1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I just noticed about Vspan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stonegate_archer, Dec 11, 2006.

1. SpanWagon

SpanWagon Member

He's played 141 minutes total of NBA ball.
    Save the straw man arguments at least until he gets some time in at the point.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I actually think his entry passes have been some of the better ones on the team. Well, to be accurate I think his entry passes on re-posts are some of the betters ones on the team. When he's throwing the initial entry pass from the wing, he does tend to get it deflected a bit, but once it's tossed back to him he's great at quickly kicking it back inside with a crisp delivery.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Backing down already huh?

Uhh, sorry dog, the argument launched by DaDakota and you was, very clearly, that Spanoulis was more "NBA-Ready" than Sam Casselll as a rookie - a point that I found to be completely laughable, given that Sam Cassell's pre-NBA resume was far, far more likely to render him "NBA ready" than Spanoulis - which was validated in Cassell's rookie performance...which is why I disagreed.

What does "more NBA ready" mean? The definition I used was this:

I thought it was ludicrous for you and DaDakota to suggest that Spanoulis, given the fact that he is transitioning from a different country, to a different game, in a different language, is more "NBA-ready" than somebody like Cassell. Thus far I appear to have been right - as he has looked highly erratic - in other words, not yet ready to be a full-time contributor in the NBA without more training and experience in the american game.

If you still believe he's more "NBA-ready" than Sam Cassell was - pretty much the worst possible thing for you to say is "Well he's only played 141 minutes, he needs more experience!" - effectively you are acknowledging that he was not more NBA ready by virtue of the definition I used and conceding the point.

You know what it is when you keep citing "straw man arguments" that aren't actually straw man arguments - but rather directly disprove your assertions?: A straw man argument.

But that's in the past, so much for that.

In the future, I will say this. Spanoulis will never be the player Cassell is and not have as good a career. He might prove me wrong, but for now not only is he not as NBA ready as Cassell, both ex ante and ex post - he's not going to be as good of a player. I hope I'm wrong, but at this point I don't see it.

#23 SamFisher, Dec 13, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

SamFisher shaves his puss, thats probably why he doesn't like Spanoulis...

5. SamFisher

*Adds Amel to the KAS13 beatdown list....

[KAS13]I'm onna fight you puss! [/KAS13]

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Way to be juvenile. Sam clearly said he hopes VSpan can do well.

You have to admit, though, he is doing very little with his playing time at the moment. If the trend continues from yesterday, Lucas might eat even into his time (assuming Bonzi will start to take minutes at the two, where Span has been getting most of his time). He certainly won't be taking minutes away from Luther as he thought he would. Right now his game needs serious work and you and others were saying that it would not.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See, this is where we differ, I would rather have a Tony Parker type at the PG position, someone who drives and dishes, or takes the midrange shots.

Since we are basically mirroring San Antonio, we might as well go all the way.

I hope JL3 and V-Span get some time, I like JL3 at the backup PG in spots because he can change the tempo offensively.

I also like V-Span on the floor at the PG, because he is the best passer on the team.

DD

8. SamFisher

San Antonio has a more mobile big man who can face up and play outside and clear space for Parker - in other words he doesn't have to clog the middle most of the time. Yao on the other hand has to play closer to the basket to be effective and is a more traditional post player.

Look, the point is, every offense is designed to get open shots. if you can get open shots consistently from your PG which the Rockets can and do - it would be in your best interests to get somebody who can knock them down.

For all his passing virtuoso and playmaking abilities, one of the secrets to Steve Nash's success is that the guy has been consistently deadeye from range for nearly a decade - the guy is always over 40% from beyond the arc and has had just one year in which he was under that (37%). IMO the ideal PG for the Rox would be Jason Terry. He can shoot over 40% and in volume - with him spotting up from the outside and getting open looks the Rockets are basically unstoppable.

#28 SamFisher, Dec 13, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  9. Highwire

Highwire Member

He seems afraid now to make mistakes which making him hesitant in every move.

10. highfly

highfly Member

Glad to know that he has such devoted supporters in his rookie year.

11. rimbaud

Supporting Member

It is asinine to suggest that one cannot support a player while also realizing his limitations and hoping for improvement.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Ah, I like Sammy

it's just he always spoils the fun

:mad:

Span needs playing time, that's all he needs....

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sorta like Sam Cassell did in his first NBA season. :D

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

hahahhaahhaha

15. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

OK my mind went somewhere else on this one - and then I thought "Oh, maybe this is a continuation of the KAS13 thread, and Sam is just getting someone's puss ready for some docking manuevers. I wonder who the lucky guy is?"

Oh please Sam do not beat me like you do the KAS13! I am so sorry! I weel not theenk the evil thoughts again!

I noticed Vspan has been inconsistent but I still have high hopes for him as a role player if he gets the minutes this year. Lucas looked much better last night. He actually ran the offense for some good plays last night! Can't wait til the offense is clicking at Sun like speed in the future - whenever that might be.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I said the fact that he played pro basketball made him arguably more ready than Sam Cassell coming into their rookie years.

And Sam averaging 1.6 APG and 1.25 turnovers in his first 20 games pretty much shows it a wash

What, you are actually going to make a prediction, good for you Sam, way to go out and take a stand ! It will take 10 years though to prove who had the better career.....I would be happy with a tie....

DD

PS. Did you see Miami play zone defense in the 4th quarter against the Suns to get back into the game from a massive deficit.....2 more points for DD.

17. highfly

highfly Member

OK now I see where you're coming from.

18. rimbaud

Supporting Member

In case you missed this in that older thread, I posted this on Dec 8:

Through 11 games played:
    Span: 11 mpg, 3.7 ppg, 36% 2, 27% 3, 1.1 rpg, .9 apg, 1.27 to, .45 spg
    Sam: 13 mpg, 5.7 ppg, 44% 2, 38% 3, 2.5 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.6 to, .9 spg

Since then, Span's numbers are worse (now playing 12 1/2 mpg) as were Sam's (because he played 2 minutes each in games 12 & 13).

19. IRockU

IRockU Member

Stats are not everything. If you play in different teams, you automatically have diferent roles in your team. So I am not sure if you can compare these stats so easily...

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

its laughable the way we compare him to Nash, Sam or anyone else

we all take guesses, talk about it, want him to be like them, it's a forum

but, will he be a Nash or a Cassell?, it's way to early to tell!

Some people take this way to serious than it actually is....

Span has a lot to get straight, he came from a diff country, diff culture, plays a diff role here, all these things should be considered as an obsticle for probably another year or two

he has upside, he is smart. will everything click for him to become a starter or an elite? its too early to tell

we will see...but like always I will continue to write about him as a Nash or Cassell type of a player, hehe