1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I hereby, make this promise!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hottoddie, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

If Major League Baseball goes on strike for the 9th time since 1972, I hereby, without reservation, make this promise: I will never attend or view another professional baseball game again, for as long as I live.

I'm sick & tired of this crap. :mad:

The players may be the product, but the fans are the customers. If you have no customers, the product sits on the shelf & spoils, & ultimately, the business goes out of business.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I've heard this before.

3. Hottoddie

Not from me. I can only speak for myself.

4. Major

Major Member

If Major League Baseball goes on strike for the 9th time since 1972

Have they really gone on strike 9 times in 30 years? Wow.

The players may be the product, but the fans are the customers. If you have no customers, the product sits on the shelf & spoils, & ultimately, the business goes out of business.

That's only if all the fans leave. If 5% of the fans leave, then MLB just reduces salaries and carries on their merry way.

5. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

Sadly...I cannot make the same declaration as Hottoddie...

If they strike again, I will come back as I always do. I love the game too much and I love the 'Stros too much. I will watch every game and attend periodically. I can't stay away too long. :(

6. Hottoddie

Unfortunately, you're right. The fans are like sheep & let the sport lead them around by the nose. I wonder what percentage of lost fans it would take to get their attention?

7. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

If this strike/dispute actually leads to an equal playing field for each and every team in baseball, and each and every team can be as competitive as the next, then I might, for the first time in many, many, many years, actually be interested.

8. Major

Major Member

If this strike/dispute actually leads to an equal playing field for each and every team in baseball, and each and every team can be as competitive as the next, then I might, for the first time in many, many, many years, actually be interested.

Exactly. From the owner's perspective, for every fan lost in NY or Houston or St. Louis, new ones will be gained in Florida or Kansas City if the owners actually fix the competitive balance issues.

9. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh a couple of year ago and some guy called in and said that MLB owners should fire all of the MLB players and make the league consist of all minor league player. LAMO. That is the funniest thing I've ever heard. :D Who wants to go see a bunch of Joe Smoes play.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I can't make that same promise either...and it's not that I can't stay away from baseball, it's just my love for sports in general. Baseball happens to be at a time when no other major sports are really going on (I'm not a big WNBA fan), so I am pretty much forced to watch it, and I usually get into it. If baseball started in the fall and ended in the spring, I'd never watch it over the Rockets or any football game. '

11. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I did this after the last strike. No promises, I’d just had enough, and I haven’t seen any more than a few innings of any one game, and probably not as much as the equivalent of a whole game in any year since. It has disappeared from my radar. I’m pretty sure George Bell isn’t playing for the Blue Jays anymore, but I couldn’t tell you who is. It’s too bad you don’t get much CFL coverage down there. It starts in late June, and is close to midseason now.