. He's as efficient as anyone out there.

4. He's not a good defender, that's for sure, but this isn't something that a team can't deal with. The Suns team of a few years ago was actually somewhat decent on D on a points per possession basis, when they had the likes of Marion, Bell, Diaw , etc, (and Joe J before him). This past year's team was terrible on D but that's a team-wide thing rather than a Nash thing. He's still overall a big positive.

17. Prince

Prince Member

Amare is past his prime because of injury, NOT Nash.

18. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

This is not a question of wheather Nash want to play for the Rockets. Of course, he wants to be here. He and Yao are friend and who wouldn't want to play for a Championship team.

This is a matter of how realistic can we get Nash and is the Suns willing to give him up. If we can get him...i am definitely all for it because he provide another go-2-guy that Brooks can't provide.

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I wouldn't mind Nash at all, I'd just be a little reluctant because of his age and I'd rather be a contender for longer.

BUT...

the one thing I think the rockets should be really committed to is finding a way to lock Morey and Kerr in the same room and let the ass-raping commence.

20. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

given what it would take to acquire him, and given our current needs/weaknesses, steve nash makes this team better NEXT YEAR moreso than any other realistic target.

my primary concern is with regard to his age and the long term state of the team, but i do think those worries can be mitigated when remembering that a proactive general manager like morey can always keep his assets in play and ensure competitiveness.