1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"I knew you were coming for me..."

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by El Hitman, May 18, 2010.

1. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Mouthing off to an old ex-Marine with a gun. Can't say I'm not surprised with the end result.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

he was walking away and was shot in the back.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That's semantics. If the victim apologized to the Marine instead of daring him to use his firearm, I feel he would still be alive today. The victim was in the wrong first by allowing his dog to urinate in someone's lawn who took offense to it. His lawn is not public property, and the Marine reserves the right to tell his neighbor that it is unacceptable for his dog to urinate there.

The world would be a better place if we understand one another. That is all we are reasoning. You don't solve the problem by punishing the outcome. You fix the source. If the victim were more respectful to the Marine's demands, this tragedy might not have happened. If people were more respectful to one another, this world would be a better place.

Everyone agrees the Marine deserves to be jailed. He murdered another man. Some people want to understand why he did it.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's easy....pride. pride is at the heart of it nearly every time violence is involved.

the Marine was sooo proud, that he couldn't dare allow a dog to pee on his yard. and he decided that the penalty for injuring his pride in this way was death.

5. Duncan McDonuts

And the victim was so proud that his dog can urinate wherever it likes, so arrogant that he would not be shot. Some of us see fault in both parties, but some only see the fault that's punishable by law.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No, no. I agree with you. It was obstinate and rude.

It's just that the response was so overwhelmingly extreme, it's hard not to focus on that.

7. jo mama

no, thats not semantics at all.

semantics (definition): The meaning or the interpretation of a word, sentence, or other language form: We're basically agreed; let's not quibble over semantics.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/semantics

i stated the fact that the dog walker was walking away and the marine came up behind and shot him. there is no semantics involved in that statement.

and if i was the king of spain i could eat empanadas everyday...so what? you are simply making excuses for the crazy murderer - you are trying to justify what he did. or condoning what he did. (thats semantics, btw)

lots of people own dogs and they take their dogs for walks and the dogs pee on the walks - that is what dogs do. should everyone who allows their dog to pee in someones yard be murdered? is it ok to pull a gun on someone b/c their dog pees in your yard?

of course, but does the marine reserve the right to murder the guy b/c his dog peed on his lawn?

is it ok to murder someone b/c their dog pees on your lawn? is it ok to even pull a gun on someone b/c their dog pees on your lawn?

no, you are trying to justify what he did. you are condoning what he did. or making excuses for what he did. (that is semantics, btw)

life isnt some clint eastwood movie - you need to grow up.

8. jo mama

"proud" that his dog can urinate where it likes?
    "arrogant"?

when i take my dog for walks and he pees in peoples yards do you honestly think i am "proud" or "arrogant"?

you are putting alot more effort into blaming the murdered guy and defending or making excuses for the crazy murderer.

should i be murdered b/c my dog pees on someone yard when i take him for walks?

is it justifiable to pull a gun on someone b/c their dog pees on your yard?

i have had a dog for over 10 years and i walk him everyday and he pees in lots of yards - if anyone pulled a gun on me i would call the cops on them.

9. Duncan McDonuts

jo mama, do you realize that everyone agrees the Marine is a murderer and deserves to be punished? Nobody thinks what the Marine did is right. Nobody is justifying this murder, nor condoning the actions of the Marine. We all agree he is wrong.

What we are doing is analyzing his thought process, the reasons for his actions, and where missteps were taken. There were wrong decisions on both parts. You should realize be able to objectively realize this because oftentimes, emotional reactions can lead to irrational decisions. People learn from their mistakes or others', but you can't fix a mistake you don't know exists.

10. Ari

Ari Member

Not to sound mean, but I long for the day when bluffers get called on their bluff. If it happens enough times, people will stop making threats or claims they cannot back up. That day, my friend, humanity will have truly taken a giant leap forward.

11. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I don't know exactly what this means. Was gut shooting someone from behind and then changing clothes for your arrest while they bleed out a desirable bluff-calling outcome for society.

Yes by all means the dog owner was probably a mouthy douche. Punch him in the jaw if you can...once you take out that firearm you are a criminal.

12. Ari

Ari Member

Not gut, I just hate bluffing, don't mind me I am on a rant here nothing more, probably not the appropriate thread topic for it.

Obviously the Gran Turino guy will get his due for being a murderer, so nothing much for me to add on this particular incident. There are equally idiotic incidents and senseless violence all over the place every single day in America, it is what America has largely become associated with in the minds of a lot people, that is why people are going on shopping sprees loading up on those firearms and assault weapons :eek:

I should probably start a different thread on the social evils associated with bluffing or fake bravado and the appropriate punishment for it.

13. jo mama

as i already pointed out, many in this thread including yourself are doing just that.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=5312237&postcount=95

none of this even makes sense.

ill ask again - is it justifiable to pull a gun on someone b/c their dog pees on your yard?

14. Duncan McDonuts

jo mama, do you think the young man handled the situation properly? Do you think he is absolutely flawless in his decisions?

And to answer your question for the third time, the Marine was WRONG to have shot him.

Analyzing =/= justifying

15. jo mama

obviously not, but he did not deserve to be murdered as you seem to be arguing.

well he did not deserve to be murdered as you seem to be arguing. he never escalated it beyond a verbal exchange and was in the process of walking away when he was shot in the back.

that was not the question i asked. i asked you if one would be justified in pulling a gun on someone whose dog pees in their yard.

your 'analysis' is nothing more than an attempt to find justification for the murder. you have spent a heck of alot more time making excuses for than condemning the murderers actions. there is no 'understanding' or 'reasoning' to be found in what happened. it was cold blooded murder and it was over nothing. its pretty disturbing that people like you are going to such lengths to find 'reasoning' for or 'analyze' what happened.

but i suppose at this point we are arguing semantics.