1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I know its Melo..but is he the one?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Siu0410, Aug 21, 2010.

1. kevolution

kevolution Member

Last time I checked, Yao Ming wasn't a point guard...

2. Shane4president

I think hes the only top 5 player in the league available sooooo ima say YES!!! :)

3. acefan18

acefan18 Member

He's the one! We need to put a ring on his finger ;)

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

My logic, as well as the Bulls, Rockets, Spurs, Lakers, Pistons, Heat, and Celtics, which is about the last 20 years worth of championships.

5. Siu0410

Siu0410 Member

Truthfully, I would rather have Melo instead of Bud at the 3 (OBVIOUSLY).
    If we have to give up too much for him....otherwise I dun think the trade will give us a HUGE upgrade. We do need our high quality young blood and our role players.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The logic is terrible. You're basically saying "We are better off with Aaron Brooks than CP3 because teams with point guards who are their best players don't win championships."

I guess everyone should stay away from LeBron because SF's don't win championships when they are the best player.

7. Mr. Clutch

Compare Bud's and Kobe's rookie stats and get back to me on that one.

8. AGBee

AGBee Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/STtwzLVAa1s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/STtwzLVAa1s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

9. Siu0410

Siu0410 Member

I would be a genius if I can make fairly accurate projections for the future..
    But that wouldn't be rational, would it? :rolleyes:

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The logic is that wit a finite resource (salary cap), its better to spend the money on a wing or a big than a PG.

Magic is the exception to every rule. He was really a PF that best court vision of anyone that ever played the game. Although he was the best on the court, he was seldom the highest scorer. Zeke also played on a stacked team. Chris Paul is neither one of those players. He is more Kevin Johnson.

1 person likes this.
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Melo might have had the punk factor going when he entered the League, but seems to have matured on and off the court.

Let me put it this way. Melo used to be overrated. Now, he's underrated.

Dude can get to the hoop and works the block like a madman....... a scoring machine who is easily one of the top 5 players in the league.

I would be excited, but not surprised if a reasonable swap goes down and he lands here.

Morey's vision becoming clearer and clearer.....

2 people like this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Chris Paul is way better than Kevin Johnson. If we get Chris Paul, our team WILL be stacked.

Chris Paul put up PERs of 28+ and 30+ in 2007-08 and 2008-09.

Here is Hollinger on Paul:
    "If you want to compare him to another point guard in his first four pro seasons, you have only one choice: Magic Johnson. That's it. Everyone else pales in comparison. In terms of PER, Paul's past two seasons are the two best ever by a point guard since the league began tracking individual turnovers in 1973-74. "

Besides, you can use the same logic and say we shouldn't get stud at SF. When is the last time a SF was the best player on a championship team?

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Overrating current Rockets players is really getting out of hand.

This team needs a superstar. Right now it doesn't even have an All Star so lets stop with the "so and so is a ball stopper" or "this guy doesn't fit the Rockets culture" crap. The Rockets culture, as of right now, is a bunch of nice guys who didn't make the playoffs last season. How bad can you really screw up a team that was barely over .500 last season? And don't give me this crap about potential or the "when healthy" BS because that has not happened in half a decade for this team.

The fact remains that this team with or without Yao needs a legit superstar to get into the Contender conversation. Daryl Morey is more than smart enough to make sure not to gut the team in order to add that player so let's stop pretending Aaron Brooks is almost as good as CP3 or that Carmelo Anthony is going to muck up this supposedly awesome chemistry.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The truth!

15. rockbox

Kevin Johnson during his best seasons average 20+ points and 10+ assists. He also shot 50 percent from the field which is the same as Paul.

Paul's PER rating is distorted because of his high number of steals.

Paul is only better than Kevin Johnson in steels and 3 pt percentage. Paul is overrated.

In regards to the SF example. There isn't any difference between a SF and a 2 guard in a practical sense. They are both wings. Is there any difference between what Carmelo, Durant, Lebron versus Kobe, Michael, and Clyde?

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Have to disagree with a few points:

1. Paul is not overrated but KJ is severely underrated. The guy, if not for injuries, would have finished his career as one of the top 5 PG to ever play the game.

2. SF and SG maybe be similar positions but Anthony is very different from many SF and almost all SG in that his game is built largely on post ups and using his strength down low. He is more of a "power player" on offense than any wing in the league and that is including Lebron.

just my two cents...

17. AXG

AXG Member

Detroit's best player in '04 was Chauncey Billups and Spurs '07 Finals MVP was Tony Parker.

18. Mr. Clutch

Chris Paul has averaged over 20 ppg and 10 assists in 2 seasons already.

So what is your point anyways? So Michael and Kobe have won rings. Isaiah and Magic have won rings. There isn't a big man available, you go for the best available player. If Paul is available, he is clearly the best.

19. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

20. rockbox

I'm saying he is not better than Melo. I'm saying he isn't even the best point guard in the league. And I'm saying that he plays the worse position to have your best player. If Paul was even close to Magic, it would be a different story. Unfortunately, he's closer to KJ than Magic.