1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

I just bought golf clubs; I know nothing about golf clubs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Lynus302, Nov 6, 2010.

1. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

That's a good price, but if you're trying to learn golf, blades are gonna be ridiculously hard to hit. Try finding some cavity back for cheap they're more forgiving.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

As I have stated on Clutchfans many times, I am the Houston tech rep for Callaway Golf. I do know everything about golf clubs, enough to bore you to tears. I was working all weekend and just saw this thread.

Your $40 set is crap. But you don't have to spend a lot on used golf clubs and you can do fine with even a cheap box set. Just make sure you get a set with plenty of offset, and a deep cavity back so they are easier to play. For your driver get enough loft and a light enough shaft, fairway woods matter less but more lofted ones will be easier to hit, pass on the 3 wood , get a 4 if you can, also get a 5 and maybe a 7.

For better golfers all that above is not necessarily true.

Anybody with golf questions can email me though the board.

#22 Dubious, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Nice, glad to know this. I got one of the Callaway 4h diablo's and I'm loving it. Thinking about getting the 2h as well.

Earlier this year I picked up a set of used 2006 Big Bertha's and that has made golf a lot more enjoyable for me. I'm only bad now instead of terrible. I had been trying to play with some old Titleist blades for a while and that made things way more difficult than they needed to be.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Two words....

Beer Girl

Golf does not have to be boring :grin:

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The 2h is 17 degrees, pretty flat, will probably side spin. Try a 5 wood. Same loft but bigger head, lower center of gravity (1" longer shaft can be a little harder to square though).

The choice is just the user's preference.

6. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I can't tell you how you did unless you take a picture of the back of the blade.

You'll probably find that you can use the irons for a long time and anything else you buy would be a minor upgrade until you get a lot better. However, you can probably do a lot better than those woods - the technology for woods has come a long way in the last 10-15 years.

Someone was assuming that the irons were blades, but they don't look it from the picture. Even if they were, I learned to play golf with blades - it's not that big of a deal.

7. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Yeah these clubs look lightly used by based on the style they're pretty old. At the same time, it does come with a bag and everything. You really can't get a full set with a bag for any less than $40, so it's a pretty good buy.