1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I know its Melo..but is he the one?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Siu0410, Aug 21, 2010.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great post is great.

This team still needs to be drastically upgraded. I trust that Daryl Morey can fill the "roleplayer" spots If we need to gut the team a little bit...

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My point is that you don't want your best player to be your point guard especially if that player dominates the ball like Paul does. It doesn't get you anywhere. The PG should be a complimentary player.

Magic was different because he he played more of a hybrid PF/PG role. In the half court he would post up, but he would also lead the break.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think, at this point, we want our best player to be a top 10 NBA player regardless of position.

4. rockbox

But if I had to choose, it wouldn't be PG. Don't get me wrong, an upgrade is an upgrade, but I wouldn't trade Martin and Brooks for Paul. I would for Carmelo though.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If you look at the positions etc and get top 10 players at each..well....

We have one at the Center position in Yao, probably top 3.

We have one at the SG position, probably around 10.

We have a PG who is near there if not top 10 already.

We have a PF who is top 10 or right there abouts.

This team is better than folks think.

DD

6. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

This post has too much truth in it. Unfortunately, too many posters think that we have this "so called 50-100 % chance" that we can prevail and surprise the rest of the league and beat the Lakers, Celtics, Heat in a 7 game series with the current squad.

FACT THIS BOYS AND GIRLS, Yao has a finite amount of time left in this league. We can stand pat and not get Melo but whos to say once we do get a superstar in the future Yao will still be dominant. We need a superstar now! I give up Brooks or Martin to get him.

Many of you posters think we have a chance to get a superstar anytime, this year and the next. THAT'S BS. Superstars moving from team to team hardly happens. Yes, Melo sounds risky but I take it anytime anyday.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't think that formula is going to work. I think even Morey knows the "Detroit Blueprint" is fool's gold and nothing more than a Plan B if he can't land a true Top 10 NBA talent.

We need to upgrade.

8. DaDakota

Well always if you can get it and not give up too much. Because we had two guys in Tmac and Yao there were top 10 and uh......

I think we "Want" to upgrade, but don't "need" to do it.

DD

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm going to agree.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm not of the opinion that Yao was ever a top 10 player or that McGrady was one after his first season as a Rocket.

I think we definitely NEED to upgrade. I honestly believe Morey feels the same way. Even his words in the media tell me this is a guy who truly believes we are a big step away from truly contending.

Having said that, I won't cry if we roll this season with what we have because I love this team and believe with the improvement of the young guys plus the return of a 75% Yao who plays 30 minutes a night I think this team wins 50+ games easy.

The problem is they just are not built to stand toe to toe with the big boys in May or June.

11. DaDakota

I completely disagree with that....

We weren't last year but this year..yes....especially with improvement from Brooks, Bud, Lowry and Hill.....and more time with Martin.

This team is stacked.

DD

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's better than Melo. Whether you lok at PER, TS%, or playmaking, he's better. He's not a liability on defense at his position. The only thing Melo has on him is PPG.

13. alethios

alethios Member

Magic Johnson comes to mind.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

so we've got one, who was so good, he won a championship game playing centre.

After than you have ...., well you have the Big O, of course he was teamed up with Lew Alcindor, who wasn't much of a player really...

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Isaiah.

Besides. Melo is an SF. How many rings they win.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It seems pretty telling that Melo wasn't a winner until Billups arrived, and Denver stunk against the Jazz when Billups was off the floor.

Yes he led Syracuse to a title, but that wasn't because of leadership, he was just way more talented than the competition.

17. Raven

Raven Member

In Morey I trust.

:)

18. DaDakota

You can not compare NCAA championships to winning in the playoffs, the one and out type of scenario and disparity in talent leads to only a handful of teams really having a shot.

DD

19. rockbox

Kobe didn't do much without Shaq and Gasol either. Yao still hasn't done anything. Garnet didn't jack until Cassell.

Haters are going to hate.

20. joesr

joesr Member

this 110 percent.

all stars attract all stars

also to reply to another post, there is nothing wrong with having many scorers as long as they dont compete against each other in that department. having a team full of scorers makes players like Ariza, Battier, Bowen and other top known defenders rendered useless. Im sorry to be the one whose says it but when you have a top defender, it pointless if everyone on the court can score at will