1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I know I'm a Microsoft Shill, but I switched to Bing because it's better

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

More like a first-round TKO.

2. what

what Member

lol, you ever heard of ad blocker? It's newfangled for sure.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

In previous testing I've used both Google and Bing's advanced search operators, and Google has already been way more accurate in it's findings.

Google: site:clutchfans.net "what"
    Bing: domain:clutchfans.net "what"

Google returned what I was looking for.

4. joesr

joesr Member

Bing rewards. Nuff said

5. what

what Member

This is a really specific example.

One search where I do think google beats bing in terms of functionality and good screen use and organization is searching diseases. Bing's version is okay, but I like google's results a lot better.

But for the most part Bing does search better and is the clear favorite in my opinion.

And I have really truly switched, and believe me I've said things before about google, just to go back to google. But I'm not going back this time.

Just like Edge. I'm using edge exclusively not and the only reason I have chrome on my machine is because of the nba.com scores. In chrome there is an app called style this or something that allows you to hid scores. Otherwise I wouldn't use chrome. I love Edge at this point.

But if you have a bunch of apps (I don't) I can understand still using chrome.

6. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Ever since Ballmer retired a few years ago, MS has really turned things around. They're looking pretty cool too. Windows 10 had a weak launch but really started to come into its own with the legacy update and now rivals Windows 7 as a rock solid OS with cool interface. I dunno why people use iPad but MS Surface products (other than the high cost) are totally legit and way better in productivity than iPad. I love Edge over Chrome or Firefox but I still use Chrome as my main surfing browser out of habit.

However, I have to disagree with Bing over Google in terms of search. Bing is a much more useful search engine in that in provides a lot of other features Google doesn't have and the interface is prettier. However, I've tried searching for things on Bing vs Google and Google returns way more useful results for me on a variety of things. Google's search algorithm is indeed superior and that's their secret sauce. It's like the Coke vs. Pepsi thing. Coke was first to the scene but Pepsi converted a whole generation. At the end of the day, Coke is still better though.

7. what

what Member

While understand that it is a personal preference, I think many people just fall back on the mantra: well the algorithm is better as a sweeping statement, because they have nothing else they can say because even they can see bing is clearly better.

Another challenge: search for restaurants in seattle. Bing will show you a list of restaurants along with a bunch of dropdown constraints. While Google, on the other hand, makes you type type type forever to get what you want.

Not only that, but since bing is powered by yelp, you get reviews broken down by menu item, prices and much more. Like what? Book a table for example You can book a table right from the browser with opentable.

So don't tell me you prefer google over bing for that. That dog won't hunt. If that's the case, it's just blind loyalty.

#47 what, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  8. Major

Major Member

Google or Bing "Sports".

Google: a bunch of national sports sites (ESPN, Yahoo, FoxSports, NY Times, etc)

Bing: A few national sports sites. 1st Page results also include Fox Sports Ohio, Loveland Youth Baseball, City of Loveland Rec Leagues, Shooters Sports Grill.

I'm in Austin.

Algorithm.

9. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Yup, I agree. MS is based out of Seattle so of course they'll give you the best places in Seattle. I'm not just making a sweeping generalizing about algorithms, I'm saying that Google's search algorithm is indeed better at the day to day things I've done. Also, Yelp is a crazy business model in itself. I know plenty of restaurants that don't show up on Yelp searches simply because they refuse to pay for play by the Yelp model, which is very corrupt. Without any allegiance to any sites, Google simply gives me the best results on a consistent basis while Bing underwhelms. I know this because Bing is my default search engine since I do Bing Rewards. Whenever I type something, it first shows up on Bing. Then I try it with Google, and I'm usually much happier with the Google results. I do the comparison literally every day. Again, if you're happy with Bing's results, by all means stay with it.

10. what

what Member

Give examples. Please.

11. Major

Major Member

12. what

what Member

If I knew what the hell you were talking about, I guess I'd understand. When I search "sports" in Bing, I get Espn, USA Today, Yahoo Sports and CBS Sports. right off the bat as the top search. Basically the same as google.

HOWEVER: let's take this search a little further and you will see how Bing owns google.

Click on News on Google and then do the same on Bing. google get demolished in news. Bing gives you a thousand times better results.

Yeah google I really need to know how: Eye Injuries in Youth Sports Are Surprisingly Common

Before I clicked on news in Bing after I searched sports, I had no idea who Randy Gregory was. But now I know that he failed a drug test and that he plays for the dallas cowboys. Probably more relevant than google's eye injury story. And that's just a tip of the iceburg. Do the search and see how google gets owned.

#52 what, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

14. what

what Member

15. bobrek

I go to both google and bing, type in sports news and they both provide similar results and both show sports news blurbs from my current location.

16. what

what Member

You're right they do. But after you type in sports, then click on news on both while you are in sport results to see the really big difference and how bing outclasses google.

17. bobrek

It's perfectly OK for you to like/prefer Bing, just like it is perfectly OK for others to like/prefer Google.

18. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Exactly. I wish this debate will stop. Search engine is a matter of preference. If you're happy with your result, then just stick with it.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Emacs vs Vim.

20. calcium

calcium Member

I use search engines for a living :)

And for me, google returns better results, better being more relevant to me.

The quality of what Bing gives me is hit and miss.